Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recovering Cloth Seats with Leather - Opinions & Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 AM
geez zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering Cloth Seats with Leather - Opinions & Experience?

Happy Monday all!

Having had our Daytona Blue Z for a few weeks, my wife and I are starting to think about all of the things that we would like to do to it... wheels, exhaust... the usual stuff. One of the first areas to get our attention will probably be the seats (it has the "usual" black cloth).

So... there appears to be [at least] two suppliers of leather re-covering "kits" - Katzkin and LeatherSeats.com. Both seem to offer similar products and I suppose are priced about the same. I have actually been in contact with Eric @ LeatherSeats.com and found him to be both responsive and helpful.

Now, that brings me to the questions...

(1) Does anybody have any actual experience with either of these two companies? What is your opinion of the "fit & finish" of their product as well as their overall quaity? Anything "negative" to report?

(2 - and here's a biggie) We are actually thinking of Black leather with orange inserts (remember this is a Daytona Blue Z). Oh yes, an orange shift boot, too. Wifey sez that this will be great looking inasmuch as the colors are complimentary (!) colors. Has anybody else done these colors in their DB Z? Any photos?

Thanks, and have a great (and safe ) week!

Rob
Old 03-15-2005, 04:46 AM
vanwinkl

Default Thumbs up for Leatherseats.com

I bought my seat covers from Leatherseats and I was really impressed with the quality. I read everything that I could find on this and other Z websites and was concerned about ending up with seats that looked puffy and wrinkled, but my seats turned out great. Looks as good, if not better, than factory.

I did the install myself. The covers from Leatherseats didn't come with any directions and they are not really needed. Just pull the seats out and use some wire clippers to clip the hogrings holding in the factory covers. You have to go in order (ie - cut one hogring to get access to the next one) so just pay attention to what you're doing as you'll have to do it in reverse to put the new covers on. Buy the hogring tool and hogrings from whoever you get the covers from. The first seat took me about 3 hours since I didn't know what i was doing and the second seat took me about and hour and a half.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:22 AM
geez zee

[bump]

Thanks vanwinkl... Wow, I would have thought that there would have been others that would be wanting to tell their success (or horror) stories about going to leather from cloth!

Cheerz,

Rob
Old 03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
lemurfart

not to hijack the thread but do these places sell replacement leathers

for example, i want the ventalated seats in the roadster but i want them black, would they have a kit to do that
Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Katzkin leather $460 ..and I bought them from james @atd1.com..I had a local authorized Katzkin installer put them in for $250..

see this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42326

I'm very happy with them..It really transforms the look of my car..

--mike
Old 03-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Chicken

I got leather from a local place, so it's not the two you mentioned. They installed it as well, though they do ship out the leathers, I think.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 PM
FRLDYZPIMPN

Originally Posted by geez zee
Happy Monday all!

Having had our Daytona Blue Z for a few weeks, my wife and I are starting to think about all of the things that we would like to do to it... wheels, exhaust... the usual stuff. One of the first areas to get our attention will probably be the seats (it has the "usual" black cloth).

So... there appears to be [at least] two suppliers of leather re-covering "kits" - Katzkin and LeatherSeats.com. Both seem to offer similar products and I suppose are priced about the same. I have actually been in contact with Eric @ LeatherSeats.com and found him to be both responsive and helpful.

Now, that brings me to the questions...

(1) Does anybody have any actual experience with either of these two companies? What is your opinion of the "fit & finish" of their product as well as their overall quaity? Anything "negative" to report?

(2 - and here's a biggie) We are actually thinking of Black leather with orange inserts (remember this is a Daytona Blue Z). Oh yes, an orange shift boot, too. Wifey sez that this will be great looking inasmuch as the colors are complimentary (!) colors. Has anybody else done these colors in their DB Z? Any photos?

Thanks, and have a great (and safe ) week!

Rob
HERE IS A LOOK AT APACHES WORK IN SANTA FE SPRINGS , CALI
THEY DO IN HOUSE AND THEY SHIP. NOTICE THE BLACK VINYL ON THE BACK JUST LIKE FACTORY. THEY ARE DIRECT MANUFACTURER FOR NISSAN, AND GIVE YOU DEALER PRICE IF YOU MENTION 350 Z MOTORING.COM
Attached Thumbnails Recovering Cloth Seats with Leather - Opinions & Experience?-101_0002.jpg   Recovering Cloth Seats with Leather - Opinions & Experience?-101_0004.jpg   Recovering Cloth Seats with Leather - Opinions & Experience?-101_0003.jpg   Recovering Cloth Seats with Leather - Opinions & Experience?-101_0007.jpg