Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much for a full paint job

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM
NismoGCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much for a full paint job

does anyone know what a full paint job would go for to get a whole car painted candy apple red? right now the car is black so I wouldnt paint the engine bay just the car and door jams.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:53 AM
stu46

I've been quoted $3500.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:11 AM
LaidbackRacr

3K Here
Old 05-03-2005, 09:13 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I would sayy 3000-4000.

But please make sure they completely strip the car, it might cost more but I hate to see nice paint jobs ruined by overspray or tape lines on the weatherstriping it ruins the effect.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3-5K would the the range.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
drsifu

3-5K???

u guys can't be serious....for a candy paint job? i heard that's one of THE most difficult paint jobs since the color changes depending on how much coat you put on. this means the paint job has to be PERFECT for it to look right.

PERFECTION = $$$$$$

my 3 stage paint cost $5-$7 K
Old 05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
bixby

Yea 5k would be more in line if you want a quality paint job.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:09 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by drsifu
3-5K???

u guys can't be serious....for a candy paint job? i heard that's one of THE most difficult paint jobs since the color changes depending on how much coat you put on. this means the paint job has to be PERFECT for it to look right.

PERFECTION = $$$$$$

my 3 stage paint cost $5-$7 K
+1

You're definitely going to spend more if you get a custom type color such as a candy color. Another factor is depending on what paint you use. Also, you have to make sure they "fully" paint the body. This means taking it apart & making sure they cover every single inch including inside the engine bay, trunk, etc...For some reason, some people will just settle for painting just the exterior of the car . If you're going to spend that much money, make sure you do it right or you'll end up spending even more later just to fix it.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:15 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$3-5k sounds right. If you go to a high end shop you will be spending $5-10k, but there is no need. Take your time and verify the work and you will find that painting it Factory color or Candy will only be a difference of roughly $1000. The main factor is the prep work which involves it to be flawless for Candy!

Advice: If your going change the color of a car, make sure you go beyond the door sills and remove the door panels, windshields, and if your up to it the interior panels. The engine bay is no problem for you considering its black. If your going to spend that much money do it right!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
NismoGCoupe

Some of you guy are scaring me with that 10K figure.....the main reason I'm looking to get the car painted is because the factory paint is just complete **** you can see rock chips all over my front bumper , hood, front of the fenders and then the worst is the bottom of the rear wheel wells it just looks like ****. I though the painting process for single candy color is the same as any other paint job I though the paint is what is the expensive part. If I go through with the paint job I would definetly want the original paint stripped down to bare metal.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:50 PM
NismoGCoupe

someone correct me if im wrong but with a candy paint the color will change to different shades of that color, correct
Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoGCoupe
someone correct me if im wrong but with a candy paint the color will change to different shades of that color, correct
The paint color does change, but its only due to multiple layers of paint and colors that are applied that make it seem its only one coat. The CANDY paint that you refer is really not your normal paint that you think. Its more of a tinted clear that allows the color coat (also candy, but matt finish) to really pop when combined. So a good CANDY paint job is usually 3-6 stages:

-Base
-Color
-Color (optional)
-Clear Color (Candy)
-Clear (varies)

IMO I would stay away from candy since its hard to detail and touch up. But it sure damn looks good!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:47 PM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the good candy paints are $$$

Paint alone could cost $1000..
http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp

If your going to paint the whole thing to do it right sometimes requires removing the windows.. Yeah you can just mask them off but IMHO that looks like crap..
Old 05-04-2005, 05:36 AM
NismoGCoupe

is their any other colors out there that have the same effect as candy apple red(diffent shades of the color at different angles/sunlight)?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:39 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by GodZilla
the good candy paints are $$$

Paint alone could cost $1000..
http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp

If your going to paint the whole thing to do it right sometimes requires removing the windows.. Yeah you can just mask them off but IMHO that looks like crap..
if I go through with it.....it will be done right I'll make sure the bodyshop takes everything apart and sprays everything except for the engine bay I can deal with it being black
Old 05-04-2005, 05:46 AM
stu46

Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
SirMikel1

where in Jersey are you from? If you're really serious in this, give my man a call at ATX Motorsports. They won't let anything leave the shop until it's perfection. He'll be able to give you estimates on prices and different paint jobs that would give you the same effect that you're looking for. I know a lot of my350Z members in the area will testify to the excellent work they do. For candy apple red you're roughly looking at about $6500 - $7000.. Your car will be fully stripped for this. And the guy they have that would shoot your car has 30 years of experience in shooting candy colors. Let me know if you're interested and I'll talk to them.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by SirMikel1
where in Jersey are you from? If you're really serious in this, give my man a call at ATX Motorsports. They won't let anything leave the shop until it's perfection. He'll be able to give you estimates on prices and different paint jobs that would give you the same effect that you're looking for. I know a lot of my350Z members in the area will testify to the excellent work they do. For candy apple red you're roughly looking at about $6500 - $7000.. Your car will be fully stripped for this. And the guy they have that would shoot your car has 30 years of experience in shooting candy colors. Let me know if you're interested and I'll talk to them.
I know about ATX thats one of the places I was planning on taking it to but I still want to look at a few other shops.....I'm still not 100% sure Im going to get it repainted yet...... I just can't take the rock chips on a black car anymore you see everything
Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Purchase the Z and drive it. Have fun. If you want a museum piece, park it and don't drive it.

When the paint gets chipped or starts to look bad, paint it.

I just had the hood painted on my BLACK SUV for $600. The rest of the vehicle didn't need it. Now it looks new again.

As soon as you paint it some kid with a bike will damage it......or some dumbass will key it.

Fact is, once you start driving it, some'tin gonna happen.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by jcn30127
Purchase the Z and drive it. Have fun. If you want a museum piece, park it and don't drive it.

When the paint gets chipped or starts to look bad, paint it.

I just had the hood painted on my BLACK SUV for $600. The rest of the vehicle didn't need it. Now it looks new again.

As soon as you paint it some kid with a bike will damage it......or some dumbass will key it.

Fact is, once you start driving it, some'tin gonna happen.
I know what you're saying thats one reason I dont want to get it repainted cause most likely it just going to happen again......this is my daily driver its not a weekend car

Quick Reply: how much for a full paint job