Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Crank Pulley Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:45 AM
joust75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Squeak

I recently had the UR crank pulley installed. No belt slippage or anything but there is a rhythmic squeak squeak sound that occurs steadily as if with the rotation.
Mossy Nissan installed it, so I am not too worried, but I am getting annoyed since this squeak sound makes my car sound like a junker.

I repeat this is not the sound of belt slippage. It is something else. Steady and rhythmic. Has/does anyone had/have this problem?

If so... how to get rid of it??

Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 07:43 AM
uklooney

You will need to install a mouse trap to cure this problem....
Old 07-07-2004, 08:17 AM
mattg85

Over the winter I had an UR crankshaft pulley installed in my Z. I thought it was just a mild squeak for the first few days or a week, but within 10 days I had to get it towed back to the Nissan dealer because the belt fell off of the pulley while I was driving. They didn't know how to install it correctly. My advice is to take it back and have them make sure its not too tight or otherwise misinstalled.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:01 AM
protocav

i posted about this about a week ago. i have the same sound, and was concerned that something was wrong. i made sure the belts were tight, and still had the sound that you described.

someone suggested that since the factory damper in the crank pulley was eliminated, this sound is due to the normal sound of the belts rotating. i have the same sound, so i think it is just a characteristic of the pulley, and not a problem.

rest assured...
Old 07-07-2004, 12:00 PM
joust75

Originally posted by protocav
i posted about this about a week ago. i have the same sound, and was concerned that something was wrong. i made sure the belts were tight, and still had the sound that you described.

someone suggested that since the factory damper in the crank pulley was eliminated, this sound is due to the normal sound of the belts rotating. i have the same sound, so i think it is just a characteristic of the pulley, and not a problem.

rest assured...
So does this sound go away??? It wasnt there at first!!! It bothers the hell out of me. My Z sounds like a Pinto!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 PM
mgtibbetts

I don't have any squeaking with my crank pulley. Can't hear crap though over the sound of my K&N Typhoon.

Seriously though, I've put my ear down near the pulley and couldn't hear anything.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:33 PM
DeeZee

ok, i had the same problem. the thing that fixed it for me was new belts. the "recomended" belts (the ones listed in the directions) are WRONG! if you tighten those belts, you will MAX OUT you idler pullyes. they NEED TO BE in the CENTER of their adjustable limits. you need to get shorter belts. i dont remember the part #, but i used gates belts. ask jeff, or jason @ performance nissan, they gave me the part #'s i needed. (i think it was jeff?) or do a search for gates pulley belt sizes mabey? the problem with your belts now is you CANT tighten them enhuf! after you change them, it will go away! mine havent done it since. at least 6-8 months ago. hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 PM
joust75

Originally posted by DeeZee
ok, i had the same problem. the thing that fixed it for me was new belts. the "recomended" belts (the ones listed in the directions) are WRONG! if you tighten those belts, you will MAX OUT you idler pullyes. they NEED TO BE in the CENTER of their adjustable limits. you need to get shorter belts. i dont remember the part #, but i used gates belts. ask jeff, or jason @ performance nissan, they gave me the part #'s i needed. (i think it was jeff?) or do a search for gates pulley belt sizes mabey? the problem with your belts now is you CANT tighten them enhuf! after you change them, it will go away! mine havent done it since. at least 6-8 months ago. hope this helps.

It sounds like you might be describing belt slip and squeal.

This is not the problem. Are you sure you had the same problem I had?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:10 AM
DeeZee

all i know is it was a VERY loud noise. it happened mostly when it was cold.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:16 AM
joust75

Originally posted by DeeZee
all i know is it was a VERY loud noise. it happened mostly when it was cold.
Yeah that means loose pulley squeal. That is a loud shreiking sound.

Mine is a muted squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak, and it only happens once the car is warmed up. Never when cold.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 AM
DeeZee

????????