Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlights fogging up from inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:23 AM
ricks350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights fogging up from inside

What's the deal here..my z is an 03..i was told to use a hairdryer and heat it up from the outside to see if this FOGGING OR SMUGGESS goes away...

btw, I did a search but it's not helping me at all.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 AM
spdu4ia

take it to the dealer and get some new ones per warrante.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:25 AM
SangWL

have you ever touched them before? for example, attempted to get the orange strip out? if not then they should be covered uner warranty.

sang
Old 04-06-2005, 08:33 AM
ricks350z

its out of warranty..car has 52 k on it ...everything is oem..never touched them at all or change strips, etc...

there's got to be an easier way to clean it then taking out the entire assembly and cleaning it from the inside..
Old 04-06-2005, 09:38 AM
LaidbackRacr

Nope...if any consolation I had to replace mine, and lenses are not sold seperatly 1k through dealer for lens and housing 500 through misc chop shop. You can clean the inside though, this I know to be true (I did it) Good luck if you need pointers holla at me done it 4 times now.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Not sure how long ago it started fogging up on you but when I first got my 03, it started fogging up about 6 months after. Brought it to the dealership & they told me that it was a known issue that some of the earlier model Z's had sealant problems with their headlights. In short, they simply replaced them under warrantee.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:09 AM
old_s13

Originally Posted by ricks350z
its out of warranty..car has 52 k on it ...everything is oem..never touched them at all or change strips, etc...

there's got to be an easier way to clean it then taking out the entire assembly and cleaning it from the inside..
dealer has to evaluate the lights. all these newer-style encased headlamps have condensation issues, to a certain extent -- it really depends on where you live. this is common in areas with high humidity since moisture is in the air. however, if there is leakage.. then the light needs to be repaired/replaced.

you can always upgrade them to LED, we'll repair them when we reseal them! :-)

mike / clearcorners.com
Old 04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by old_s13
dealer has to evaluate the lights. all these newer-style encased headlamps have condensation issues, to a certain extent -- it really depends on where you live. this is common in areas with high humidity since moisture is in the air. however, if there is leakage.. then the light needs to be repaired/replaced.

mike / clearcorners.com
Sorry, don't mean to hijack but I needed to ask Mike a question since I have him on.

Hey Mike,

I'm thinking of getting a set of Super Black Headlights. I, however, want the clearstrip to be smoked w/ amber leds instead of the clear strip with white leds. Is this possible? How much would this be shipped? How long will it take? Please PM me details, thanks!

Okay...back on topic .
Old 04-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Alonjar

Take out the bulbs, like pull out the assembly thing and just leave it out so there is a hole in the housing.. then do the hair dryer trick.. or just leave the car so there is bright sunlight on the lights.. this should make the water evaporate, and hopefully escape through the bulb hole. It wont make it go away forever, but it should help get rid of all the trapped moisture.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Edison_Chen

When it was a bit colder outside, the 350Z had fogging in the headlamps. But not water droplets. Just regular fogging, and no modifications has been to done to the headlamps..

The told my dealer and they said, we have to take a look at them first and they would have to evaluate whether if it was necessary to replace them or not
Old 04-06-2005, 05:07 PM
seanrulz

I also had a headlight fogging/condensation problem and got them replaced at dealer under warranty. Since you said that you are out of warranty, new pair of headlight housings are going to cost you about $800~$900. Honestly, if you have to spend money anyway, I'd ship them to clearcorners.com and modify them. It won't cost you much more, and you'll have a pair of awesome headlights! The only downside is that you end up staying without your headlights for several weeks, so if your Z is a daily driver, it might not be a feasible option.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
LaidbackRacr

Well that isn't the only problem if like me you completely ruined yours there is nothing you can do but purchase new ones, but in your situation you can fix them yourself and if water gets in the HID i would recomend selling the car at that point because 2k for lights sux
Old 04-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

See if someone would trade with you and take their Z to a dealer. Mine fogged up and they replaced it under warranty. Its obviously another defect on our cars. It may not affect all but it is on some. 52 miles or 52,000, it was there and its still there. So I don't see it as dishonesty.

UNLESS YOU HIT SOMETHIN

DUN DUN DUN (that music after the question WHO SHOT J.R.!!)
Old 04-07-2005, 09:21 AM
old_s13

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Sorry, don't mean to hijack but I needed to ask Mike a I'm thinking of getting a set of Super Black Headlights. I, however, want the clearstrip to be smoked w/ amber leds instead of the clear strip with white leds. Is this possible? How much would this be shipped? How long will it take? Please PM me details, thanks!
I dont have private messaging turned on, so I'll just reply here..

Creating a smoked strip is not an issue, we've done in before and can do it again -- using amber LEDs is already an option, we offer that with our halogen headlamp conversion, applying that to the HID-spec headlamps is just preference. Downside is, attaining our product right now will be next to near impossible unless you are local in SoCal. Business will be closed for most of May, I am taking time off as I am getting married and will be travelling around parts of Europe. :-) April's work orders are almost up to the brim, so we're not taking any orders unless the customer is local or doesnt mind waiting till after May.

As for the headlamps, yeah.. I am sure you can swap with another 350Z owner who is under warranty, or you can just buy new ones, or used ones.. there are so many ways to resolve this issue. Or, if you have a spare car and some time.. you can go with our service. Or, you can attempt a DIY.. it really comes down to what you want to do. Its not a major issue, you just need to sort through your options. I just wanted to bring it to your attention that we can also assist.. rather than spending money on new headlamps.

Thanks guys!
Mike / ClearCorners.Com
Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 AM
ricks350z

I dont have private messaging turned on, so I'll just reply here..

Creating a smoked strip is not an issue, we've done in before and can do it again -- using amber LEDs is already an option, we offer that with our halogen headlamp conversion, applying that to the HID-spec headlamps is just preference. Downside is, attaining our product right now will be next to near impossible unless you are local in SoCal. Business will be closed for most of May, I am taking time off as I am getting married and will be travelling around parts of Europe. :-) April's work orders are almost up to the brim, so we're not taking any orders unless the customer is local or doesnt mind waiting till after May.

As for the headlamps, yeah.. I am sure you can swap with another 350Z owner who is under warranty, or you can just buy new ones, or used ones.. there are so many ways to resolve this issue. Or, if you have a spare car and some time.. you can go with our service. Or, you can attempt a DIY.. it really comes down to what you want to do. Its not a major issue, you just need to sort through your options. I just wanted to bring it to your attention that we can also assist.. rather than spending money on new headlamps.

Thanks guys!
Mike / ClearCorners.Com

Thanks for everyones' tip..I will make some decisions here.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:53 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Thanks Mike. Guess I'll hit you guys up after May since I'm in no rush to get them right now. BTW...congrats with the wedding & have fun in Europe .

- James
Old 04-11-2005, 08:35 AM
ricks350z

mike / clearcorners.com

Just curious, how much would it cost me to get 2 headlight cleaned out from the inside and have the orange bulbs all cleared out..im at zipcode 30066 in ga.?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 AM
stu46

I believe there's a TSB for this.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 AM
ricks350z

Originally Posted by stu46
I believe there's a TSB for this.
i check and theres tsb on it..maybe i overlooked it.