Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once tinting is put on, it can't be removed without damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:54 AM
abz123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once tinting is put on, it can't be removed without damage?

Would it tear off the dots by the rearview mirror or any other things like defroster strips, etc?

Last edited by abz123; 12-10-2002 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:59 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been concerned about this as well. I would like tint here in TX, but am moving to CA in a couple years where it isn't allowed (on the front). I've heard it can be removed by a tint shop, but it's probably not fun and there is a chance the rear defroster will get messed up. I'm going to have to think on it some more before I get it done, but I may just get a lighter tint that I can probably get away with in CA, so I don't have to take the change of removing it.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:04 AM
Duck

I live in Cali and have my front windshield tinted as do many other people and I havent been bothered by a cop once. So unless you really want to take it off I wouldnt.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:53 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just plan your tint for when you get to california, do whatever your comfortable with there.

I dont think tinting the front is a real good idea anyway, not if you want to see where your going at night...
Old 12-10-2002, 10:00 AM
BrainStorm

No, there won't be any damage if you take the tint off. You can even do it yourself. It might leave some residue which you can just wash off.

A tip in case anyone gets a "fix-it" ticket for their tint in California--before you get your windows tinted, take a picture of your car. That way, if you ever have to prove that you've removed your tint, you can show the court liasion the picture and you're off the hook. It works sometimes, lol.

Last time I checked (which was April of this year) you can have any shade of tint on your car except for on the front windshield. I have 20% on all four passenger windows and the rear window on my car.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:09 AM
MustGoFastR

I thought it was illegan on the driver and passenger door windows in CA? I'll be moving to San Diego. In all the pics I've seen on here from their SD Julian run, I haven't noticed any of their windows being tinted.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:14 PM
lemans

Front driver and passenger windows(NOT EVEN CONSIDERING LEGALITY OF FRONT WINDSHIELD) are or at least were illegal in Ca as of 3 years ago. Beileve it is still that way. Installed front tint when I arrived in GA on my 300z. Believe me with the sun in CA if it was legal I would have installed it. And you can be stopped and made to remove it. I was not interested in tempting cops.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:31 PM
BrainStorm

Originally posted by lemans
Front driver and passenger windows(NOT EVEN CONSIDERING LEGALITY OF FRONT WINDSHIELD) are or at least were illegal in Ca as of 3 years ago. Beileve it is still that way. Installed front tint when I arrived in GA on my 300z. Believe me with the sun in CA if it was legal I would have installed it. And you can be stopped and made to remove it. I was not interested in tempting cops.
I've never been stopped because of my tint. Not with this car, not with my last car. Even my parents car is fully tinted, they've never been stopped either. When I was pulled over for speeding last year (51 in a 35), the officer never mentioned the tinted windows, even though the window was still up when he approached my car.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:49 PM
lemans

True you may not get stopped or CAUGHT but I know some folks that were. they just had a ticket to remove tint,. Some even removed it, fixed their ticket and had it redone. On a further note, sinc eit is illegal there are many shops in CA that will not tint your front windows.
just not interested in attracting cops or giving them a reason to pull me over. Final note...undoubtedly most illegal acts on the highways streets are not ticketed. Does not mean it won't/can't happen but I am certainly not one that believes you cannot get away with something.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:35 PM
vinz

it all depends on other factors as well. like the color of your car, and whether u open a little bit of your window when you are driving at night. if you got a white z, then its better that you dont put too dark a tint. but if your z is black then there's a 70% chance you wont get caught. also generally cops dont stop you for tinting your windows only, they go for speeding peeing or stop signs then the minor details follow.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:40 PM
daytona350z

i am here in so cali and my friend has a tinting shop here...
he has a huge teuck with all windows tinted even the winshield and he hasnt been bothered yet. basically when i go in for my tint once i get the streaks out, i will tint the car in limo for the rear and the two portholes, and i will do the driver/passenger in a "smoked" style. a lil lighter, but still tinted..
cops usually go for the speeding cars around here since there are so many.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:41 PM
roberto350z

after peeling off the tint, just remember the glue comes off with soapy water and thats it! When I did mine, I used alcohol and it tool hours. I had no idea soapy water was the trick ( I was 16, what can I say?)
Old 12-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Radian

Exclamation Removing Tinting

I saw an article that listed the "Easy Professional" way to remove tinting.

Basically what you do is spray/soak all the tinting with soapy water. Then "stick" cut up black garbage bags on it. Leave it over night (Out of direct sunlight) and then in the morning, the soapy water will have soaked through the tinting and softened the glue. The bags and the tint slide right off.

The "theory" behind it is that the black garbage bags hold the water in against the tint preventing it from evaporating. Thus it has time to soak in and soften the glue.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:20 AM
silverz

Default Tint removal

There is a trick to removing tint. This method I learned from a 16 year verteran of tinting. He comes up with some cool stuff. Take a black plastic garbage bag and cut it out the size/shape of the window. Hold it up to the OUTSIDE of the window and spray it with "Simple Green", then let the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours. The chemicals in the simple green and the heat from the sun will release the glue on the tint. After a couple of hours just go inside the car and pull the tint off the window. It works awesome and won't ruin the defogger.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:09 PM
roberto350z

Default Re: Tint removal

Originally posted by silverz
There is a trick to removing tint. This method I learned from a 16 year verteran of tinting. He comes up with some cool stuff. Take a black plastic garbage bag and cut it out the size/shape of the window. Hold it up to the OUTSIDE of the window and spray it with "Simple Green", then let the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours. The chemicals in the simple green and the heat from the sun will release the glue on the tint. After a couple of hours just go inside the car and pull the tint off the window. It works awesome and won't ruin the defogger.

so what you are saying is that the simple green will penetrate glass?!??!
Old 12-17-2002, 12:53 PM
alphared

Ever consider Satic Cling Tints.

They're thicker than regular tints and installation is the same as regular tints (but easier, cause if you mess up you can peel it off and try again)

I figure the back would be the hardest part of the install, but should be relative easy since its doesn't curve too much.

They sell them at Walmart (or any auto store) and they have different tint amount and sizes and a roll cost about $15 (2 or 3 rolls should be enough for side and back)

Will try this solution when it gets warmer, going to put in 20% tint on side and back.

If you get caught and have to remove it its alot easier to do than regular tints. ( just peel it off, take pic for court, and put it back on afterward)