Old 09-22-2004, 03:17 PM
IceY2K1Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Que????
Old 09-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mchapman - in an ideal world we could pick up the phone, call the NISMO engineers and ask "how does this work and what do we need to do to make it work on our US Spec car". I've made that phone call already to several people and was told "you are on your own". Discouraging? Not really as far as I am concerned - it's par for the course when dealing in high performance parts such as these.

The only way to do it is the way we are doing it...I will try it myself, and then report the findings, good bad or indifferent. These are not really designed for the mild cams out there (stage 1 NISMO, JWT). These are much better suited to the more aggressive cams with the increased duration (ala Esprit, Tomei 264 and 268 and the other NISMO cams offered in Japan)

Here is the translation from the NISMO catalog:

High declination VTC pulley
While VTC (the system which changes the cam central angle of INT with the condition of the engine) being attached and with the engine, utilizing VTC function when it is compatible the output improvement in the high rotary limits and the stability of idling and the guaranty of concave fast torque, this commodity made the "declination 55°" vis-a-vis the genuine "declination 40°", made degree of freedom of camshaft selection increase.
* When you use the operation angular large camshaft and, combining VTC declination large,
The valve recess should be guaranteed sufficiently that there is no interference of the INT valve and the piston,
There is a necessity.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats fine Adam as long as you have tried.

OK so this new info sheds more light on the topic. The VTC system does pretty much what we had thought.

The VTC pulley allows the use of higher lift/duration cams with smooth idle and reduced loss of torque lower in the RPM range by adjusting the VTC system / intake cam further than normal. (55 degree max)

And you need to check you valve clearances.

Thanks for the additional info. I will definately buy this item when you have tried it out.

Last edited by mchapman; 09-23-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:55 PM
pimp1911

Good info. I am adding this to wanted item list. I plan on getting the Tomei 264's.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM
AREITU

Originally posted by Orange Peel
i think they will improve gas mileage because the low end torque and responsiveness allows you to shift at lower rpms or hold higher speeds at lower rpms.

BUT also there is the fact that more air is being used and therefore more fuel need sto be injected. so It probably won't make enough power to out do the gas mileage effects, just Drive your Z less, J/K

Some one has to test it out, but unfortunately i don't know if they work with the stock heads i think you have to have the nismo RZZ heads.
Then you nee nismo cams (or nismo based cams) and valvestarin and valvesprings. that can become pretty expensive.
STill on your quest to squeeze out 7000 rpm out of a "no torque" nissan motor?

Complaining about the lack of technology in a 350Z? You should go buy a Hemi. It comes with cylinder deactivation. VTEC MAD TTTEYYYTE@ YO@!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:18 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that the VTC gears are part of the s-tune package. So how much total power is gained with the S-tune package??

http://www.carnews.com.tw/1car/1car_...le_No=00000727

Laterz
Aceman
Attached Thumbnails NISMO VTC Pulley...anyone running it-00000727.jpg  
Old 09-24-2004, 06:13 AM
axxizzer

sorry motr bldr, For questioning your car owning and your opinion.

But how can you say vtec is bull if it combines the best of both worlds?

Vtec doesnt make Hondas torqueless, the fact that it is a low displacement N/A 4 cyl with a 9k rpm red-line
Old 09-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Z350Lover

aceman:

That total VQ35S1 (that's how they call it) engine package will bring the power up from 206KW to 221KW..... while the torque figure reminds the same but max torque happens at 4400rpm and the redline for the engine will be up to 7200rpm (with the replacement of the con rod bolts which aren't shown).... 15KW = 20.4 HP with all of those! I think Nismo might be just a bit conservative on the figure they quote though!

cheers,

richie
Old 09-24-2004, 04:55 PM
pimp1911

Originally posted by aceman
I noticed that the VTC gears are part of the s-tune package. So how much total power is gained with the S-tune package??

http://www.carnews.com.tw/1car/1car_...le_No=00000727

Laterz
Aceman
Thats the S1 package thats a step up from R-Tune. Here is the order.

Stock
S-Tune
R-tune
S1 or Spec1
S2 or Spec2
R1
Old 09-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Orange Peel

What about the new rumors of exaust side valve timing on the new track and aniversary edition? Is that true? Oh and this is a forum on engine mods. Why am I wrong for talking about engine mods? Isn't that the topic?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:20 AM
AREITU

What about the new rumors of exaust side valve timing on the new track and aniversary edition? Is that true? Oh and this is a forum on engine mods. Why am I wrong for talking about engine mods? Isn't that the topic?
I like how off topic you're going. It's so HOnda.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Orange Peel

Hey Man, I have a 350z. What are you talking about. I haven't driven a honda for almost two years. I have driven my Z more than i have driven my old acura. What is the Difference. Shall i start listing all the pos's you used to drive? Why are you rampantly trying to insult me, what is you're problem. I don't appreciate you're abnoxiousness. Please stop this. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
AREITU

Hey Man, I have a 350z. What are you talking about. I haven't driven a honda for almost two years. I have driven my Z more than i have driven my old acura. What is the Difference. Shall i start listing all the pos's you used to drive? Why are you rampantly trying to insult me, what is you're problem. I don't appreciate you're abnoxiousness. Please stop this. Thank you.
I'm not insulting you. I'm pointing out, in a very acerbic manner, that you need to start a new thread for topics not directly related to this thread. VTC pulleys and 2005 Tracks using exhaust cam timing are not the same topics.

Please list all the POS cars I've ever driven. You're welcome.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by IceY2K1Max
It only changes the intake cam, however I'm not sure exactly how.

According to the Z1 auto website they "increase overall cam advance to 55 degrees (15 degrees longer than stock)". However, I don't see where that "55 degrees" or "15 degrees longer than stock" come into play. From what I can find the VQ35 intake valve opening(IVO) range is 5ATDC-30BTDC and intake valve closing(IVC) range is 65ABDC-30ABDC.

So, does the NISMO VTC pulley cause the IVO to be sooner allowing "15 degrees longer" time to be open? If so, how when 30+15 is 45 degrees not "55 degrees"?
I know this thread is very old.... but as I know.. the stock VTC is set at 40 degrees max, therefore..... 40 + 15 will be 55 degrees, which is correct, isn't it?

cheers,

richie
Old 10-21-2004, 04:28 PM
IceY2K1Max

As far as I've found, the intake valve opening time max is 30-degrees BTDC.

As far as I can interpret from the Z1auto and a bad translation from nismo.co.jp, these VTC pulleys just increase the intake valve range by 15-degrees. So, the intake valve opening can be modified from 30BTDC-5ATDC +/-15degrees or the intake valve closing can be modified from 30ABDC-65ABDC +/-15degrees.

My guess at the meaing of "increase overall cam advance" means 30BTDC + 15BTDC for 45-degrees not 55-degrees. Hopefully, someone tries these soon and they help fix the loss of torque from the JWT cams below 4-5Krpm.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

if the member who sold me the heads (which were advertised as complete) would ever send me the cam caps that I have been waiting months for, I could tell you guys more about them.

I have cams, springs, pullies all ready to go...but cannot do anything without the cam caps I was promised to receive
Old 10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
IceY2K1Max

Can't wait................
Old 10-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

at this point, unless I find another set of heads to use, or this member sends me what I should have received initially, we'll be waiting quite a while. I simply cannot have the downtime of taking my current heads off the car
Old 10-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Z350Lover

Z1:
Do you know if our original computer controls the cam gears at all? because I am going to do the same thing without the heads(cams, pullies, springs, con-rods) soon... and am searching for computers to use at this stage...... There are a few options:

1. HKS F-Con V Pro
2. Motec M6 + Cams control module + Drive-By-Wire Module..

the 2nd option will be a lot dearer, just wondering to know if you know that HKS F-Con V Pro can handle the job?

cheers and many thanks!

richie
Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 AM
IceY2K1Max

Yes, per the FSM....

This mechanism hydraulically controls cam phases continuously with the fixed operating angle of the intake valve.

The ECM receives signals such as crankshaft position, camshaft position, engine speed, and engine coolant temperature. Then, the ECM sends ON/OFF pulse duty signals to the camshaft timing control valve depending on driving status. This makes it possible to control the shut/open timing of the intake valve to increase engine torque in low/mid speed range and output in high-speed range.
Originally posted by Z350Lover
Z1:
Do you know if our original computer controls the cam gears at all? because I am going to do the same thing without the heads(cams, pullies, springs, con-rods) soon... and am searching for computers to use at this stage...... There are a few options:

1. HKS F-Con V Pro
2. Motec M6 + Cams control module + Drive-By-Wire Module..

the 2nd option will be a lot dearer, just wondering to know if you know that HKS F-Con V Pro can handle the job?

cheers and many thanks!

richie

Quick Reply: NISMO VTC Pulley...anyone running it