Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting leather seats for a Base 350z HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:12 PM
enhanced250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting leather seats for a Base 350z HELP!

I am getting a set of leather seats from a buddy of mine for my Base 350z the only problem is they are power what else do i need other than the seats and how do hook it up!!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

look under the seat, I believe the plug is there doing nothing but looking lost
Old 03-06-2005, 07:40 PM
enhanced250

the only plug i see is for the air bag sensor in the seat i think there is a plug plugged into my seat right now that would be the same for the powered leather seat correct?

could it be under the rug maybe?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 PM
enhanced250

please help because i am swaping seats so if it doesnt work ill be without seats for a while and my car is a daily driver hahaha
Old 03-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I look at my manual and it looks we do not have the plug just sitting there as I said...

looking at this wiring diagram...

"BCM module(body control module)"
supples power from the "power window power supply"

little strange this wiring diagram is... I cant figuer out if you just need power and ground or what the deal is....

Im usually pretty good at reading these things

*edit im pretty sure you just need power and ground*

If I was there I would use your buddies car and his wiring harness and a multi meter to test the harness for such things as ground and 12v source

Last edited by Ahsmo; 03-06-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:27 AM
enhanced250

thank you i guess its gonna be alittle harder than i thought, anybody else have and expeirnce with this
Old 03-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

+1 on power and a ground.
Before you remove the seats from your buddies car, sit in it and adjust it how you want it in case you can't get the power working right away. LOL
Old 03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by Santacruzslick
+1 on power and a ground.
Before you remove the seats from your buddies car, sit in it and adjust it how you want it in case you can't get the power working right away. LOL

+1
Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
enhanced250

haha thanks guys im thinking of just taking power from the cigarette lighter (because its right there) and running 10ga wire to each seat maybe with 2 inline fuses one for each side and then just ground them to the body ill see how it works out also if ido this will the heated seat function always be one because i not hooking those up nor a switch for them

thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 01:23 PM
enhanced250

bump
Old 03-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

use your buddies care to figuer out the wires... much easier than reading the wiring diagram trust me

Im not so sure about tieing into the cigarrette lighter... those motors might draw a ton of current thus blowing your lighter fuses.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:55 PM
enhanced250

tru ill jsut run it straight from the battery
Old 03-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by enhanced250
tru ill jsut run it straight from the battery

good idea

I am thinking about doing the same thing you did, so please, report back as to whether it was a success or a failure
Old 03-07-2005, 07:06 PM
enhanced250

i shoudl know Thursday if his car was totaled or not and if it was im swapping seats so ill let ya kno anyone else with insight would be greatly appreciative!! Thanks i cant belive no one has done this
Old 03-08-2005, 04:33 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I put in a power seat for the driver. I tapped the fusebox using the power window, if I remember correctly. I sat the seat outside the car and experimented until I found the right wires to hook to. The wiring diagram did not help me. The seat I got had airbags, mine don't, so I removed the airbag and filled with foam. Airbags use an odd yellow connector. The seat uses white. My seat works great, the power draw is not a problem.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:10 AM
enhanced250

gringott- do i HAVE to take out the airbags or could i just leave them and not hook them up

do you rember which color was power and ground off the seat becaue im planning on running it straight to the battery any suggestions would help so much my email is poppapump415@aol.com or u can post here thanks you!!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
mikeyj217

i have the same dilemma so help me out if you guys have done this?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
csmith82177

Default Power seat install

I swapped my Base seats for leather OEM. Here is what I did:

1. Unbolt cloth seats
2. Unplug the 2-prong cord from the bottom of your seat and label it "Seatbelt Sensor"
3. Run red wire from cigarette lighter to both sides of the car and black wire from cigarette lighter to both sides of the car. Put one of those electrical fasteners on the end that looks like (___) this from the front. Go to http://doityourself.com/store/miscel...connectors.htm and click on "10Pk Female Disconnect by Gardner Bender" for a pic.
They fasten like a tab-and-slot arrangement. A medium-sized one (16/14 gauge, I believe, but buy a few sizes just in case) will slide onto the tabs under the leather seat perfectly and will be secure without ruining the stock female recepticle. I ran the wires out from under the center console next to the screws holding the center console down on either side. Once the seats are in you can't see them at all.
4. Insert new seats - easiest if the rear seatbacks are moved as far "forward" as possible.
5. Plug in "Seatbelt Sensor" to the two-prong female recepticle. The 4-prong recepticle is for the power/heated seats.
6. Slot the red wire and the black wire onto 2 of the remaining 4 prongs. I can't remember the colors, but if you screw up you aren't going to damage anything - you just won't complete a circuit and nothing will happen. Use trial and error until you find which two are for the seat movement. Make sure the seat is moving in the right direction when you press the corresponding button. If not, switch the red and black wires.
7. I did not wire up the heated seats because I live in San Diego. You can just splice two more wires and slide them onto the two remaining prongs.
8. Bolt the seats down.
9. Have a beer.

NOTES:
Make sure you have enough extra wire length to move the seats forward all the way BEFORE you cut them and splice the wire connectors on.

The lighter is NOT an always-on power source. Therefore your seats will NOT work unless the car is turned on or the key is in the "on" position.

I first tried to run a power wire directly from the battery to the seats(I was also installing an amp at the time). Running power from the battery to the seats then from the seats to a ground does NOT work. I tried it. It needs a complete circuit from positive to negative battery terminal to work. So running power only from the cigarette lighter will not work either. You can run it from the power window circuit but I didn't have a wiring diagram and the lighter was right there.

I did not use any fuses and also have a 400W DC/AC Power inverter running a laptop(for MP-3's and WinAmp) and a DVD/CD-Rom Drive from my cigarette lighter and have not had any problems with fuses. I do NOT have the heated seats hooked up which is a continuous draw when switched on so . . .

I did not have airbag equipped seats and I would be careful when installing them because if you put a current across the airbag curcuit they will BLOW UP! Just kidding, I don't know what would happen.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Chris
Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 PM
juan

who has a left over seat airbag? let me know, thanks.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 PM
mikeyj217

i have 2

Quick Reply: getting leather seats for a Base 350z HELP!