Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint...any probs in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 PM
cyberz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint...any probs in CA?

Hey guys, I just got a tint job. I got everything tinted except the front windshield because I figure it would be a waste and frankly not look as good if I just tinted the triangles and the rear window. Now I know according to Mr. Policeman, I'm not supposed to tint those windows. But I see tons of cars with those windows tinted. How many of you who live in California (or anywhere else where it's illegal) have gotten tickets for their tint? Well, here's some pics, I think it adds a nice touch. Not to mention it's just in time for summer.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:12 PM
imalazeeass

nice car. I've had 16% all around (except the front) for about a year 1/2 now. No problems. Just gotta be aware of cops around u and hit the switch as fast as u can when u see one!
Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, your z is coming along very nicely, oliver!
i've had to remove my tint twice in the distant past, but its like all the other illegal mods here in cali. if you're chill with the cop and he doesn't have a hardon for tint, you'll prolly be ok.
i plan on getting some too, but not as dark cuz rear visibility is limited enough already in our cars.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:33 AM
B-Unit

Naw, you wont have a prob. im in murrieta too with tint! lol. havent seen you around tho.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly you can tint the upper 4" of windshield if you want.

Forward of the driver's shoulders - our door windows - the limit is 70%.

The rear window and two tiny triangle windows there is no limit except for choice of colors.

Windows can not be tinted red, amber, or blue. Windows can not increase reflectivity but metallic or mirrored ones are permitted.

From the Internation Window Film Association web site.

I'm still stewing whether to tint mine black or go with a light mirror effect ...
Old 07-10-2005, 03:23 PM
B-Unit

I would do black!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 PM
cyberz350

Thanks for the input and compliments guys. It's good to hear that you guys aren't having too many problems with your tint. My thinking is a cop isn't gonna pull you over for tint unless you're doing something else, like speeding. I think it's one of those petty things cops can tack on to your violation if he wants to be a punk, like no front license plate.

B-Unit: I used to live with my parents in Murrieta, over by Murrieta Hot Springs and Margarita. They still live there, and I come visit, but I live with my girl in Irvine now. Good to hear you haven't had problems out there with your tint. I figure the cops over there should understand with how hot it gets out there.

Zboy: Thanks man, I'm pretty much done with the aesthetics part of the Z. I've got the kit, the rims, the tint, an HID kit, etc. The only other thing I can think of is maybe some leather seats and a leather wrapped steering wheel. I really wish I had the cash to put down on some FI, I don't want to waste money on NA bolt ons.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:20 PM
35oZephyR

Had tint for over a year and half...

I've been at stoplights right next to squad cars and had my windows up. Some officers would look at the car and do nothing. Have never had any hassles (knock on wood).

I consider Tint tickets to be "convenient tickets". Most cops will write you down for it if it's convenient to them.

It's a good infraction to tack on a list if you were already pulled over for something else. Just make sure you hit "roll down" on all your windows if you ever get pulled over for anything else, so it gets "overlooked".

Tint was an issue back in the So Cal street racing hayday. It was good leverage for cops to pull over any modified cars under the reason of "oh your windows were tinted" to bookkeep on some suspects, racers and stolen property.

Tint...23% titanium.
Attached Thumbnails Tint...any probs in CA?-zephz33.jpg  

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 07-10-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:28 AM
the7ferret

Dont be a dumbass in front of the cops and they wont care, same as if you have no front plate
Old 07-11-2005, 08:54 AM
itsjoshufocker

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i havent been pulled over for any tint... car looks great. does your greddy body kit lower the car's ground clearance?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 AM
cyberz350

Originally Posted by itsjoshufocker
yeah i havent been pulled over for any tint... car looks great. does your greddy body kit lower the car's ground clearance?
Thanks. As for the kit, I'm not how much it lowers it by exactly. If I were to guess, I would say maybe an inch or so. I don't have any problems scrapin them on speed bumps, *knock on wood*. I am more careful with it though, especially with the Veilside front lip in fiberglass.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 AM
GWAPITO69

you guys are so lucky. I got pulled over 2 weeks after I had my tint done on my ride.. F$%king Long beach cops...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
cyberz350

Was it just for the Tint? Did they get you for anything else? That sucks man, sorry.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Forward of the driver's shoulders - our door windows - the limit is 70%.
how much darker than stock is 70%? Is it even a noticeable difference?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:46 PM
UCLAzzz

I got the titanium tint like 350zypher, not sure the percentage but out of the three to choose from, I choose the medium tint. Anyways, the good thing about the titanium besides looking sweet on silver based cars is that when it is sunny, it is moderately transparent, so it is not as obvious! Also, the place I got it done, Mikes Tint in Buena Park, will take it off and put it back on if I get pulled over! Nice little incentive!

BTW, cyberz350, where did you get your cf hood from? How long have you had it? Any fading? How does it fit?

Last edited by UCLAzzz; 07-11-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:00 PM
plokivos

In GA, they just reinstated the tint law. Everyone's getting tickets now.

funny thing is that most of the people got their tint when it was legal in GA, now they all of a sudden made it illegal.

Really, you can't ask people to take the tint out that they paid $200+ on and pay the ticket for something that they didn't foresee.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 PM
cyberz350

Originally Posted by UCLAzzz
I got the titanium tint like 350zypher, not sure the percentage but out of the three to choose from, I choose the medium tint. Anyways, the good thing about the titanium besides looking sweet on silver based cars is that when it is sunny, it is moderately transparent, so it is not as obvious! Also, the place I got it done, Mikes Tint in Buena Park, will take it off and put it back on if I get pulled over! Nice little incentive!

BTW, cyberz350, where did you get your cf hood from? How long have you had it? Any fading? How does it fit?
Dam man, that's a good deal. Wish I knew about that place. As for the hood, I bought from someone around here used. I got it for a decent price. There's a few scratches here and there but nothing too serious. Fits pretty much like stock, I think the gap between the hood and the fenders are a little big bigger but seriously not noticeable. I'm pretty happy with it overall.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 PM
GWAPITO69

Originally Posted by cyberz350
Was it just for the Tint? Did they get you for anything else? That sucks man, sorry.

I got pulled over by the CHP for no front plates a week before I had my tint done then pulled over by LB police two weeks after I got my tints. so yeah it's just fix it tickets but still sucks though.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:18 AM
B-Unit

Dude that sucks, if you know any doctors, just have them sign a note saying you have a skin condition and you need the tint to protect your skin.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:56 PM
n666

got tickets twice..paid both time...third time paid 10 dollars and took the tint off...
just not worth it for me...

Quick Reply: Tint...any probs in CA?