Notices

DIY plenum porting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys, I could be wrong about this but...

I get the feeling Tony is one to two steps ahead of the game.

Even if someone figures out the MREV 2 (which would not be very difficult), he probably has other ideas waiting to come out.

All he has to do is stay ahead of the competition, not to mention plastering his brand name to the point where competitors don't really stand a chance.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Thanks Supra,

I appreciate it.

BTW let me know if you would like to do a pre/post dyno install of MREV Vs MREV-2 on your Z.

Tony
Sounds like a plan. I'm going to find out if I can get a technosquare reflash so I can have full capabilities. I'll let you know Tony.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by first350
I've been doing some more reading on intake runners and have run across a few ppl that have tried adjustable runner lengths that adjust based on the RPM...I'm wondering if there'd be a way to use a metal sheet that could replace the top portion of each intake runner (the seal from the metal top to the Aluminum cast of the runners would be an issue), and have the metal sheets able to slide along the length of the runners, but held in place with 2 small springs - the runner lengths could be shortened by a cable attached to the end of the metal sheets...r…)
First 350,

Yes, that is one of the things I have been considering for a variable geometry intake. I also considered a rotating drum sealed within a larger diameter drum but then shortly after saw that it is already being done on the M5.
EDIT: It would take a Stillen hood to fit it! But the gains would be incredible.

The sliding plate is good in concept, but the practical application will be a big technical challenge. The pressure pulsing inside the plenum and runners is violent! Any sliding mechanism must be absolutely solid and well sealed.
If its not solid and strong, it will break for sure. If its not well sealed perforance will diminish rapidly.

It can be done but it won't be easy.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-05-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

Even if someone figures out the MREV 2 (which would not be very difficult), he probably has other ideas waiting to come out.

All he has to do is stay ahead of the competition, not to mention plastering his brand name to the point where competitors don't really stand a chance.
I agree, he's ahead of the competition. I'm not bashing on anybody unless I try the product and it sucks. Megan racing sucks! I had their test pipes and on the 3rd day the resonators rattled like beans in a coffee can.

The second I installed the MREV and took it for a drive, the difference was night and day. The torque was so apparent, I walked around with a grin on my face the entire day .

His products work, and when a company pre/post dynos a product and users give great reviews it only means it works. The product is great, the customer service is great and the instructions are great. Even though I didn't even look at the instructions, it looked great .

I am by no means biased, I will give any company a chance for a product review. I also didn't like the way greddy designed the evo2's I have because its made for Z/G's with cats and not test pipes. So yes, I just gave a bad review for greddy because their design is more for a "catback" and not a "catless-back" exhaust system.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be worried about sucking springs or sheets into the motor. That might be bad...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
97supratt

Hey Taurran, you have one badass Z dude.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 AM
first350

this link talks about a simple calculation for air speed and intake runner lengths...good overveiw!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question517.htm
Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by first350
this link talks about a simple calculation for air speed and intake runner lengths...good overveiw!

Posted this a few posts back. Here are a few more links from that post

http://www.chrysler300club.com/uniq/.../ramtheory.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/SPRING0...ke/intake.html

later
Aceman

Last edited by ACEMAN; 05-05-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
bilinghm

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Honestly, I think your going a bit too far with this. Tony has built or modified a product that works! I have the MREV and it actually increases a butt load of torque and power in the powerband.

I know its hard to understand but this guy is good at what he does. He builds these things and gives us a great price, simple as that. Now if you dont want to believe the dynos and all the customers who say it works then you are just a pessimist.

I always enjoy seeing small companies make more sales or get more attention then big companies. Every company started out exactly like this, and I will always take my hat off for the underdog.

Tony knows what he's doing and I stand behind his work as well.
I think you are right. This discussion has become a little overheated.

First, let me express my respect for what Hydrazine has created. His product obviously works and delivers solid performance gains. When I originally bought a used plenum, my first thought was to use it as an exchange core when buying an Mrev+. However, my expermental ambition got rolling and I decided to see if I could DIY. My only beef is with the secrecy, which I have already expressed at lenght.

Hydrazine has a fine product, and he has choosen a method for marketing that product. I have nothing but respect for the product, and I disagree with the marketing decisions. But it is his choice, not mine. I sincerely hope for all the sucesses in the world for Hydrazine. We need honest aftermarket companies that make great products. There aren't many of them out there.

Bill
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by bilinghm
I think you are right. This discussion has become a little overheated.

First, let me express my respect for what Hydrazine has created. His product obviously works and delivers solid performance gains. When I originally bought a used plenum, my first thought was to use it as an exchange core when buying an Mrev+. However, my expermental ambition got rolling and I decided to see if I could DIY. My only beef is with the secrecy, which I have already expressed at lenght.

Hydrazine has a fine product, and he has choosen a method for marketing that product. I have nothing but respect for the product, and I disagree with the marketing decisions. But it is his choice, not mine. I sincerely hope for all the sucesses in the world for Hydrazine. We need honest aftermarket companies that make great products. There aren't many of them out there.

Bill
Bill for president!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:41 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Bill for president!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
97supratt

Heres a little video my friend created, the editing sucks and the camera sucks but I rocked my buddies EVO IX and it was all worth it. Here it is http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ent=Movie1.flv
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
Been doing alot of reading today, bored at work

And to build apon what first350 was saying

Visualize the intake cycle of the engine as air flowing through the intake manifold runner, past the intake valve, and into the cylinder. Everything is fine and dandy until the intake valve shuts.

Here is where the law of inertia comes to play -- because the air was in motion, it wants to stay in motion. But the air can't go anywhere because the valve is shut so it piles up against the valve like a chain reaction accident on the freeway. With one piece of air piling up on the next piece of air on the next on the next, the air becomes compressed. This compressed air has to go somewhere so it turns around and flows back through the intake manifold runner in the form of a pressure wave.

This pressure wave bounces back and forth in the runner and if it arrives back at the intake valve when the valve opens, it is drawn into the engine. This bouncing pressure wave of air and the proper arrival time at the intake valve creates a form of supercharging.

In order to create this supercharging, all of the variables have to be aligned so the pressure wave arrives at the intake valve at the right time. This combination of synchronized events is known as 'resonant conditions'

http://www.chrysler300club.com/uniq/.../ramtheory.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/SPRING0...ke/intake.html

So depending on the length of the intake runners it effects when the pressure wave hits the open intake valve, by doing so more air can be sucked in. A shorter runner would flow earlier but also would die earlier and return the positive waves much too quickly and those waves would be weaker. With the Short runners low rpm torque is sacrificed for high rpm power

Longer runners would help boost the low rpm torque, by creating pressure pulses at the low end of the rev range. But with the longer runners higher rpm performance suffers because there are no high-pressure peaks in the runners at the higher engine speeds.

The goal of Intake runner tuning is to arrange the runners and valve timing so that there is a high-pressure wave in the port during the opening of the intake valve to get flow going quickly and then to have a second high pressure wave arrive just before valve closing in order to fill the cylinder as much as possible.

So i am curious to see how Jermey's Cut away runner inlets work for him. The more you cut away, the more it effects the pressure pulses and how far it has to travel up and down the runners. And by doing this it effects low RPM torque but should increase high RPM HP as Alberto was saying. But i would assume it would move peak HP to a higher RPM.

It now makes more sense to me why RevUp plenum differs from the 287hp Plenum. And why it makes more HP and less TQ. It does also have to do with the cams and a few other things im sure.

After reading all that i have today, it makes me want to try a few things with my lower plenum i have just laying around.

Also if i have anything above wrong please let me know trying to learn as much as possible and welcome any info or corrections .

And keep up the DIY stuff, i enjoy reading it.

Later
Aceman

Why not have a 1 way valve on the end of the runner to trap the presurized air in the runner?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
97supratt

Try looking into the Acura CL Type-S manifolds. I used to own one and they had a valve that would open at high rpm because it would pressurize the air at low rpm and increase torque.

The F/I guys always kept it open though.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
OCG35Coupe

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
First 350,

EDIT: It would take a Stillen hood to fit it! But the gains would be incredible.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:39 AM
bilinghm

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

I will bet a buck that you are right. I would expect a brand new product for the REVUP motor might be in the pipeline in that the Mrev 2 has shown more promise on the 287 motors. Hey, maybe laid back ports!
(a joke!!)
Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Another interesting read

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/fall05/SAE/intake.html

Later
Aceman
Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 AM
bilinghm

Originally Posted by aceman
Another interesting read

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/fall05/SAE/intake.html

Later
Aceman
This is some interesting stuff! A must read!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
bilinghm

Here are couple of rather complex solutions to variable length manifolds. However, they did work. Each cylinder was fed by two intake runners, one long, one short. A servo motor poened and closed the runners based on RPM, load, etc.
Attached Thumbnails DIY plenum porting-91shov6.jpg   DIY plenum porting-shov8engine.jpg  
Old 05-05-2006, 11:51 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by bilinghm
Here are couple of rather complex solutions to variable length manifolds. However, they did work. Each cylinder was fed by two intake runners, one long, one short. A servo motor poened and closed the runners based on RPM, load, etc.

Here you go Bill

http://www.mondellotwister.com/school.html

Later
Aceman

Quick Reply: DIY plenum porting