Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Borla Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Psyc0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Question...

Alright, well, i planned on not getting exhaust but after having my Z for almost a year now I wanna treat myself to something new :P haha. I know the Borla exhaust has a nice exotic note to it but its not much louder than stock. My question is, how loud does it get with things such as test pipes or HF Cats and Headers and other modifications like that. I beleive the borla has the note that i like but I don't know if its going to be as loud as i want it to be. If i'm going to get exhaust i want something that is gonna b noticibly louder and will set me apart from the other 1000 stock Zs in my area. Any suggestions as to other exhausts that aren't gonna cost me an arm and a leg and will have a similar note if this isn't loud enough?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:51 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Borla Question...

RSR.

You should consider coming to some So. Cal. runs or meets to listen to other Z owners with different exhausts. Mario has a RSR and it's about as loud as you're going to get. Nismo is louder than Borla. Apex N1 is supposed to be as loud as the RSR as well.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:00 PM
350zluvr

From what I've heard, the Nismo exhaust is suppoed to sound very exotic as does the Stillen ($$$$).

I think you have have to decide upon wether you are looking for improved sound, a look that would make you stand out, or the performance numbers (hp. & tq.).

If you are looking for the performance, the Borla is the best choice in my opinion. Injen also provides very good numbers.

If you want to stand out than consider if you want dual or single exhaust outlet, angeled (Injen) or straight with larger flared tips.

From what I've heard the Stillen is supposed to produce quite a remarkable sound, but it costs and weighs a lot.

Then there is also the weight issue...

Decisions... decisions....
Old 09-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Psyc0

I've actually been to a couple so cal meets but i never really got the time to listen to everyone's exhaust and such. I am moving up to UCLA 2maro so i'll hafta wait and see what my schedule brings as far as attending meets. I'm also not gonna have my car up there right away so that could be a problem too

EDIT: i know the RS*R is the loudest but from what i hear, especially with testpipes, headers and all it is TOO loud. I don't want to attract unwanted attention as well. Something in the mid range for the sound is gonna be more than enough for me, my real question was how much louder than stock does the borla get?

Last edited by Psyc0; 09-24-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Soggy

personally i think injen is the best choice i got mine from srt no compliants got a good price too cuz they are on sale the noise is loud and unique plus its better quality then borla id say injen is superior in all fields over borla
Old 09-24-2004, 03:00 PM
magmared230

yesterday i just had installed the injen cold air intake, dc sports headers, helix test pipes and injen ses1985c cat backs ....has a great low tone but it is damn loud!! im actually trying to do something to bring the sound down ...
Old 09-24-2004, 03:10 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have crawford headers, UR cats, borla TD....nice relatively quiet setup, but distinctly NOT stock

i love this setup

i previously had nismo headers, RT cats, nismo catback.....too loud and raspy for me
Old 09-24-2004, 03:52 PM
maserom

Get the Borla, trust me it will be loud enough. I love the sound, similar to stock but deeper and louder.

You won't be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Psyc0

I think i'm gonna go with the borla when i can find a good deal on one. Thanx for ur opinions
Old 09-24-2004, 06:53 PM
wrendon

I have a Borla TD and I love the sound, however, if you want something really loud you should consider the other alternatives. With Borla you can ride quietly on a peaceful neighborhood or make yourself noticed with the roar whenever you want to.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Psyc0

Originally posted by wrendon
I have a Borla TD and I love the sound, however, if you want something really loud you should consider the other alternatives. With Borla you can ride quietly on a peaceful neighborhood or make yourself noticed with the roar whenever you want to.

Thats basically wat i was looking for =) thanx
Old 09-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Borla TD w/ test pipes is very loud and sounds like a V8. Not too loud to drown out the cabin, but enough to fill it when you gun it up to 6.6k, everytime I gun it people always look, even down a few blocks.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:56 PM
LBSOHK

check out few exhaust clips
I had a Borla TD with the Stillen Pipes and loved the sound of it ...
Add a Crawfords plenum and you will be really smiling

Exhaust Clips
Old 09-25-2004, 12:37 AM
homiusang

I really like the way the Nismo sounds, esp. at the high range, however, the hp/tq gain is minimal and it's really pricey. The Fujisutbo one sounds pretty sweet too. Which one do you guys recommand if i want the sound closest to the Nismo one but also have noticeble gains?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Hazade

what kind of prices are you getting on the borla exhaust systems?