Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR Crank Pulley...Warranty Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:55 PM
murrman100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by toothlessracer
thanks for the info Murrman.

do you happen to know who owns that burnt orange Z I always see parked @ performance nissan?
That's Jeff's car and Jason has the silver/blue/black Z.
Stop by there and have them take you for a ride in their cars.
They love it.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:24 PM
murrman100

When I spoke with Jeff last week, he was getting an HKS supercharger put in. KICK A$$!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:36 PM
JBrady

If the crank pulley has an integral harmonic/vibration dampener... you do NOT want to remove it. There is a very good reason virtually EVERY production engine on the planet has a dampener and it is NOT to balance the rotational weight of the engine. The reason is to dissipate both torsional and harmonic stresses that ALL engines have. There are large tech articles on these stresses and strict advise on not running without them.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:38 PM
mlemieux137

so........is it safe or not to install pullies considering the long term wear and tear?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:40 PM
hungster

Originally posted by JBrady
If the crank pulley has an integral harmonic/vibration dampener... you do NOT want to remove it. There is a very good reason virtually EVERY production engine on the planet has a dampener and it is NOT to balance the rotational weight of the engine. The reason is to dissipate both torsional and harmonic stresses that ALL engines have. There are large tech articles on these stresses and strict advise on not running without them.
yes this is exactly what im talking about, you do not want to get a crank pulley that does not have it. and most aftermarket pullies dont, including UR pullies. It cost alot of money to produce a pulley that has enough RnD on it.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:41 PM
hungster

Originally posted by mlemieux137
so........is it safe or not to install pullies considering the long term wear and tear?
simply put, NO, in the long run it can hurt your motor, but its your car, and its up to you to access if the risk is worth the power.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:43 PM
mlemieux137

well then why are jeff and jason putting it in thier cars if they know its bad for the car?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:44 PM
mlemieux137

also, in any thread i have never heard them talk of it damaging the engine in any way whether it be short term or long term
Old 08-08-2004, 05:00 PM
lowrider

This is a topic that's been debated to death on this forum. Both sides have points. However, in my case, I feel it prudent to keep the stock pulley. I've read both sides and talked to Performance Nissan, and Crawford Z Car. Performance says Yes - Crawford says No.

Lou
Old 08-08-2004, 05:06 PM
hungster

like i said, its your car, you can weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:41 PM
ericinmiami

This has been debated over and over....

if you check the search and look back... someone very inteligent and knowing on our cars, and cars in general stated something to the fact that our cars don't have a stabilizer built into the stock pullies that there is some other mechanism on the drivetrain or something...

I don't know the mechanics completely... however the more experienced and knowledgeable people came to an agreement that UR pullies on our cars were safe due to the proof showing our cars stock pullies not containing any stabilizers.

Sorry couldn't help more.
I have the pullies (whole set) and have had no problems either with the crank pulley or the accessory ones.
-Eric
Old 08-08-2004, 09:00 PM
murrman100

Originally posted by ericinmiami
This has been debated over and over....

if you check the search and look back... someone very inteligent and knowing on our cars, and cars in general stated something to the fact that our cars don't have a stabilizer built into the stock pullies that there is some other mechanism on the drivetrain or something...

I don't know the mechanics completely... however the more experienced and knowledgeable people came to an agreement that UR pullies on our cars were safe due to the proof showing our cars stock pullies not containing any stabilizers.

Sorry couldn't help more.
I have the pullies (whole set) and have had no problems either with the crank pulley or the accessory ones.
-Eric
I agree. Jeff and Jason are managers at Performance Nissan and they said to me that if there is a problem related to any after market part that they install and recommend that they will honor your oem and extended warranty.

If you could see their cars and what they do at Perf Nissan, it would not be an issue.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:52 PM
al503

I just did a Blackstone lab analysis on my oil after some extended WOT twisty fun. Everything looked good except for an elevated level of copper. Take it FWIW:

http://www.g-owners.com/pic_display.asp?id=695
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Steel Heals

Originally posted by mlemieux137
Regarding the warranty issue, remember Magnusson vs. Moss

i dont know anything about this.
Here is one reference I pulled from the web. Basically, the dealer has to prove that your modifications caused a failure to deny a warranty claim.

http://www.ptuning.com/html/faq.htm
Old 08-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by murrman100
Jeff and Jason at Perfomance Nissan highly recommended these UR pulleys and they said that the Z's engine is internally balanced.
They even said that it could lengthen the life of the engine because of the lighter weight of the pulleys.
they also recommend rt cats....given all the problems i don't know why they would do this....i really like performance nissan and i have ordered lots of parts from them so this is not intended to be a diss. there are many pros and cons on this topic....just do your research and then make a decision that you think would be best for YOU ....rw....peace out kidz...
Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Tim'sZ

My dealer installed mine and they have not voided my warranty at all.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually the stock pulleys are not balanced, it is a cast piece which makes it difficult to ever get perfect balance on due to impurities in the mold. whereas the ur pulleys are made from forged processes which allows them to be balanced much better than the stock ever could. also the engine is a v-design which requires it to be internally balanced as opposed to an inline engine which uses externdal dampening.

this topic has been beat to death. ive had mine for 20000 miles and my engine still runs fine.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 AM
black350

Are the pulleys really worth the money or the debate? From what ive noticed, 6hp really isnt much of a gain...I just want to know if you can even tell a difference. I myself am very interested, but then 300+ dollars for that much improvement kinda makes my thing twice about buying. Is it possible that these "forged" ur pulleys can actually make the engine last longer? And what other non-warrantee effecting mods are there? (aside from the pop charger)
Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what items are warranteeable depends on your dealer. and i would say that the ur pulleys produced the second biggest difference in my cars power, behind only my jwt flywheel. it not only adds power (everywhere on the rpm range) it also makes the car more responsive and rev faster. if you have not drived one with the ur pulleys you shouldnt say that it wont make much of a diff. and i believe the crank pully alone can be had for <200
Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM
black350

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
what items are warranteeable depends on your dealer. and i would say that the ur pulleys produced the second biggest difference in my cars power, behind only my jwt flywheel. it not only adds power (everywhere on the rpm range) it also makes the car more responsive and rev faster. if you have not drived one with the ur pulleys you shouldnt say that it wont make much of a diff. and i believe the crank pully alone can be had for <200
haha, wonderful!! i think i just might know what my next mod may be. thanks.

Quick Reply: UR Crank Pulley...Warranty Safe?