Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The Unfortunate Adventures in Stillen-land

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Zoomy_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still having a hard time with the whole "RT cats are causing a lack of boost", thing.

How would that be possible? Boost is simply possitive pressure applied to the intake track. That's all. For the cats to cause INTAKE pressure to drop there would have to major valve overlap. Your talking blowing a crap load of air through the jugs. Not to mention that all 24 valves would have to be open at the same time on a running engine, you would not be making any compression at all. I would be amazed if the engine would run.
Sounds more like the S/C is putting a ridiculous load on the motor and the loss of horepower is paracitic losses from a bad S/C.

Now the computer pulling timing....to the tune of 60hp possible I guess, but a stock computer? Does the stock computer have the ability to pull that much timimg? I know the GM ECU's don't that why us NO2 junkies custom burn/or edit our own ECU programs.

If an eaton S/C is making that much of a racket I would look there. Every eaton I've ever seen was pretty quiet.

Can someone explain to me how high flow cats are causing boost to drop, I'm a noob with these cars do maybe there something I'm missing. I hade a turbo 280z when I was in high school and my biggest dyno run was without most of the exhaust, it was turbo/downpipe....period.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Happyending
Banned

1) your cats are 1005 NOT an issue...

2) if your shredding belts there is a reason for it..Trust me..

3) your SC sounds like its broken!!

4) No, the stock ECU would never pull THAT much timing.

Stillen + 350z + your $$$$$=
Steallin's products suck..Period..

Did you purchase this blower less than 6 months ago on a credit card?If so utilize your consumer protection and dispute the charges on the grounds of a defective item and you attempted to return it but they refused...Stop the troubleshooting and get that blower off the car.Period.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:17 AM
bascelik

Well, my wife had the displeasure of speaking to Stillen service. I spoke too soon about getting somewhere. Here's the deal:

Their R&D guys are definitely interested in the problem and to resolve it. However, they DO NOT dictate company policy. Unfortunately, Stillen's policy in this case is as follows:

* I uninstall the blower at my cost
* I send them the blower at my cost
* They verify whether something is wrong withthe blower
* They send it to Magnuson for fixing, if 'repairable'
* Once fixed (or replaced, if not fixable), they send back the unit to me
* I re-install the blower at my cost

Notice I'm out a car and probably a $1000 for this. Also notice they have successfully swindled a no-cost resolution for them (due to blower's 1 year warranty) save for the shipping back cost (and I wonder about that too).

So, bottom line is that this company is out to save a penny everywhere they can, and customer satisfaction is the least of their priorities. I'm sorry to say but the 'expensive piece of equipment' (qouting service guy when he was referring to the blower) is more valuable than my good word, or my satisfaction, regardless of what I purchased.

They were so adamant on keeping that policy that, after pleading our case with vice president, they did not budge even a bit.

What we requested: that they send us a new blower, while they examine existing one. They can keep the old one and, if not broken, can sell it again, or do whatever they please wth it. If broken, they have coverage through Magnusson, so they'd be okay.

My wife got so upset on the phone with them, she was in tears, but it did no good.

So, my suggestion for those purchasing Stillen: know what you're getting. I guarantee you these guys are NOT going to be there when things go wrong. You'll pay for everything, warranty or not. How long, do you think, before something breaks in the application? If I knew what I know now, I'd have never made a purchase. Screw CARB, this ain't worth it.

More updates to follow, as we go through this case...
Old 08-24-2004, 08:22 AM
bascelik

Originally posted by Happyending
1) your cats are 1005 NOT an issue...

2) if your shredding belts there is a reason for it..Trust me..

3) your SC sounds like its broken!!

4) No, the stock ECU would never pull THAT much timing.

Stillen + 350z + your $$$$$=
Steallin's products suck..Period..

Did you purchase this blower less than 6 months ago on a credit card?If so utilize your consumer protection and dispute the charges on the grounds of a defective item and you attempted to return it but they refused...Stop the troubleshooting and get that blower off the car.Period.
I'm 110% sure that,if I asked for a refund on the kit, Stillen would echo a resounding NO. If I then went on to dispute through my credit cards (I've made purchase using two cards), it'd be a long, drawn-out battle, lasting months, and I'd be without a car during that time. Not sure I can bargain with that. They sure got me hooked.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Zmego1985

Omg stillen is pissing me off and its not even my car this time.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Happyending
Banned

Dude.
Call both your credit cards and dispute the charge and say that the product was defective and that they (Stillen) Expected you to consume unreasonable and unnesisarry cost to get the item replaced..You wuill hit stillen where it hurts by taking their money back.What the credit card does is charge back the money from their bank pending an investigation, you supply them with your proof that the item was defective and the shipping costs,removal cost , re-install cost ect..You get the picture...dont mention anything about what Stillen wanted to do, just say they would NOT honor the warranty and refund or return the item that was defective.It cost you nothing,take the blower off and return the car to stock and get your moneyback from your CC companies, both of them..Trust me I did this to wheelmax on a set of rims that came chipped from them and I got 100% of my $$$ back AND kept the wheels..Just **** Stillen then I guarantee they will be more kind to help you once they are out the $5000 and you got their blower then the ball is in YOUR court my friend!!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

I would seriously send an email to Steve Millen himself or call him. I know that he would not like whats happening here one bit.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Happyending
Banned

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
I would seriously send an email to Steve Millen himself or call him. I know that he would not like whats happening here one bit.
He doesnt give a $hit!He's in it to make $$$...Period!
I dealt with Alex Cates when he was there and he was very condensending and threatening towards me..All he did was talk and when I complained he told me I was being rude!!WTF!!Like he was my Dad or something..Bottom line STILLEN sucks,their products suck,their customer service sucks,their reputation sucks!!Why do you think they are no longer sponsors on the LARGEST Nissan 350Z website with over 30,000 potential customers of their products..Cause they are cheap and they suck..
Old 08-24-2004, 10:23 AM
MIAPLAYA

He doesnt give a $hit!He's in it to make $$$...Period!
I dealt with Alex Cates when he was there and he was very condensending and threatening towards me..All he did was talk and when I complained he told me I was being rude!!WTF!!Like he was my Dad or something..Bottom line STILLEN sucks,their products suck,their customer service sucks,their reputation sucks!!Why do you think they are no longer sponsors on the LARGEST Nissan 350Z website with over 30,000 potential customers of their products..Cause they are cheap and they suck..
I dont disagree. I'm just saying that maybe it MIGHT be worth a shot. I have never and will never buy a Stillen product but I think just being mad is going to get his blower fixed. Maybe Steve Millen will do something. He doesn't know until he tries.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:33 PM
lorinserbenz

Disputing the charge is the way to go. Regardless if they dont give you your money back at least you get the SC warrantied. I have won every dipsute I have ever filed, I think you stand an excellent chance.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Happyending
Banned

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
I dont disagree. I'm just saying that maybe it MIGHT be worth a shot. I have never and will never buy a Stillen product but I think just being mad is going to get his blower fixed. Maybe Steve Millen will do something. He doesn't know until he tries.

Sure..In a perfect world the CEO of a multimillion dollar company is going to answer his own E-mails and send the guy a new blower out of the kindness of his heart.
Waste of time, and besides whats Steve Millens E-mail address?Stevemillen@stevemillen.com??
Not flaming you I just think his best course of action to get Stealins attention is to TAKE THE MONEY BACK!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
AndyHoward

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I would speak to the credit card companies, they are very good at getting your money back for purchases that do not match the description / warrenty offered to when you purchased it. i.e. the start of your contract with Stillen.

The CC Companies will credit you, normally within the first initial investigation (normally 1-2 weeks) . And then try and get the money back for themselves from Stillen. So you dont need to worry about it

I have done it many times without problem. I think the suppliers are s**t scared of VISA / AMEX etc and wont want to lose their ability to use their service.

I have found that even mentioning that you are going to use your rights to a refund from your Credit Card, this normally causes a positive response from a supplier.

Good luck.

Andy
Old 08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
MIAPLAYA

Sure..In a perfect world the CEO of a multimillion dollar company is going to answer his own E-mails and send the guy a new blower out of the kindness of his heart.
Waste of time, and besides whats Steve Millens E-mail address?Stevemillen@stevemillen.com??
Not flaming you I just think his best course of action to get Stealins attention is to TAKE THE MONEY BACK!!!
Actually there is webpage dedicated to hatred of Stillen and even on that webpage the author says that he contact Steve Millen personally and got an issue resolved. Here is the webpage http://www.stillensucks.com/stillensuckshomepage.htm
and here is the link to the article in which Steve Millen himself got pissed about an issue with one of their products. Sort of...

http://www.stillensucks.com/rear_stb.htm
Old 08-24-2004, 04:09 PM
bascelik

This is the wifey here: Thank you all for your suggestions. They are excellent suggestions and I will be looking into all of the avenues mentioned. It's just such a pisser that we have to do this on our vacation. Of note, after my tears and minor hysteria, stillen CS offered to pay for the cost of us to overnight the blower to them. One minor battle won....on to the next one.
Also, one of the things I intend to do is to file a complaint with the BBB. They are a BBB member and I checked their record and they only had one complaint on record. Not to be a nag, but considering the number of disgruntled and extremely annoyed opinions, I do urge you all to at least file a complaint with BBB so that some sort of picture is apparent to the unsuspecting.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:12 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by bascelik
This is the wifey here: Thank you all for your suggestions. They are excellent suggestions and I will be looking into all of the avenues mentioned. It's just such a pisser that we have to do this on our vacation. Of note, after my tears and minor hysteria, stillen CS offered to pay for the cost of us to overnight the blower to them. One minor battle won....on to the next one.
Also, one of the things I intend to do is to file a complaint with the BBB. They are a BBB member and I checked their record and they only had one complaint on record. Not to be a nag, but considering the number of disgruntled and extremely annoyed opinions, I do urge you all to at least file a complaint with BBB so that some sort of picture is apparent to the unsuspecting.
Yeah there aren't TOO many BBB businesses that have a website dedicated to their horrible service
Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 PM
02MaximizedVQ

I will never purchase anything from Stillen! I gaurantee you they get 100's of calls each year from "clients" who's parts do not perform at all, or up to advertised expectations. I bet they label these cases as "customer installation error" or some such write-off of a sorry a$$ excuse and roll their eyes while they're doing their very best to resolve the problem....yeah right!

On the Maxima forums, the most horsepower I ever saw produced by their headers was 4hp and they advertise almost 5 times that. On average the gain was zero!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Durrr

my boss before I was in the navy was president and CEO of a multimillion dollar real estate training corporation, and if you called him, you got to talk to him, period.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Happyending
Banned

Originally posted by Durrr
my boss before I was in the navy was president and CEO of a multimillion dollar real estate training corporation, and if you called him, you got to talk to him, period.
Was he the president of Stillen?No?Ok then...He was one of the few people that actually cared and believed in the old motto "if you want something done right, do it yourself"..Stillen is a DOUCHEBAG..Period...I met him at a convention and he is a cocky ***** who is worth Millions and knows it, and does not care about you,only your $$$$ you will give to him..
Their product claims are rediculous,their technical service is a laughing stock, and their products are cheap *** knock offs of REAL companies stuff. They will promise you the world when you are giving them your credit card info, but once they got your money it's a whole different ball game.
For a company that offers a 3year warranty on the ENGINE with their blower (cant wait to see the first person that has to try and take them up on that one ) and claims to have "THE BEST" supercharger available for the 350Z, they sure seem to be more concearned about saving $$$ than saving face.
With claims like that they should send him a new blower no questions asked and pay for the install and removal of THEIR defective product that they claim to stand behind so well.
I have an ATI blower and can say that their customer service has been outstanding and the best I have ever seen in a company. Anything I break they fix either for free or cost, and they pay shipping FED-EX to me!!!Unheard of man..

PS read that Stillen sucks website its funny!!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Zmego1985

Well said
Old 08-26-2004, 03:37 AM
Durrr

just pointing out that not everyone who owns a company is a douchebag :\

Quick Reply: The Unfortunate Adventures in Stillen-land