Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Old topic..new question...new thread: Underdrive pulley change

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old topic..new question...new thread: Underdrive pulley change

Old topic..new question...new thread: Underdrive pulley change. Recently had the underdrive pulley replaced with Unorthodox pulley. Changed only the one. Unfortunately the car has a horrific squeal when started and lasts for about 30 sec. or so unless I rev the motor and it gets louder but lasts shorter. Usually happens when the motor is cold, but occasionally when it's been running recently also. A buddy watched the belts when starting the car, and it "looks" as though both belts are turing when the car is squealing...but we did notice one pulley which looks like the tensioner (it is above and to the left of the crank pulley and the belt runs over the top of it) which may be slightly out of alignment? Is this possible? It looks as though the top edge is tipped closer to the engine and the bottom of the pulley is tipped slightly out toward the front of the car. My thought was that if this is the case, the undue/uneven pressure may be wearing on the bearing? Is this possible, and what would cause the irregular angle? Also, I should comment that if you grab any of the pulleys and hand turn them, you are able to spin each of them slightly...is this the right tension? The belts feel tight...but not "cable" tight...the shop said they are at the correct tension, but this squeal has got to go and I am afraid it may be an indication of improper wear. Any advice would be great.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:53 AM
ReavTek

You did buy new belts when you got the pulley right? I bought the 3pc Unorthodox Racing Pulley set and got some (I think they were made by Gates) belts since the pulleys are slightly smaller than stock. It would perfectly with no squealing. Maybe you should take it to another shop for a second opinion?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the belts are a tad loose. Hvae them tightened a tad and it should go away
Old 10-26-2004, 02:14 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tighten them up..
Old 10-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Driven

Won't be driving for a little while, but stopped in at Nissan dealer/shop and mechanic looked at them. Said they didn't seem loose to the touch, but he did hear a slight squeal when the AC kicked in which made him conclude as you all are saying that they are just a tad loose. Will have it taken care of. Didn't really notice any butt dyno difference. Had this and an Injen cold air intake put on at the same time and thought I'd at least feel a little improvement. I know the intake won't make huge difference without the exhaust accompanying it...but still a little dissappointed.