Notices

Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil

Old 09-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Lucino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fluid are ready to flow

Originally Posted by Z'd
No pic handy but I can probably dig out a quart and take a pic if you need.
It is (was) called Series 2000 "TGR" and was rated for GL-1 through 5.....If you look to purchase a current Amsoil product, it would be this one:
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx
Thanks man, I actually just received them yesterday from Amsoil.

Can't wait to put them in. I will still use these in the rear, rated GL-5
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Lucino

I regret so much that I didn't buy the suction gun. After I drained the trans oil I had a hard time filling it with just a tube and a air pump.... I ended up spilled oil all over the place so do your self a favor and get a suction gun.

I only drained about 3 quarts of trans fluid, was this right? The manual said four quarts.. did I leave another quart behind?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucino
I regret so much that I didn't buy the suction gun. After I drained the trans oil I had a hard time filling it with just a tube and a air pump.... I ended up spilled oil all over the place so do your self a favor and get a suction gun.

I only drained about 3 quarts of trans fluid, was this right? The manual said four quarts.. did I leave another quart behind?
I think mine called for 3 1/4 qts for the trans.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM
yeperra

When I drained mine it only had a little over 2 qts in it. I did put in just a tad over 3 qts.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a little quote I found on a porsche forum:
"
What about GL-5 vs. GL-4:

The main complaint against GL-5 use in syncro'd trannies is because the chemicals used to provide the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Here's what the 944 factory manual has this to say: "Filling capacity Approx. 2.0 liters hypoid transmission oil SAE 75W90 to API Class GL5 or MIL-L-2105B, or SAE 80 to API Class GL4 or MIL -L-2105."

Which one is right?:

In the end, it is up to the owner. Though statements of GL-5 use in a syncro'd tranny are somewhat against... history and sales of GL-5 lubricants (like Redline 75W90) continue to be favorable. This is a heavily debated topic, even within the industry. The only things we can assume for sure is: 1. Don't use FM in non-LSD transaxles 2. Don't add FM to make the clutches lock up sooner in LSD equipped cars. "

I personally have used M1 75-90 in my 2003 Maxima since 7/2002 and it's as smooth as it gets. Of course I have not pulled apart my trany to look for any synchro corrosion.

So I will continue the use of M1 75-90 in my Z as well.

Last edited by Tac-M; 09-21-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Tekwon-V

i wanted to be absolutely sure of Mobil 75-90's compatibility. I wrote exxonmobil and email few weeks ago i got an e-mail response within 24hrs from exxonmobil stating that they do not recommend GL-5 mobil 75W-90 synthetic gear lubricant for GL-4 recommended transmission. whoever wrote back said "it will be a problem."
Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Vash350Z

On the Amsoil website if you use their vehicle specific guide they call for GL-4 in trans and GL-5 in the diff.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Miko

When do you guys change your fluids? I thought having a manual you dont change it for a really long time...
I heard for Acura RSX-S you're maintanance free till 100k (besides oil changes...)..does that mean there's better stuff in those cars or what?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Z'd

Originally Posted by Miko
When do you guys change your fluids? I thought having a manual you dont change it for a really long time...
I heard for Acura RSX-S you're maintanance free till 100k (besides oil changes...)..does that mean there's better stuff in those cars or what?
"Technically", it is part of the 37500 mile maintenance. Realistically- with the notchy shifting I was experiencing, I wanted to try a synthetic lube and it worked very well. Plus, if there were any metal shavings suspended in the fluid after initial break-in, they were likely removed during the lube change.

I am sure Acura uses a good quality lube, but they are also counting on the law of averages to produce only an acceptable number of failure complaints!!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Lucino

Maybe for the manual transmission, but I'm glad I changed them at 5K, the rear diff definitely needed to be changed, it was dirty, you probably can skip the transmission if you want, but do change the rear.

the diff took in about a bottle and half of GL5, be sure you get that suction gun.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Miko

What is the rear differential stuff? I have an '05 enthusiast.
Man i hate changing fluids...especially after waiting around for a mechanic to change my trans fluid on my automatic car..what a pain.

Is the differential and manual trans fluid soemthing that i could do myself...like an oil change or do i have to be really experienced?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Z'd

What is the rear differential stuff? I have an '05 enthusiast.
Man i hate changing fluids...especially after waiting around for a mechanic to change my trans fluid on my automatic car..what a pain.

Is the differential and manual trans fluid soemthing that i could do myself...like an oil change or do i have to be really experienced?

Thanks
Read post # 1 on page 1 of this thread and you can decide for yourself!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Miko

Woops. My bad. Yea doesn't seem like a hard processes at all..seems quick too.
What does the limited slip differential thing do? Like how different is it from traction control? And why does it need 'fluid' ? I thought only a tranny needs the fluid?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Tekwon-V

does anybody have a nissan part number for the gasket/crush washer? is it the same for the MT drain plug and the diff drain plug?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Nano

GL-5 AND GL-4 are not formulation specifications. They are performance specifications.

you can have a GL-5 gear lube that is not corrosive to yellow metals. There is no relation whatsoever between GL-5 rating and corrosivness.

In the past, GL-5 used chemical modifiers that corroded yellow metals. Today, most GL-5 lubes are perfectly safe to yellow metals.

I would perfer a GL-5 over a GL-4 as the specifications are higher.

Originally Posted by Tac-M
Here is a little quote I found on a porsche forum:
"
What about GL-5 vs. GL-4:

The main complaint against GL-5 use in syncro'd trannies is because the chemicals used to provide the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Here's what the 944 factory manual has this to say: "Filling capacity Approx. 2.0 liters hypoid transmission oil SAE 75W90 to API Class GL5 or MIL-L-2105B, or SAE 80 to API Class GL4 or MIL -L-2105."

Which one is right?:

In the end, it is up to the owner. Though statements of GL-5 use in a syncro'd tranny are somewhat against... history and sales of GL-5 lubricants (like Redline 75W90) continue to be favorable. This is a heavily debated topic, even within the industry. The only things we can assume for sure is: 1. Don't use FM in non-LSD transaxles 2. Don't add FM to make the clutches lock up sooner in LSD equipped cars. "

I personally have used M1 75-90 in my 2003 Maxima since 7/2002 and it's as smooth as it gets. Of course I have not pulled apart my trany to look for any synchro corrosion.

So I will continue the use of M1 75-90 in my Z as well.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Lucino

Originally Posted by Tekwon-V
does anybody have a nissan part number for the gasket/crush washer? is it the same for the MT drain plug and the diff drain plug?
yes they were the same, you can just reuse them as long as they are in good conditions.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:51 PM
KLN

Originally Posted by Tekwon-V

Yup, the drain and fill plugs are the same for the tranny and differential. The part # is 11026-4N200
Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 PM
mrtomcat

I just checked the AMSOIL site and they list SAE 80W-90 GL5 Gear Lubeor the Dif and 70W-90 GL4 for the tranny

please forgive my ignorance since I am new to LSD's but aren't the gears in the tranny? Why is the oil for the LSD called Gear Oil?
And why are they stating 80w-90 when people here seem to use 70W-90?
Old 10-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Z'd

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
I just checked the AMSOIL site and they list SAE 80W-90 GL5 Gear Lubeor the Dif and 70W-90 GL4 for the tranny

please forgive my ignorance since I am new to LSD's but aren't the gears in the tranny? Why is the oil for the LSD called Gear Oil?
And why are they stating 80w-90 when people here seem to use 70W-90?
Inside the differential, the driveshaft turns a gear that meshes with gears that turn the rear axle. LSD simply refers to the fact that there is a clutch pack inside the differential that will transfer power to one wheel if the opposite one starts to spin.

Both components have gears but use different lubes as transmissions frequently employ metals that don't react well to GL-5 lube.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:32 PM
mrtomcat

thank you.

So what should I go with the AMSOil 80W-90 for the Dif as the AMSOil site states or what is my other choice from AMSoil for the DIF?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil