Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How to FULLY cut VDC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:38 PM
x28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to FULLY cut VDC

Does anyone know how to fully shut off the VDC system?

I know you can press the button, it disables the traction control, but brake LSD is still functional. What can I do?

thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 11:49 AM
002-M-P

LSD is always functional because it is a mechanical part not an electric part. Why would you want to "turn off" the LSD anyway if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the fuse. It's the onlye red 50 amp square fuse in the panel by the battery.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 PM
x28

okay thanks
why? for track application
its brake LSD, so its controlled by the computer.

its like the RX8, you press it once, it disbales traction control but not fully (brake LSD)

you press it for 8 seconds, it will disable everything
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 PM
x28

I want it off so I can really drive the car and not have the car drive itself

I hate it when that happens, dun everyone?

modern cars are just so computerized now
Old 11-08-2004, 11:37 PM
LeighJr

pull the rear tail light fuse and abs stops working i think vdc stops also
Old 11-08-2004, 11:38 PM
LeighJr

thats how i do burnouts at the dragstrip
Old 11-09-2004, 08:41 AM
002-M-P

Wait....so you're telling me that if I just press the button it does not disable the entire VDC like it feels. When i press the button it feels like it is just all mechanical power to the wheels. Could I get a better explanation. Thanks..
Old 11-09-2004, 08:51 AM
time4aspliff

How does traction control affect acceleration times? I imagine it couldn't help...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM
daytona350z

is this thread a joke? i mean, brake lsd, no such thing is available on our cars.
there is however a LSD- limited slip differential.

and VDC, and TCS..both of which are disabled by the push of a button.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by 002-M-P
Wait....so you're telling me that if I just press the button it does not disable the entire VDC like it feels. When i press the button it feels like it is just all mechanical power to the wheels. Could I get a better explanation. Thanks..
According to the Owner's Manual. VDC equipped cars have a "Brake LSD" in addition to the "Mechanical LSD". Non-VDC equipped cars don't have the Brake LSD. TCS Only cars have the Mechanical LSD only and Non-TCS cars don't have either LSD. Look in the manual, it says that pushing the VDC OFF Button will not disengage the Brake LSD or the ABS.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by time4aspliff
How does traction control affect acceleration times? I imagine it couldn't help...
TCS has the ability to cut the throttle if it determines that is the best course of action to regain traction. On VDC equipped Zs, TCS can also apply the brakes throught the Brake LSD. On the 5AT, TCS can also modify shifting.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by daytona350z
is this thread a joke? i mean, brake lsd, no such thing is available on our cars.
there is however a LSD- limited slip differential.

and VDC, and TCS..both of which are disabled by the push of a button.
Check your Owner's Manual. VDC equipped Zs have a Brake LSD. This is different from the Mechanical LSD. The mechanical LSD uses a clutch pack similar to an auto transmission to redirect torque to the wheel with the most traction. The mechanical LSD doesn't have any brake controls. The brake LSD uses sensors to electronically monitor slip and applies braking to the slipping wheel.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
daytona350z

Originally posted by Aggro_Al
Check your Owner's Manual. VDC equipped Zs have a Brake LSD. This is different from the Mechanical LSD. The mechanical LSD uses a clutch pack similar to an auto transmission to redirect torque to the wheel with the most traction. The mechanical LSD doesn't have any brake controls. The brake LSD uses sensors to electronically monitor slip and applies braking to the slipping wheel.
ok..um first, our lsd's are viscus type and not clutch type, they use a fluid to transfer the power.

tcs uses the sensors to detect wheel slipage and independantly brake specific wheels. vdc takes this up a notch to detect if the car is in a "fish tail" situation, then applies the brakes accordingly.

edit, i guess we are sayining the same thing. although brake lsd is interesting description. seems like nissan said the same thing twice.

Last edited by daytona350z; 11-09-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:32 AM
daytona350z

wow, i just re-read the manual and it kinda contradicts itself. it basically says if you disable tcs or vdc, then those systems do no operate at all. then it says the brake lsd still has an effect. but since the brake lsd works with vdc, and if the vdc if off, then the brake lsd mustr be off too.

whats weird tho, is when i turn the system "off" i get none of that brake lsd effect they describe. and theoretically you cannot drift this car with that system because it is always on, but yet i still manage to do so.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:44 AM
x28

it means that, Brake LSD will still be fuctional.

I am trying to be constructive, but here an experimentation. If you take your Z, drive it at 60, stay on the brakes and enter the corner. Instead of turning the steering slowly, turn it quickly so it unsettles the rear. Daytona350Z has a hachi roku right? So you definitely know about drifting, or just simple racing.

If you turn the steering wheel abruptly, the tail will slide out. However, for the Z, you will feel the rear brakes start to apply some brake force to correct this oversteer. Now, this doesn;t mean that you can;'t apply throttle and make the rear step out. It means that, if you enter the corner while stepping on the brakes (trail braking), the car's brake LSD will intervene. The rear wheels will somewhat be controlled by brakes to lessen oversteer.

So why the hell do we care? Cause this is not ME driving the car, its the Z driving itself. One of the reason why its so fun to drive an FR (front engine rear wheel drive) is because we can control our rear end very very very precisely and its fun.

The brake LSD just kills part of the fun, not all. But I am greedy, I want all.

So anyone hvae a better idea other then pulling the brake lights?

I tried pulling the fuse, but the slip indicator light didn;t come on... so I guess it doesn;t work..

thanks guys
Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by x28
it means that, Brake LSD will still be fuctional.

I am trying to be constructive, but here an experimentation. If you take your Z, drive it at 60, stay on the brakes and enter the corner. Instead of turning the steering slowly, turn it quickly so it unsettles the rear. Daytona350Z has a hachi roku right? So you definitely know about drifting, or just simple racing.

If you turn the steering wheel abruptly, the tail will slide out. However, for the Z, you will feel the rear brakes start to apply some brake force to correct this oversteer. Now, this doesn;t mean that you can;'t apply throttle and make the rear step out. It means that, if you enter the corner while stepping on the brakes (trail braking), the car's brake LSD will intervene. The rear wheels will somewhat be controlled by brakes to lessen oversteer.

So why the hell do we care? Cause this is not ME driving the car, its the Z driving itself. One of the reason why its so fun to drive an FR (front engine rear wheel drive) is because we can control our rear end very very very precisely and its fun.

The brake LSD just kills part of the fun, not all. But I am greedy, I want all.

So anyone hvae a better idea other then pulling the brake lights?

I tried pulling the fuse, but the slip indicator light didn;t come on... so I guess it doesn;t work..

thanks guys
i cant really attest to the brake lsd working for me. i have tried the car on a racetrack, my z that is, and i never felt anything like this kick up and throw me out of my rhythm.

i have come into numerous corners just "flicking" the wheel to get sideways, as long as my vdc is disabled, while im off the gas the car hasnt corrected itself before, and i have actually spun the car in this manner.(shift lock drift)

weird, but i guess the system doesnt work, or work well. maybe i just have a messed up car
Old 11-09-2004, 12:51 PM
myfiddy

go to your nissan dealer and have them program it down to 1% with the consult II unit, vice versa for those who think that they don't have the VDC. Just because you don't have switch doesn't mean that you don't have the wiring. You can also run a nitrous switch to the ecu, OR get a line lock OR e brake mod OR another pedal.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:12 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by daytona350z
i cant really attest to the brake lsd working for me. i have tried the car on a racetrack, my z that is, and i never felt anything like this kick up and throw me out of my rhythm.

i have come into numerous corners just "flicking" the wheel to get sideways, as long as my vdc is disabled, while im off the gas the car hasnt corrected itself before, and i have actually spun the car in this manner.(shift lock drift)

weird, but i guess the system doesnt work, or work well. maybe i just have a messed up car
It is not easily felt, the best proof of the tcs still working the rear brakes with the VDC switched off is the abnormal rear brake pad wear. Remember when everyone kept complaining that there rear pads are finishing too fast? That's because the TCS is using them up... most sports cars will never come close to finishing the rear pads before the fronts.

I have gone throught 3 sets of front pads and still on original rear pads because I have the VDC/ABS fuse pulled.

The rear brake lights still function with the fuse pulled.

You can perform most drifts fine by just turning the VDC switch off, but if you try brake drifts you will notice the ABS does not cooperate... that is why I have the fuse pulled on the track. I wish our ABS was a little more advanced or less sensitive.

Also you will feel a change in throttle and brake pedal reaction with the fuse pulled.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:54 PM
stx

When I track the car I always trail brake to rotate the rear to compensate for the cars understeer. I have felt what you describe but only with the VDC on. The car refuses to trail brake when the VDC is engaged. Once VDC is disengaged I have never felt any thing like that or have had trouble trail braking. Strange that you feel that its still applying the brakes.

It is not easily felt, the best proof of the tcs still working the rear brakes with the VDC switched off is the abnormal rear brake pad wear. Remember when everyone kept complaining that there rear pads are finishing too fast? That's because the TCS is using them up... most sports cars will never come close to finishing the rear pads before the fronts.
After 9 track events I have not worn my rears faster than my front pads. I have found the fronts wear just a little bit faster than my rear. I think the reason the rears and fronts wear almost the same is because of the brake bias and pad thickness.

Quick Reply: How to FULLY cut VDC