Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lambo Doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 PM
sYo0n27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lambo Doors

im thinking of buying Lambo doors for my 350, the pictures all look nice, and i'm not a real big mechanics guy. Its self install and im cool with that, but it says most fenders will have to be cut..., i don't want to do any cutting or anything like that. If any one has installed one b4, can you let me no how you did it?

2005 350z
the doors are from http://www.verticaldoors.com/view_vdc.html?Kit=136
Old 11-12-2005, 05:04 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you have to worrying about wielding as well? Don't those kits require you to wield it on to the frame?

Edit: Nevermind, I think some people just wield them on after for added stability.

Last edited by ZlleH; 11-12-2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Gary King

I've installed both Vertical Doors Inc. & LSD-Doors, www.lsd-doors.com Hinges and LSD-Doors is definitely the way to go. They fit and function so much better and the quality is way better.

If you are not very comfortable doing mechanical or body work, then this is not really a job you would want to do.

The cutting needed on the fenders is done on the inside so you don't see it unless the door is up and you look behind the fender.

It is a great mod when done though, gets lots of attention.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:14 AM
ZlleH

Man, I thought these kits went for $900 bucks, how dome they are in the $2,000 range now O.o So much for my next year lambo door plan >_<;;
Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 AM
style JDM

please don't...
Old 11-12-2005, 12:41 PM
sYo0n27

Originally Posted by Gary King
I've installed both Vertical Doors Inc. & LSD-Doors, www.lsd-doors.com Hinges and LSD-Doors is definitely the way to go. They fit and function so much better and the quality is way better.

If you are not very comfortable doing mechanical or body work, then this is not really a job you would want to do.

The cutting needed on the fenders is done on the inside so you don't see it unless the door is up and you look behind the fender.

It is a great mod when done though, gets lots of attention.
i can do most of the body work, its not that im uncomfortable, its just that im not sure how to do the cutting. Is it really hard to do the cutting or can most ppl do it without classes and such? What does it mean to "roll" the interior fender?

Last edited by sYo0n27; 11-12-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Gary King

Get some good tin-cutters to cut the fender. You'll want 3-pairs, one for straight cuts, one for left, one for right. Rolling sort of means bending the metal over. If you are real careful you can make all the necessary cuts and not have to bend or paint anything.

The LSD website has install instructions there in their application chart, check that out.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another Useless mod in my opinion
Old 11-12-2005, 03:12 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had the Vertical Door kit since 6/2004. I had it installed by a top-notch body shop.

Although I like it, I have developed some problems recently.

1. The struts do not hold the doors up when it is cold outside.
2. The drivers door has sagged a little, and when I tried to adjust it, the set screw broke off.
3. The drivers side strut acually broke. It still works, but it's shaft is broken at where it becomes threaded. Because of it's limited ability to move, the two broken pieces line up and allows it to function anyway.

To fix all of this, I must remove both front fenders, buy new struts, and fukc with getting it all aligned again. Although I could easily put the stock hinges back on.....I'm gonna repair it all because it is such an attraction and novelty.

Bottom line - worthwhile but costly and high maintenance mod.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Gary King

Originally Posted by jcn30127
I have had the Vertical Door kit since 6/2004. I had it installed by a top-notch body shop.

Although I like it, I have developed some problems recently.

1. The struts do not hold the doors up when it is cold outside.
2. The drivers door has sagged a little, and when I tried to adjust it, the set screw broke off.
3. The drivers side strut acually broke. It still works, but it's shaft is broken at where it becomes threaded. Because of it's limited ability to move, the two broken pieces line up and allows it to function anyway.

To fix all of this, I must remove both front fenders, buy new struts, and fukc with getting it all aligned again. Although I could easily put the stock hinges back on.....I'm gonna repair it all because it is such an attraction and novelty.

Bottom line - worthwhile but costly and high maintenance mod.
Have you thought about trying the LSD kit? I've had mine on for about 6 months and I let people open and close the things all the time and they have been trouble free. You cannot hit your door panel on the A-pillar with this kit. I had the Vertical Doors Inc. hinges on for about a month and could not wait to get them off. I went back to stock till the LSD kit became available.

The LSD hinges have the Magic Stick which holds your door in a fixed horizontal plain. They open and close like factory. No having to hold your door down to close it with these. They have a lifetime warranty on the hinge and a year on the strut, plus they are crash certified in Europe and come with a TUV Certificate.

Last edited by Gary King; 11-12-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:24 PM
ZlleH

I disagree with both of you. It depends on what you bought the car for.

I didn't buy the car to drag race it, I'm not going to go pro with the car on the track. I'm not going to push the car pass 400hp. So it's mostly for show(40% performance mods/60% looks mods, as you can tell in my signiture, it's mostly performance mods so far). And I hope to enter more car shows when I have more looks mods. Been in one car show already and next time, I want a wow factor. I didn't really get the wow factor that I wanted when I was betwreen a Prowler and a c6.

When I was a kid, I always admired cars with different door styles, suicide doors, vertical doors, upper hinges doors, etc. I bought this car because when I was a kid, I always dreamed about having a TT 300ZX, so this lambo door mod will complete one of my dreams when I was a kid.

It's not a useless mod when it makes you happy.

Originally Posted by style JDM
please don't...
Originally Posted by style vick781
Another Useless mod in my opinion

Last edited by ZlleH; 11-12-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Satans350

$2000 that is waaaay tooo much money for two hinges !!!!
what are these companies thinking????
Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Gary King

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I disagree with both of you. It depends on what you bought the car for.

I didn't buy the car to drag race it, I'm not going to go pro with the car on the track. I'm not going to push the car pass 400hp. So it's mostly for show(40% performance mods/60% looks mods, as you can tell in my signiture, it's mostly performance mods so far). And I hope to enter more car shows when I have more looks mods. Been in one car show already and next time, I want a wow factor. I didn't really get the wow factor that I wanted when I was betwreen a Prowler and a c6.

When I was a kid, I always admired cars with different door styles, suicide doors, vertical doors, upper hinges doors, etc. I bought this car because when I was a kid, I always dreamed about having a TT 300ZX, so this lambo door mod will complete one of my dreams when I was a kid.

It's not a useless mod when it makes you happy.
Well said.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Gary King

Originally Posted by Satans350
$2000 that is waaaay tooo much money for two hinges !!!!
what are these companies thinking????
Do you know what goes into designing and machining these hinges? Or the cost of the materials, crash certification and being able to back it up with a life time warranty? Not trying to flame you, but if you have seen how nice these things are and how well they work, $2000.00 might not seem so outrages. Also as hinted earlier, these are not for everyone, so this is not a mass produced part.

Last edited by Gary King; 11-12-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Satans350

Dont get me wrong its a great looking mod!! id make my own before i spend $2000+ on it

they are hinges!!!! they have been engineered already

Last edited by Satans350; 11-12-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Gary King

they are hinges!!!! they have been engineered already
What do you mean? Each of these hinges are engineered specifically for each vehicle.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Satans350

they swing out and up what is there to engineer?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Gary King

they swing out and up what is there to engineer?
Have you ever seen these?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Satans350

i checked out the link to the lsd website on your post
Old 11-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Gary King

i checked out the link to the lsd website on your post
I wish you could see them in person. It does seem like a simple concept, open your door then lift it up. But you would be surprised how little room their is to work with between the hinge and your fender to lift the door vertically while preventing your door skin from hitting the front fender or your door panel from hitting your A-Pillar. Then you need all the door gaps to be right and your door to open and close like factory.

Yes $2000.00 is a big chunk of change for some hinges. But, from what I have found after being at SEMA, checking out kits on other peoples rides and installing some different kits myself, this is the only kit I would want on my car.

These aren’t the only hinges out there, you can buy hinges for half as much, but they will not be as nice as these.

Quick Reply: Lambo Doors