Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New flywheel install problem! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:23 PM
SammyJL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New flywheel install problem! Help!

I just had an Exedy clutch/flywheel installed today. When we started the car it ran like crap. Later we discovered, after much investigating, that the tranny has a crank position sensor on the flywheel. The original flywheel has little notches around the perimeter that the sensor reads for starting the car. Well the new one doesn't.

We unplugged the sensor and now the car runs fine, but the car is very hard to start. You have to crank it for 5-10 seconds before it starts.

Has anybody heard of this problem and have you found a solution for it? Others have replaced their flywheels yet I have not been able to find any problems mentioned in this forum.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:00 PM
scz

I also haven't heard of anything like that but you might want to try to message either jason@performance or jeff@performance.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have put in the exedy carbon clutch and flywheel combo... if i remember correctly it did not have a crank position pin hole in it but it was marked with a paint stripe also used to match up the pressure plate to the flywheel...

sorry to say... but I think you gotta pull the trans and take care of that...
Old 07-02-2004, 09:08 PM
SammyJL

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
we have put in the exedy carbon clutch and flywheel combo... if i remember correctly it did not have a crank position pin hole in it but it was marked with a paint stripe also used to match up the pressure plate to the flywheel...

sorry to say... but I think you gotta pull the trans and take care of that...
My stock flywheel has a "signal plate" welded to the flywheel that aligns to a sensor that is accessible from the lower outside of the tranny on the drivers side. I checked on a 350Z as well as my G35 and both cars have it. My G35 is a 2003.5 model. The signal plate has notches about 1 inch apart all the way around the circumference of the plate and is about the same diameter as the flywheel. If you remove the sensor from the tranny the car runs like crap and if you unplug the sensor harness the car runs fine but is extremely hard to start and it will also throw an error code to the ECU.

Somebody else must have had this same problem. I can't be the only one can I? Maybe it is different for Canadian cars vs US cars?

Last edited by SammyJL; 07-02-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:20 PM
uro279

how good is the exedy line?

where can i find there web site?

thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we are an exedy dealer as well... i just havent had timeto get it all on the web site...

the exedy carbon clutch we have installed is pretty wicked... it is a better performing clutch then stock... when cold it will slip like crazy... but once you get it warm it is very grabby and awesome to drive... it doesnt rev like a tilton.. but their carbon clutch and flywheel is one that will last the life of the car...
Old 07-05-2004, 08:43 AM
SammyJL

the exedy carbon clutch we have installed is pretty wicked... it is a better performing clutch then stock... when cold it will slip like crazy... but once you get it warm it is very grabby and awesome to drive... it doesnt rev like a tilton.. but their carbon clutch and flywheel is one that will last the life of the car...
Did you actually install it in a 350Z or a G35? I can't see how anyone could get around the crank position sensor problem without some sort of fix.

For those of you with the electronic service manual the signal plate is described on page EM-97.

Last edited by SammyJL; 07-05-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:35 PM
scz

So jason, did you or jeff have this problem with your tilton's?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bet your new flywheel has the crank trigger plate on it, and that you just installed it wrong. You have to put the flywheel on the crank at the right angle or you will loose the TDC and the signal will come thru at the wrong time and everything will be timed wrong.

take a little light and look thru the hole in the transmission housing with a light and see if the signal plate is in there... i bet it is, just lined up wrong.

If the signal plate is not there, sorry to say but there is no fix for this. You will have to get a new flywheel in there that has the signal plate. This means doing the entire job over again.

-Charles
Old 07-08-2004, 06:54 AM
SammyJL

Originally posted by phunk
i bet your new flywheel has the crank trigger plate on it, and that you just installed it wrong. You have to put the flywheel on the crank at the right angle or you will loose the TDC and the signal will come thru at the wrong time and everything will be timed wrong.

take a little light and look thru the hole in the transmission housing with a light and see if the signal plate is in there... i bet it is, just lined up wrong.

If the signal plate is not there, sorry to say but there is no fix for this. You will have to get a new flywheel in there that has the signal plate. This means doing the entire job over again.

-Charles
There is no signal plate on the new flywheel. There will be a fix but it will be done electronically not mechanicaly. The car runs fine without the sensor plugged in, it's just very hard to start. If you leave the sensor installed then it starts just fine but runs like crap. So the solution would be to electronically disconnect the sensor after the car has started. That should solve any issues.

My question is why doesn't Exedy supply the signal plate with their flywheel and do other manufacturers like Tilton supply it?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:02 AM
esemes

sorry 2 hear this!!

does the tilton and/or the JWT have the correct signl plate, so as to perform startup and operation correctly??

im about 2" from calling jason and ordering the JWT or tilton!!

help!?!

-eS