Notices

Automatic gearbox "transmission fail safe"

Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Leery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic gearbox "transmission fail safe"

Hey, is it hard to fix "transmission fail safe" problem? Because I have a buddy with a 350z with "transmission fail safe" problem and he wanna sell it to me CHEAP.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome. You're actually in a far better place to estimate repair costs for an automatic transmission than any of us. The Z will activate a CEL whenever there's a problem detected that could cause a serious accident. If the problem is in the automatic tranny, it will display a code that can be read. It sounds as though you have no specialized tools to actually work on the tranny itself, so you'll need professional help.

Depending on your specific locale, costs to diagnose the problems will vary. Call up a few tranny shops to find out if they've ever worked on a Z33 auto and find out what a diagnostic visit will cost. After that, you can make an educated decision for yourself.

Finally, if you're thinking you can do the work yourself and expect that this board will guide you step-by-step in the diagnosis and repair, you can fuggetboutit. There are few owners here who've pulled apart their auto trannys, and fewer still who can guide you in their repair from behind a keyboard.
The following users liked this post:
05 Touring (06-18-2021)

Search this Thread