Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LH Headlight Always on!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:02 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LH Headlight Always on!

When my headlights are turned on (low beam) the LH (driver side) high beam turns on, but the RH (passenger side) is working properly. When I flash the high beam switch the LH's high beam remains on, but the turn signal light (orange) illuminates a small amount and the back bumber turn signal also turns on a small amount. It seems as if the low beam wire was cut and connected to the highbeam and now its all the highbeam!

I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment, interior and even check all the wires running from the LH headlight to the fuse box for cracks or tears, but nothing.

Does anyone have any leads or does anything connect to the headlights that may be causing this that I can check? I did have my RH headlight wire harness replace (accident), but the RH works fine! Help......

Does any one know of a Electrician that can help me?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an expensive mess that's going to lead to a ticket. I'd pull the high beam fuse and just do without them if I were you until you get this fixed.

The high-beam and low-beam relays are in the "Intelligent Power Distribution Module Engine Room" (I swear that's what Nissan calls it!). The IPDM E/R is behind the battery on the passenger's side - IIRC you have to remove the trim piece around the battery to get to it.

There is but one relay for both of the lights and if that circuity were crossed the voltage would flow down both paths and light up both head lights. That would mean that the left light which is stuck on is wired to another circuit completely!

Fuse #21 is for the left-hand side and #27 is for the right-hand high beams. They're 15A fuses in the IPDM E/R box.

On the left-hand side the high-beams are a red with a black stripe wire, the low-beams are red with a yellow stripe wire.

PS: I'm not a Nissan mechanic but I'm an old USN electrician and live near Riverside.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 AM
ecorona6

A ticket indeed...thats why I stop using my Z at night! I would pull the fuse for the left hand high beam, but I failed to mention that my low beam doesnt work. Thats the major problem.. my LH high beam is acting as low and high beam! I cant pull the fuse cause I would be screwed if I need to drive at night.

Thanks for the info......If your willing to take a crack at the problem PM me and we will talk rates....
Old 10-09-2005, 09:40 AM
jckolnturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why wouldn't you just go back to the dealer?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:19 PM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by jckolnturn
why wouldn't you just go back to the dealer?
I bought it off the insurance company, so I take it back anywhere. My problem my cost!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Peking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I'd pull the high beam fuse and just do without them if I were you until you get this fixed.
The high-beam and low-beam relays are in the "Intelligent Power Distribution Module Engine Room" (I swear that's what Nissan calls it!). The IPDM E/R is behind the battery on the passenger's side - IIRC you have to remove the trim piece around the battery to get to it.
There is but one relay for both of the lights and if that circuity were crossed the voltage would flow down both paths and light up both head lights. That would mean that the left light which is stuck on is wired to another circuit completely!
Fuse #21 is for the left-hand side and #27 is for the right-hand high beams. They're 15A fuses in the IPDM E/R box.
On the left-hand side the high-beams are a red with a black stripe wire, the low-beams are red with a yellow stripe wire.
PS: I'm not a Nissan mechanic but I'm an old USN electrician and live near Riverside.
Glad I found this in a search for the low beam headlight fuses... I have a service manual but not clear enough for me to understand, but your post I can. So I have to remove the battery and the trim that holds it. So there I would find both fuses for the light and right side low beams, reason I ask is because I bought a HID kit which requires me to swap out those fuses with the ones provided in the kit.

So do you know which Fuse Numbers are for the low beams?

Thanks for you help.

Last edited by Peking; 02-04-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peking

So do you know which Fuse Numbers are for the low beams?

Thanks for you help.
I IM'ed you.