Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight assembly repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 AM
bharath80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight assembly repair

My HID headlight assembly on the passenger side has some scuff marks on it from a fender bender. I could not buff it off and it is definitely hard to see. But I still am too picky and am considering replacing the headlight assembly housing. I looked at the Factory Service Manual and it does not look too complicated.

I am soliciting advice on how involved of a procedure this is, as I do not want to be halfway through, only to realize I cannot finish it.

People with associated parts can PM me too.

Thanks !
Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 AM
cbrflyer919

Its not too hard as long as your comfortable with a small pile of bolts to keep up with. Five clips on top of bumper, 8 screws on bottom of bumper, peel each inner fender back a little to expose one screw holding bumper to fender, and one BOLT that supports the bumper via an L bracket attached to the headlight...Remove front bumper (actually should have fallen off by this point)....Three screws holding headlight assembly in, one on top, two on bottom...one on the bottom is hard to see but its there, (Use a magnetic tip screwdriver fore reaasmbly)...Honestly the biggest pain is removing all the wiring and redoing it to the new headlight, its not hard but getting that HID bulb back in perfect takes some patience. Just use the old headlight as a guide on how to reassemble (TAKE NOTE ON HOW THE CLIPS/WIRES FOR HID BULB ARE PLACED)......reassemble everything (be sure to check that all bulbs are working before putting the bumper back on, hehe).....Have fun...........Oh, and btw, I woudlnt do this job nor pay for a new headlight unless it looks BAD, costs too much and the new one will get scratched in time anyway. I had some scratches on mine and used a polymer bonding wax and it cover the scratches right up, they were pretty deep as well. I just have to reapply about once a month. Works for me. Anyway, good luck!!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
bharath80

Thanks for your info cbrflyer919. Well, you cannot even spot the scuff marks unless you are right on top of the light. I am willing to try your alternative solution. Which was the polymer bonding wax that you used and how is that supposed to be applied ?
Thanks again !
Old 06-17-2005, 03:50 AM
cbrflyer919

Just like normal wax. You should use a buffer though to get the best results. I cant remember the name off the top of my head, but I know they sell it in a local store in Raleigh for sure. I always buy some when Im going to NC to see my mom. This stuff works better than anyother wax Ive ever seen. Ill find out the name and post later...