Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tilton STREET-Clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lovetoclown, you have the street clutch right? are you used to driving it?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:48 PM
lovetoclown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Semi-Street. I plan on going FI VERY sson and the street version won't hadle much more than stock. Needless to say, I am hoing to have Performance pull out the tilton and more than likely go with the Exedy. This clutch has not acted right since the second day I had it.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:53 PM
dougrace zs

Originally posted by sentry65
while being parked in 1st gear with the tilton street clutch, if you sit down, push the clutch down, and start the car, because the tilton catches immediatly with the footstop put in place, if you let your foot up just a little bit, it'll leap forward.

I've done it, I'm not making it up. So it's a safety precaution to have your foot on the brake whenever you start the car - which I'm sure most people do anyway so they don't go rolling forward or backward while the clutch is in.
PhoenixINX here on Dougs computer...

Dude... This is VERY bad, which I was suspecting after I responded.

This means your clutch is NOT disengaging all the way when you depress the clutch. It needs to be adjusted ASAP otherwise kiss those clutch disks away.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I was wrong with what I said before. I wish I could edit it or delete that post. See what happened was my car alarm went off one night at 3am cause I guess the button was pressed or something. I didn't stop to think to try pressing the car alarm button - I just went to go start the car asap and in panic mode (also just got done with a 7 hour drive from CA to AZ) and didn't even get quite all the way in the car and started it and it jumped forward. What must have happened is I started the car before the clutch was in all the way.

So just now I went out to experiment and the car can fully start with the cluth completely out - but leaps forward.

I remember getting in my car so fast I put my right foot on the clutch with no foot on the brake pedal. So what must've happened was I just didn't get the clutch in fast enough and it caught and dove forward. Luckily I didn't get any body damage from the car leaping forward.

Anyway, I have no problem launching the car and getting some wicked burnouts and have no problem creeping slow at 3-4mph like in rush hour. The hardest part for me right now is finding the happy medium to get a nice quick normal start as if you were at a red light and there's 5 cars behind you.

I've been so busy this week the only practice time I've had is just driving from place to place. I need to spend about 30 min each night for a few nights to get taking off to be 2nd nature.

As a side note, the alarm stopped when I popped the hood - was getting ready to disconnect the battery. I totally spaced that the key FOB has the alarm button on it.

Last edited by sentry65; 12-11-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:29 PM
black_04

Sentry65, i was wondering, with all your mods you have, what is your rwhp? and what do you run on the 1/4 mile? thank you
Old 12-13-2004, 06:12 AM
sentry65
the burninator

my guess is around 280rwhp and quarter mile might be low 13's, but that's just an estimate

my weakest link right now is the stock tires and suspension as well as probably my driving skill

Last edited by sentry65; 12-13-2004 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:20 AM
mcduck

As for performance, the Tilton is my best/worst mod like yours! It's can be a biotch to drive, you just have to focus and drive smooth!!!! However once you're under way it will boil 1st and 2nd gear, even with my 275 19s trying to hook up.
Uh-oh... I boil thru 1st, 2nd, and well into 3rd now (and I'm running super sticky BFG KDs!). AND, I'm getting ready in the next week or so to upgrade my clutch & flywheel... time to kiss traction goodbye Guess, I'll be relearning my launch technique over Xmas.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but i'd like to know nearly 3 mos later, how you guys are liking your tilton street setup? after reading this thread, i get the impression that while it is street-able, its not very street-friendly. i don't think its for me cuz i don't want to have to learn to launch over again, and i do lots of daily driving in stop-and-go traffic and up-and-down hills. it just doesn't seem like the best setup considering my daily needs. what i want/need is the best combination of performance and user friendliness. Any suggestions/recommendations on a clutch/flywheel combo that fits this bill?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:23 AM
sentry65
the burninator

well i just got my car back today from the body shop (girl backed into my door in a parking lot)

so it's been about a week and a half since I've driven my car. It is fun to drive and might not be as annoying as I've said.

For me, it only seems to get annoying when I'm just trying to get somewhere and not paying such close attention to my driving - like if I'm thinking about other things and not so much how to finess the clutch at low rpm's.

My car is currently having some other issues I'm dealing with which seem to affect it's drivability though. When I reset the ECU, it drives pretty well. But when the service engine soon light comes on - I'm assuming the ECU must go into some sorta safety mode - and the car gets really difficult to drive smooth.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
homiusang

Quick question for Tilton Stree setup owners....
I know this setup will require the car to raise it's idle rpms, besides having a ECU Reflash, is there anyway a Nissan dealer could do that for me?
TIA
Old 03-03-2005, 05:30 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i think yes if you have a 03 or early 04
Old 03-03-2005, 09:14 PM
homiusang

i think yes if you have a 03 or early 04
deng, mine's production date is July 04....guess it's a late 04 model?
Sentry65, if u dont' mind, may i check out your ride sometimes?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:48 AM
350 PILOT

Originally posted by homiusang
I know this setup will require the car to raise it's idle rpms, besides having a ECU Reflash, is there anyway a Nissan dealer could do that for me?
TIA
I have a JWT 14lb flywheel and did not have to increase my idle rpms or do a ECU flash. No problems at all.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Machupo

i did not raise my idle with the tilton street... i have a dec 02...
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIA
Never had to raise mine.

SOMETIMES when I start it, after it's still warm (i.e. running into a shop, gas station, etc) it likes to stall. Just give it a blip once it fires, and you're fine.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 AM
lovetoclown

my idle was increased for the tilton. Never stalls on start up or if I blip the throttle. No reason to me not to increase the idle.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:40 AM
homiusang

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Never had to raise mine.

SOMETIMES when I start it, after it's still warm (i.e. running into a shop, gas station, etc) it likes to stall. Just give it a blip once it fires, and you're fine.
Thanks 350 PILOT and PhoenixINX. So during a cool start up (like starting the car in the morning ) it wouldn't stall and start up fine right?

For those who raised their idle for this setup, is there any way to raise the idle beside using ECU Reflash? (I have a 04.5 Z)
Thanks guys for the help!!

Last edited by homiusang; 03-04-2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I've been thinking of upping my idle from 900 to 1000 and see if it helps me any. I think it's just the combo of the jwt cams, tilton, UR pulley, and 3.9 FD on my car that sometimes make it in a weird mood - and of course the misfiring

Sentry65, if u dont' mind, may i check out your ride sometimes?

sure if you want. PM me and we'll work something out.

Last edited by sentry65; 03-04-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Machupo

I've been thinking of upping my idle from 900 to 1000 and see if it helps me any. I think it's just the combo of the jwt cams, tilton, UR pulley, and 3.9 FD on my car that sometimes make it in a weird mood

sure if you want. PM me and we'll work something out.
i'll probably be putting the tomei 268's on shortly, i'll lyk if i have similar probs

-nick
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
sentry65
the burninator

someone on these boards reported that having the idle set at 1000 really helped quite a bit compared to 900 with the JWT cams. So seems to be worth trying out

Quick Reply: Tilton STREET-Clutch installed