Notices

DIY - Serpentine belt replacement for HR's

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Mr.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to replace everything on mine for the peace of mind that every "wear item" is brand new.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
djwatts

Originally Posted by Mr.
I'm going to replace everything on mine for the peace of mind that every "wear item" is brand new.
True, Id rather just be on the safe side as well, appreciate your help and info man. Hopefully nothing else occurs for a while lol
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 AM
jcleary47

My Serpentine belt broke and came off last Thursday. Car has 26K miles on it.

Nissan Dealership called me Friday and said the belt tensioner broke, and that they didn't have the tensioner or the belt in stock and they should have the car ready today.

Apparently my warranty covers the tensioner, but it doesn't cover the belt because it was "consequential damage" so I have to pay some $68 for the belt replacement, but nothing for the tensioner replacement.

I guess I should be happy the tensioner is covered, but the belt broke because the tensioner was defective but maybe I'm just being picky.

I'm glad I didn't lose the belt and my power steering while driving through one of the three roundabouts I go through on my way home.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
srsairbags

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will the Stillen pullies and belt be of help ? ?

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
EdsZ

Default DIY Serpentine Belt for G35

THANKS! That's a great instruction set. I used that for my G35. And all from the top, no need to get on the floor. Awesome.

My FX35 was similar but no auto-tensioner and you had to do it from the bottom. Its still only a 15 minute job. Don't get caught paying the dealer $170.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 PM
FenixL1P

speaking on behalf of my brother-in-law, his tensioner pulley assembly(not the pulley, the main mounting sleeve that is near the engine face) is cracked at the 11 o'clock position (viewed from front). We have to replace the whole assembly which sucks big time....
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
uhmaz1ng1

Default Thank you

I just wanted to reply and say "Thank you". This thread was awesome and the pics were most helpful. It took me 25 minutes for serpentine belt and A/C compressor belt. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I just changed the original belt on my '08 with 42K miles, and I was surprised at how good it still looked. No wear along the edges and no cracks at all on the ribbed side. I replaced it with a Gates belt.

FWIW, my breaker bar must be a little thicker than the OP's, and I wasn't able to fit it into the tensioner. But, I found that I could remove the two plastic fasteners which hold the top of the radiator in place, and that got me the extra clearance I needed.

Finally, if you've never worked with a serp belt before, the new ones are very stiff and can be difficult to work with. Get the belt seated on all the pulleys with raised edges first, and slip it over the idler pulley last.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, as I may not have replaced my belt otherwise.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 AM
turtleboy

Thanks everyone who appreciated the install guide. I have not had any problems since the install. My car runs great! :-)
Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
BlazinNissan350

Great write up!

I tried to follow it but noticed my auto tensioner doesn't match up with the one in your image. I can't pull it back far enough to lock it! Is my tensioner bad? Is there a way to adjust it so i can pull it back far enough to lock it and swap in my belt?? Or do i need to buy a new tensioner. If so, how hard is that thing to replace???
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
rmadden5925

thats not on a Z maybe another nissan not a Z
Old 06-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Johnnys024

Originally Posted by xthejokerx
i'm confused, is the serpentine belt the same as an alternator belt that is shown here in the DIY? https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...very-easy.html

wondering if i should do this myself or let the dealer do it. i'm afraid dealer is going to blame me if something ever happens and blame it on me not "taking it to a professional mechanics", therefore we're not going to warranty you.
Originally Posted by xthejokerx
Needs clarification.. thanks
The Guide above is for DE motors '03 - '06 only.

This guide is for '07 - '08 motors only.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clarification
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
bryk750z

great write up! spent more time arguing with my buddy that it is a 1/2'' breaker bar and not a 3/8'' breaker bar.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
kingraj55

Thanks for the step by step.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 PM
06Luke350z

Great DIY. Just rolled my Z up on a few ramps and did it myself with no problems!! Big thanks saved me $80++ for a mechanic todo it.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Originally Posted by turtleboy
Just replaced my Serpentine belt and it was very easy. Here is a quick DIY for you guys...

1. Serpentine belt from your favorite parts store. Got mine at Carquest part #K070810 for $38.31.

2. 10mm socket or wrench

3. 1/2" breaker bar

4. 6mm Hex wrench

Step 1 - Remove the coolant overflow tank by removing the two 10mm bolts and unplugging the tubes as shown. Pull straight up and out. Comes out VERY easy and place on ground making sure it doesn't tip over or spill.

Step 2 - Place 1/2" breaker bar into slot in auto tensioner pulley

Step 3 - Rotate counter clockwise and stick the hex wrench through the holding boss to lock the auto-tensioner pulley arm.

Step 4 - Remove old belt

Step 5 - Install new belt as picture shows and make sure all groves on belt match up with all pulleys

Step 6 - Insert breaker bar and remove hex wrench to apply tension to belt and make sure everything is aligned and tight.

Step 7 - Install overflow tank and you are all done.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes. No need to jack up the car or remove anything under the car. Quick and easy DIY maintenance.
I'm removing my belt on my 350Z Nismo because I'm installing a lightweight Stillen crank pulley I bought. In the picture in "Step 2", do I need to loosen that bolt first to be able to turn the tensioner counter clockwise?? I'm trying to turn it but it's not budging. I also don't want to give it TOO much pressure because I don't want to break something either. Any help?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Anyone know? I'm at work for the night but would like to know asap so I can take it off correctly tomorrow morning.

Edit: I figured it out. No you don't have to loosen that screw in case anyone ever wonders if they do as well. I just used a bigger 1/2" ratchet and a pipe at the end and was able to rotate the tensioner. I turned the black upper radiator securing points and unlocked and removed them, then I had just enough room to push the radiator back a little and fit the bigger ratchet.

Last edited by sickZ31/Z33; 07-30-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Nismo909

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just wanted to mention, I am at 103,000 and still the oem belt on my 2007 z minor cracks so I am replacing it today
The following users liked this post:
Spindizzy (05-01-2019)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Changiz Gaskin

THANK YOU TURTLEBOY ,
I put my 350Z in to Nissan for a check up and to replace belt at the same time. They failed to do the check up and decided to try and get me to OK the replacement of the belt, the actuator and power steering module! The quote back to me was £589.00p. The said the actuator was seized and the power steering module was worn out.

I did some investigating and found you DIY fitting instruction and a whole bunch of other useful stuff.

I bought the belt for £36.00p from Nissan (I think I was had on this price). Cut a long story short, I followed your instructions in their car park with a small complement of tools. I borrowed the torque wrench from one of their friendly mechanics, while charging the battery with their power (the least they could do).

Started the car and let it idle for a few mins and then just drove off took it easy so the belt could settle then did all the tightening off when I got home. Power steering work flawlessly the whole way home.

Thus you saved me a bill of £500.00p+ and all the faffing about with having no car.

Thank you again

Giz

Ps to fix a seized actuator - use the basic jack from another car (the one which has a screw bolt to open) , insert the nodules in between the underside of the jack top and above the jack base. Wind the actuator till it moves and nearly closes. Get some thick oil / wd40 and apply to the actuator. Repeat the process till the actuator springs away from the jack (look out for this, it move fast for first 5cm). When done put it back in, its ready. Took me 10 mins more.

Last edited by Changiz Gaskin; 09-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY - Serpentine belt replacement for HR's