Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

DD LS 350Z Build!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 PM
BikesNZs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DD LS 350Z Build!

Welp...Finally got around to building my (affordable) dream car. I'm originally a gm guy but I've found a soft spot for the imports over the years! Used to have a Camaro and Trans Am and loved the power out of those cars but the sloppy chassis and handling got pretty old....The 350Z is just so much better of a car except could use an upgrade in power....so obviously there is no better choice than the almighty LS1!

So far....got everything taken apart and awaiting on the final parts this week!

I went with the Fueled Racing kit and so far all the parts seem to be of excellent quality and the guys over there have excellent customer service!

I'm going with the good old 5.7 LS1 and T56. I will be keeping track of all the costs of the build including old parts sold. I want to give people a real idea of what a build like this costs because I've been wanting to do this for years but held back because I was afraid of the cost and couldn't find a straight answer on what I was getting myself into.

Anyway, onto the build list!

2000 LS1
Ported/milled 243 heads
233/237 114 LSA Custom cam
Ported LS2 Intake
Fueled Racing 1 7/8" Headers

Built T56
Diamond Stage 2 Clutch

Progress so far!

And my goofy ***...

Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 AM
The_Assassin

Awesome, subscribed but you missed the price of the parts so far lol. Quick question will you be boosting it or keeping it NA?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 AM
BikesNZs

haha getting to that. Need to round up all my receipts! I'm in the process of making an excel spreadsheet of all the money In and out.

I will be keeping it NA. Always wanted to go boosted but just not in the budget right now. Maybe someday...
Old 06-29-2015, 11:03 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging by their website they include everything but the LS1 itself. Hmmm. If I wasn't in the middle of two other builds right now......
Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 AM
SnoXRacer183

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck! I'll be starting my swap shortly just a few hours north of you in Central WI. I go pick up the LS/T56 this weekend...
Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome! Subbed!!! Really want to do that LS swap as well.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:11 PM
DRELOC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask why you chose the Fueled Racing kit over Sikky?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:39 PM
BikesNZs

I chose the FR kit because it seems to be engineered much better than Sikky. The motor sits lower and farther back which gives a lower center of gravity and better weight distribution. Many other little things as well such as the motor mounts are designed better and I can use a stock GTO shifter without any modification. Give FR a call and they can explain all the benefits better than I can.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM
BikesNZs

Finally got a few updates for you guys! Oil pan came in and now I can actually start putting this thing together!

Got more pics coming but having a hard time getting them off my phone because it broke...but as of right now motor and trans are fully bolted in the car as well as headers and driveshaft. I have to say though, this project has been a nightmare as far as fitment issues and any possible thing that could go wrong has!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

subscribed
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BikesNZs

Got more pics coming but having a hard time getting them off my phone because it broke...but as of right now motor and trans are fully bolted in the car as well as headers and driveshaft. I have to say though, this project has been a nightmare as far as fitment issues and any possible thing that could go wrong has!
Care to explain the fitment issues? Is it related to the FR kit or other reasons?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 AM
BikesNZs

I'm assuming that has to do with the fact that I have no idea what i'm doing lol. Also probably has to do with some minor differences with my car compared to others. I guess the body can flex over time and things of that nature according to FR. Mainly the fitment problems I have had were getting the headers in, mostly the drivers side. Tried to do it the way FR told me and another ls swaper said but still wouldn't work so I had to do all of the above and my own way. Fits perfectly fine now. The other issue is that my bell housing was hitting the trans tunnel and the trans mount would barely line up. Got it to clear the tunnel and line up with the mount a little bit better but its still very close. Next issue that will be coming is that my rack power steering lines sit directly in front of where the oil filter lines are supposed to connect to the pan. Haven't tackled this yet but will be today. Could just be a matter of them getting bent when putting the motor in and bending them back and out of the way.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

In for updates. One day I'll be able to do an LS swap.... one day.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

my buddy had issues with the sikky kit... i think no matter which you go with you will run into something
Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

You can make anything fit with a torch and a welder
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

You should have no issues with the PS lines and the oil filter lines, here is how mine looked. This is the motor bolted to the subframe (subframe out of the car)
Name:  0AB24DE4-CBEE-4CB1-9A3C-7FF1C87D11EF-145-00000004B71CC7C3_zps25d27a19.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  90.5 KB

For me it was so much easier dropping the subframe then lifting it back into the car. There was simply no way I could figure out how to get the motor in from the top without doing some serious damage to the steering rack hard lines.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 PM
BikesNZs

^^^^Strange.... my steering rack and lines look completely different than yours. I'll have to post a pic of what they looked like before and after I messed with them. I've got the oil and power steering lines set up now hopefully everything works as it should.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 PM
BikesNZs

Got my power steering situation figured out but man was it a *****...This is what I had to figure out.

Spent all afternoon trying to rebend the power steering lines by hand for the most part and screw them back into their original holes to fit over the oil lines. And this is what I came up with....

Then I needed to drill holes in the frame to mount the oil filter housing.

I was able to hook up the rest of the power steering lines to the pump without too much trouble however the length of the pressure line to the pump just barely made it.

And finally the finished product with the pump oil lines and alternator fully installed! I will however have to move the oil filter housing back an inch or two because it hits the radiator fans when trying to install them.

As of right now I have most of the front end put back together and am currently trying to figure out a solution to running a throttle cable and hooking up the clutch line to the master cylinder which does not reach. Really unsure of where to run the throttle cable through the firewall to make things work properly so if anyone has any suggestions on the subject i'd love to hear them!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Holy effing crap dude that is friggin' awesome! Sub'd for sure
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM
SnoXRacer183

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drill your hole for the throttle cable at about the 9 oclock position where the wiring harness comes through the firewall on the driver side

Quick Reply: DD LS 350Z Build!