Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have pics of 8,000K and/or 10,000K HID bulbs on the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krnlikewh0a
wow, those projectors are amazing!! Do the bi-xenons come looking like that, or will I have to "color mod" them. Exactly what is color modding? Is there some type of filter added to the projectors?
no the bixenons will never come from the factory looking like that. they will have a much smaller blue to purple cut off line. when you "color mod" a projector, there's actually quite a few ways this can be done. 2 of the most common are adding washers to the housing or bending the cut off shield. when you add washers, you are simply putting a tiny bit more distance between the bulb and lense. goto www.hidplanet.org and register on those forums. there's more information on that website than you could ever imagine. when you bend the shield, you are creating a little bit more distance between the shield and the bulb. using varying degrees and combinations of these 2 methods and others, you CAN, not will, but can achieve more color in the cutoff line. like i said, the above projector is from a TSX. i'm not sure what company makes those projectors but each projector is different. the ones in the Z are relatively new, and i have no experience with them. someone would need to sit down and play around with a set of stock Z projectors and see what happens.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
HockeyZ39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as soon as the new 06 lights start getting put on 05 and be4 Z's Ima pick up a extra set of headlights for cheap and attempt a custom retro to full projection with a S2000 projector.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:03 PM
PeteNJ

PLEASE PLEASE do not put 8000K+ bulbs in your OEM HID reflector headlights. The headlights in the 03-05 350Z and G35 are subpar compared to others stock. Losing more light is crazy. Also, for all of you guys who had halogen lighting from the factory. Sticking a xenon kit into your headlights is a VERY BAD idea. You will get light scattering EVERYWHERE.

I spent the last 4 days doing a projector retrofit on my 05 G35 6mt coupe. I plan on finishing the project next weekend. Here are some preview pics:

Stanley Single Xenon Projectors (Used in TSX headlights):

Color modded with 1 washer between projector lens and reflector bowl:

I know you can get more color with more washers but I didn't want to have any purple in my cutoff. The output is AMAZING. Nigh and day difference from the stock reflector setup. I can't wait to finish this project up.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Acree

looks awesome. i had plans on doing a TL Bixenon retrofit but i couldnt ever come up with a way to make it look close to stock. luckily you guys already have a cylinder. it's hard to tie in a circle into the Z headlights' weird shape.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 PM
HockeyZ39

Maybe custom fab'ing a inside peice for the Z light similar to the G35 is a possibility? Also I dont want a bi-xenon light as they dont seem to get as much color as the tsx/s2000 and the beam pattern is not as wide as the s2000. Would getting a set of CHEAP halogen projectors be an option for high beams? Dont want reflector high beam, b/c I want the whole inside of the light black!
Old 10-09-2005, 05:35 AM
PeteNJ

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
Maybe custom fab'ing a inside peice for the Z light similar to the G35 is a possibility? Also I dont want a bi-xenon light as they dont seem to get as much color as the tsx/s2000 and the beam pattern is not as wide as the s2000. Would getting a set of CHEAP halogen projectors be an option for high beams? Dont want reflector high beam, b/c I want the whole inside of the light black!
I am not familiar with the 350Z headlight design. All I know that there is a low beam reflector portion in addition to the faux mini projector. I think since your housing is so large and has space a bixenon projector retro would be the easiest and most effective. If you get a 3" projector and use some BMW 3" Projector trim it would look real nice! I didn't go bixenon because none of them will fit the upper housing of my headlight. I also didn't want to have double projectors (Too blingy for my tastes).
Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 AM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by PeteNJ
I am not familiar with the 350Z headlight design. All I know that there is a low beam reflector portion in addition to the faux mini projector. I think since your housing is so large and has space a bixenon projector retro would be the easiest and most effective. If you get a 3" projector and use some BMW 3" Projector trim it would look real nice! I didn't go bixenon because none of them will fit the upper housing of my headlight. I also didn't want to have double projectors (Too blingy for my tastes).
I dont really WANT double projectors, BUT I do want no crome in my housing, and I want the color and beam patter of a s2000 projector over a bi-xenon light. But Dual projectors in each housing can be done if the high beams are halogen?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Acree

actually the projector is for low beam, and the reflector portion that is
under it is for the high beam.

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
I dont really WANT double projectors, BUT I do want no crome in my housing, and I want the color and beam patter of a s2000 projector over a bi-xenon light. But Dual projectors in each housing can be done if the high beams are halogen?
dual projectors would definately work but a halogen bulb would be best for the high beam. if you put xenon in the high beam, anytime you try to flick them at someone, you would never really put any light out since the xenon needs time to warm up. not to mention, a rapid "on, off" is VERY bad for xenon and ballast bulb life.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:33 PM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by Acree
actually the projector is for low beam, and the reflector portion that is
under it is for the high beam.

dual projectors would definately work but a halogen bulb would be best for the high beam. if you put xenon in the high beam, anytime you try to flick them at someone, you would never really put any light out since the xenon needs time to warm up. not to mention, a rapid "on, off" is VERY bad for xenon and ballast bulb life.
Ya I have read about that, I ment halogen projectors for high beams.