Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lambo doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Saint_Spinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toretto26
u must not be able to afford lambo hinges cause they look good weather a car designer says so or not
Lambo hinges are cheap both in price and taste. I could easily afford to purchase and install them.

And I wouldn't try correct Makim's spelling either. Your's isn't too hot so far.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 PM
abyss

Knockoffs are cheap, real kits are expensive. Those kits on ebay are not to be messed with. The Z is actually one of the few cars that can pull off looking good with vert doors if they have a nice body kit.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know those people were considered "losers". Why are they "losers"? Because they put clear taillights on? I don't understand how you concluded someone putting clear taillights on as losers.

I personally like vertical doors since I was young, remembering the lambo doors, the suicide doors, the upper roof hing doors, the doors that would fold in half. I was fascinated with them. I was also impressed with the TT 300ZX.

I finally owned a Z, so I would like to complete my next dream of putting vertical doors on the Z. It has nothing to do with what other people think or that I will look like (how you elegantly put it) a "loser".

Some people have a strong enough personailty where they don't care what other people think, some live their lives on what other people think.

Originally Posted by makim
listen, i would feel like a total loser having them on my car
how cool can it be knowing that hundreds of losers have them on their (civics, civics dx, lancer es, toyota corollas, and many more)

you basically compare yourself to other losers and get no respect from people with nice cars
Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
abyss

He thinks anyone who drives a nice car thats less expensive than a Z is a loser basically.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:07 PM
bmxox

this is going no where fast
Old 11-23-2005, 02:47 PM
makim
Banned

Originally Posted by abyss
He thinks anyone who drives a nice car thats less expensive than a Z is a loser basically.
thats not what i said, i like hondas and toyotas, what i hate is ricey sh.t
lambo doors, huge wings, led nozzles, etc etc

its hard to talk about class, some have it others dont

if you think that lambo doors make a z look better, thats your perogative..

Last edited by makim; 11-23-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:36 PM
onosway

Go with the GT FACTORY kit. It's the only kit from what I've seen that actually goes vertical. The other ones from VDC, Decah... all stick out and can be flimsy.

The GT doors will fetch you about $2000 for everything but worth it, the build quality is amazing.

To each their own. Do what you like, after all, it is your car.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 PM
s3fddiZ

In my opinion, they are called lambo doors for a reason...they belong on a lambo. But I have heard alot of horror stories from people putting them on their Z's. I would only say do it if you are going for a show car. To each his own though. If you do put em on, post some pics.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Cannysage

about a year ago when I remember lambos are starting to be popular. back then quality was crap and the door scraped the crap out of the fenders, some you have to tighten every few month, most of then jiggled as it went up. nowadays, the quality's gotten better. I personally won't get one til, they have a 'shock' one that doesn't jiggle at all..
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 PM
2slow4me1990

dont listen to these guys. if you want them, get them. i personally dont like lambo doors, but its your car.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by lilchief
Also what are LSD doors?
It's a company that makes aftermarket vertical door kits, and has the reputation of selling the best kits money can buy...plenty of money, that is

I am all for vertical kits as long as the candidate car meets the following two requirements:

1) Is a thoroughbred sports car.
2) Has windows that recede directly into the roof.

Z meets both of those and is therefore, an ideal candidate in my book. A true vertical kit installed by a pro makes for an impactful presence wherever you go.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
lilchief

enough said, thanks. But again I guess I got the just of it thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by bmxox
damn all these threads turn into an argument, its ridiculous. hes just asking for difference in price/quality between kits and peoples experience with them. if he wanted everyones opinions maybe he would have said "whats everyone think of lambo doors" but he didnt now did he.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:29 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LilChief,

I will chime in after taking a couple of months myself to make a decision on the doors.

I have seen a number of show Z's with either the GT-Factory, LSD, and Vertical Door kits. The prices are about the same between the LSD and Vertical Door kits and a little bit more expensive for the GT-Factory kit. I myself chose the GT-Factory kit as I like the doors to go up as much as possible and figure these could just clear 90 degrees. BUT you give up the ability to open the doors outward any more then about 2-3 inches. The other kits allow you to open the door enough to get out without having to swing the door up.

I might suggest looking at some of the pictures and maybe hitting a few guys up that have them for thoughts or a ride if you have any near you. PM’s are good as some people tend to flame your posts for their opinions on this topic as you can see here.

I am looking forward to having mine installed in a few weeks and am willing to put the money into having it done right. The only thing I can really say is ‘you get what you pay for’. A set of new hinges for $500 are most likely going to cost you more to install as they will take more effort to put in correctly.

Good luck man. Hope this was on topic. Take your time, research and do what you feel is right.

Regards
Old 11-24-2005, 11:43 AM
ZlleH

Bugatti, Renault, etc. uses vertical doors, Do you think they call them lambo doors?

Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Saleen, etc. uses upper front hinge doors. I don't think people has arguments that one shouldn't use the technology because they didn't do it first.

I think the phrase "lambo doors" is like asking for a "klenix" when you shoudl really ask for a tissue.

Originally Posted by s3fddiZ
In my opinion, they are called lambo doors for a reason...they belong on a lambo. But I have heard alot of horror stories from people putting them on their Z's. I would only say do it if you are going for a show car. To each his own though. If you do put em on, post some pics.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:08 PM
thezedsled

Allt his bull$hit back and forth has got me thinking. Has anyone messed with gullwing doors? Granted, they are a silly idea but still. Why hasn't anyone tried to do something with the gullwing style doors?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gullwing would mean you need to weld your door to the roof, and cutting the roof. The hardest part will be welding it to the roof because of the lack of the top window guide. And when you cut the roof, it will most likely leak. If you are interested in going that route, you might as well just go T-Top.

On another note, here's a teaser for my car in the shop...

Old 11-26-2005, 09:40 AM
jy535

At this time i would like everybody to turn there attention to saint spinner...... If everyone would stop posting, and take a minute to absorb some of this retards useless comments. Keep in mind that this is a this big shot car designer, he knows proportions and the fine lines of our 350z's. Also, maybe your dickbags could read over the the first post, and realize it didn't ask for your opinions of if you thought it was nice or rice. Makim You dumb *****..... noone wanted your dumb as post, you didn't answer the questons..... im also sure that there are civics out there that look nicer then your z, and there are def ones that would sh*t on it to..... at this time i would also like to no who the hell you think you are......? besides being an inconsiderate *****? if you dont like civics go post it on honda-tech. Also, are you right the bi-laws on whats rice? thank you..... a lil justification......... i think you get what you pay for..... im also interested in lambo's only because my car was 31,000 and not 20,000. i happen to think it looks nice and im reasearching also...... im not going to go with the cheap ones off ebay.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 PM
808_FairladyZ

+1 these guys definately do not represent what this site should stand for and that is to educate and enlighten oneself and others who are in need. I don't get what these guys think they have to offer with their sarcastic responses and silly banter.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Saint_Spinner

Ok, here are the reasons why the lambo doors don't really belong on a 350z. Look at the cars that have them, and study their designs. They have them for a reason and when they put lambo doors/scissor doors on them.

Again, I don't think any of my posts have been "******** posts". I'm just trying to show my POV.

A murcielago is a very wide car. This alone warrants the need for vertical doors along with heritage. Another reason is "cut lines". Look at where the door hinges. Notice it's shape and cut lines. It has rounded line mimicking the wheel. This line tells us that the door is supposed to rotate around it (following motion of the wheel). A better example is the diablo. Look how pronounced the door hinge is!

Another designing factor is the greenhouse and "doorshape" alongside the size and angle of the DLOs (daylight openings....side windows). The murci's door is long and thin (very rectangular) while the 350z is squarish. The length of the door would mean that the radius taken up when the door opens, would be huge! (hard to get out off if your parked next to a car)

Also the front end of the door on a 350z vertical. Vertical implies that the door opens in a standard manner. You might argue that the koenigsegg has a vertical cut line too. But if you also look at the width of the door (from the top view) towards the back of the door, this car will also have a very wide door radius if opened.

These are the same arguments I used for the NSX. Even though the car is somewhat exotic looking, there are certain design elements that prevent it from looking good with scissor doors. The DLO's are too big, door is squarish and it has the vertical cut line up front.

The Enzo has "butterfly" doors because of the front fenders. The engine vents (openings on rear of fender) overlaps the hinge point (the outside edge of the fender is quite a bit further back than the hinge). If the door was to open in a standard manner, the door will only swing out a few inches before the door makes contact with the fender.

Again, just trying pass on what was taught during school. It wasn't mean to be a flame of anything. If my words came out harsh, then my apologies.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:00 AM
ZlleH

First Lamborghini that used vertical doors: http://www.lambocars.com/cou/lp5000.htm

"The bodystyling was executed by Marcello Gandini, its upward and forward swinging doors were inspired on the Carabo, which was based on an Alfa Romeo chassis, these doors together with a periscope rear view mirror mounted in a tunnel in the roof were only a few of the main attractions on the Countach."

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/s...h/history.html

"The origins of the Countach's styling can be found in a Bertone show car from as early as 1968. That was the Alfa Romeo-based Carabo. The most obvious similarity was the front-hinged doors, which opened vertically from one pivot. Another Carabo element continued into the new design was the very shallow windscreen angle, the windscreen forming a continuation of the bonnet line."

Below is the 1968 Alfa Romeo Carabo, Lamborghini vertical doors came in 1971 with their Countach prototype:

PS: and the Carabo didn't have those vertical doors for any width reasons either. The Carabo is 70.1 inches(350z is 71.5 inches). So maybe it shouldn't be called "lambo doors", but "Carabo doors" because Lamborghini "was inspired" by the 1968 Alfa Romeo Carabo not for width, but just for the hell of it. Just like what we want to do with our 350Z doors.

PSS: To the original poster, you might want to read this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....vertical+doors
It talks about LSD vertical doors.

Last edited by ZlleH; 11-28-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: lambo doors