Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

320whp Na

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 01:11 PM
genieman17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 320whp Na

Ok I wanted to ask you guys a question. Maybe it's because the Z is just too new and some stuff hasn't been developed well enough yet. There is a k20a2 motor (rsx type s) that is pushing 320whp @ 9000 and 201 pounds of torque to the wheels. This is NA. I'm wondering why a motor with 75% more displacement can't even equal these kinds of numbers. I know that the vq doesnt spin to 9000, but i'm sure with internals (which the k20a has done) it can spin past 7200. This k20a is stroked from 2.0 to 2.3 liters, however, the 4.3 liter aebs kit only increases stroke and by a lot, so that wouldn't seem like a useful solution, maybe something that would increase the strong slightly so as not to kill the "reviness" of the motor. So slight bump in displacement, fully built internals, maybe even individual throttle bodies, 320whp NA??? not that 320whp is a huge hurdle considering the difference in displacement...but it's a start

like is here: but you will need to register.

http://www.k20a.org/phpBB2/viewtopic...ight=potential
Old 07-29-2004, 01:56 PM
ypwpat

Yes you can change the internal to 8000. The new Nismo S-1 Engine Kit said it can go to max 8000 rpm without any problem. But i don't think S-1 Tune kit can give u the figure u want. more likely 300 hp on crank.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
John@Victory

what is a cost on this kit?who sells it?
this may be what im looking for
Old 07-29-2004, 04:46 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ypwpat
Yes you can change the internal to 8000. The new Nismo S-1 Engine Kit said it can go to max 8000 rpm without any problem. But i don't think S-1 Tune kit can give u the figure u want. more likely 300 hp on crank.

Cheers
The S1 sports resetting package is only available to J-spec owners. They ask for your VIN when you purchase the package, and make you install it at a NISMO dealer.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:13 PM
nuff

I think a lot of the parts you are looking for are on this page. You will need the nismo crankshaft, it should allow you to rev to 8500rpm. You might also need the heads, cams, oil pump, rods, ECU and stack of other parts and tuning. It's possible, but at the moment very expensive.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:04 PM
nuttyprof

dude. look at the torque of that little engine. im sure if we traded lots of our torque for high end, we could surpass that number. just that nobody has done it yet.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:02 AM
S12 driver

The K-series motors are very untapped in stock form, bolt-ons make great power on them. But the VQ engine is pretty well tuned from the factory, and it's not designed to rev that high. I guess if someone bore out and deestroked the VQ motor, do some extensive head work and custome grind cams that make power up to 9000 rpm like the k20, it can probably surpass 320whp.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:23 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hp is not the same as torque. i know the k series can spin to 9000 but can it make more tq, no. the z is superior bc at 320whp its gonna be making 280+ wtq.

remember hp is not real its a function based on tq and rpm. so whats more important the amount of work (hp) an engine does, or its brute strength (tq)?

do you have any 1/4 times for that car? i bet it cant do more than a low 13
Old 07-30-2004, 05:36 AM
genieman17

tonylittell: I'm not exactly sure if this is sold as a kit yet, but it has been developed by hytech and has been estimated at $13,000, so not exactly cheap....

nuff: that site has a lot of the things that can be used to build an NA monster. I guess I never really heard of anyone building a VQ monster because those parts are still relatively expensive compared to honda/acura 4 cylinder parts...

nuttyprof: i'm not suggesting that someone should swap the vq for a k20 by any means. all i was pointing out is that with some serious work 320whp and 201 torque is possible on a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, this should mean that with some good internals (and bolt-ons) similar kinda of products that were added to the k20 should give the vq some power. The reason i mainly brought it up is because i daily see postings of people arguing over which exhaust will give them the extra 1/2 horsepower over the next and which intake gives the most, it kinda seems useless when such higher capabilities are out there (granted those other capabilities are very very expensive)

PoWeRtRiP: i'm not necessarily comparing the k20 to the vq and saying that the k20 is better because it has more hp...i'm saying that for its size (with some heavy investing) it has very high outputs. I'm thinking that if someone (with much deeper pockets than me) invested some money into the vq for similar internal building, serious power can be had...

i agree that the k20 is not great with torque, but 201 pounds of torque at the wheels for a motor that starts with 142 at the crank is pretty good. thats a 50% increase in torque at the wheels (rough estimate) i think that if tuners focused their attention on internals more and developed some good parts, much higher power numbers would be possible, hopefully this will all happen before nissan develops their next engine
Old 07-30-2004, 05:40 AM
PoWeRtRiP

well theres always the aebs stroker kit. but that does take some deep pockets.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:48 AM
genieman17

i read about the stroker kit...it's basically just like adding all new internals which is a good thing, but then the stroke is huge, so that will limit how much the engine can rev...it will limit power, but it will make a lot of torque. Personally, and some might disagree...i'd rather have a motor that revs to 8k rpm with less torque, rather than a motor that revs to 5k rpm but has enough torque to pull a tree out of the ground...meaning if i want a truck with a diesel motor that has 700 pounds of torque and 200 hp thats one thing...i just dont want that in a sports car...that may be just me though...i dunno...just thinking out loud i guess...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:54 AM
PoWeRtRiP

well according to aebs the stroker kit can rev to 8k. they do increase the stroke but they also add lighter, balanced internal components which can handle the added stress of higher rpms. the stock z is good up to 7200 rpms.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:56 AM
genieman17

i checked the site that nuff linked, but the kit has no price. How much does it cost? The kit only does the bottom end of the engine right? meaning no cams or valve springs or any other head modifications? And do they have some sort of power estimate?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:01 AM
PoWeRtRiP

only bottom end. i want to say the price is 7500? plus install of course. you would definitely need to do some headwork (cams, p&p, valvetrain, etc) if you did this. power estimates are unknown as of yet since no one has tried it. id guess at least 350 whp though, since your increasing it by .8l and similar tq.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:06 AM
genieman17

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
only bottom end. i want to say the price is 7500? plus install of course. you would definitely need to do some headwork (cams, p&p, valvetrain, etc) if you did this. power estimates are unknown as of yet since no one has tried it. id guess at least 350 whp though, since your increasing it by .8l and similar tq.
isn't that how much forced induction kits cost? and don't those produce similar gains? how come no one wants to mess with internals? where are the deep-pocketed "no horsepower is ever enough" people?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:13 AM
nuff

Well, I didn't intend to link to aebs kit, scroll down to the nismo parts if all you want is high reving engine.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Methane

The AEBS Stroket kit with headers should yield 400 whp and a bit more wtq.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:35 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally posted by Methane
The AEBS Stroket kit with headers should yield 400 whp and a bit more wtq.
if the head can flow that much...the biggest area of controversy right now is if the vq can flow enough air at higher rpms thru the head. and if it can make those numbers n/a. there is a reason why nismo released a new head for the z.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:24 AM
time4aspliff

This is just purely my opinion but I don't see the logic behind souping up a front wheel drive car.

If the RSX (Integra) was based on a (full-time) 4WD platform with a factory turbo, I'd take it hands down over an EVO, WRX, Legacy, or SRT.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:55 AM
genieman17

Originally posted by time4aspliff
This is just purely my opinion but I don't see the logic behind souping up a front wheel drive car.

If the RSX (Integra) was based on a (full-time) 4WD platform with a factory turbo, I'd take it hands down over an EVO, WRX, Legacy, or SRT.
There are people who would use this for purely drag reasons, I, however, came across this from a different perspective...The lotus elise uses a cellica gts motor, but one of the (somewhat) popular mods is to swap a k20 instead of the 2zz. So i started lookin at the k20 and found that. Having 320whp, or even close to it...even 250whp in a car that weighs 1900 pounds is pretty sick...i'd go for one of those!!

Quick Reply: 320whp Na