Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

resurface OEM flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 01:14 PM
nwdriftking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resurface OEM flywheel?

I was wondering if anyone has ever resurfaced their OEM flywheel? because when I burned up my OEM clutch/flywheel after I installed my turbo kit I ended up replacing the clutch with a JWT clutch and got my flywheel resurfaced the car hasn't ever started up right ever since. It take a few seconds for the car to turnover. The scantool said it was the POS sensor but when we replaced the sensor the same thing happens.
We called up Nissan and they said that the flywheel has some magenetic pick-up points on it or something and when we resurfaced the flywheel, it must have demagnetized it. So when they told me how much a new OEM flywheel cost I almost sh*t in my pants, $968!
I was then going to get an lightened flywheel but someone told me not to get one because it's bad for turbo cars. So I'm hoping someone would sell me there OEM flywheel when they replaced it with a lightened flywheel.

Tony
Old 06-13-2004, 03:13 PM
apsilon

Default Re: resurface OEM flywheel?

Originally posted by nwdriftking
I was then going to get an lightened flywheel but someone told me not to get one because it's bad for turbo cars.
Ask that person why it's bad. I must have missed it during the 5 years I had a light aluminium flywheel on my aftermarket turbo car.

Re the start up problem and these magenetic pick-up points I suspect the aftermarket flywheels don't have them so why don't they have start up problems? You may want to consider going to another dealer for a second opinion.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:48 PM
nwdriftking

Default Re: Re: resurface OEM flywheel?

Originally posted by apsilon
Ask that person why it's bad. I must have missed it during the 5 years I had a light aluminium flywheel on my aftermarket turbo car.

Re the start up problem and these magenetic pick-up points I suspect the aftermarket flywheels don't have them so why don't they have start up problems? You may want to consider going to another dealer for a second opinion.
Hmmm...never thought of that one. Thanks, I will go ask for a second opinion.
Does anyone else have a lightened flywheel on their turbo Z? or anyone else ever heard of this problem?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very interesting considering that......

the retail price on a NISMO flywheel is $600!!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:52 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you want a used oem fly wheel with about 18k on it? ive got one id let go for 100 shipped. pm me if interested and i can post pics it has plenty of life left on it.