Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Bodykit experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM
SandMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizmo1180

Mr. Kim put a $2,500 deposit down for the kit before I worked at Performance Motorsport. However, soon after I was hired I met Mr. Kim and tried to get to know him. I asked Nick what the cost was for the kit and he told me $2,500 with out hesitation I told James I would give him the kit at cost, no questions asked because he was a veteran and he crashed his car while working at Westbury Nissan. (I have the invoice from Bulletproof Auto Invoice # 3238 dated 5/19/05). This is the kit he wanted and even told me where to get it.

Wait a minute, I put down a $2700 (i got invoice # 1389, dated 05/18/05) deposit on the kit before Nick was working there. Vinny was there before I even ordered this kit. So is this Nick or Vinny?

Your profile bio says :
"Biography:
24yrs old, and working for Performance Motorsport"

Last edited by SandMan; 12-07-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
1G-350Z

James

The first thing you need to address is that exhaust issue... Get one that has the clearance you need... So that your hot exhaust pipe is not touching the urathane bumper. Take your car to the bodyshop that did the work. Make a list of things you need taken care of, and ask them nicely if they can take care of it... However most body shops will tell you colors like Silver Stone is very hard to match... You should see Adams car from z1auto

I'm in a profession where I offer a service... If a client came to me nicely and asked me to fix something. I will do anything and everthing I can to fix the situation. Some of the responses on this thread were out of line... And in the real world people don't respond well to angry people... I understand that this Z is your baby... But it is just a car and it can be fixed... I've recently gone through the same thing, It was a little fustrating, however I'm through it... PS I would love to see the car I work in Syosset, LI... PM me.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Tantrum Z33

First of all, $2500 to paint a authentic kit is outrageous! I would definately get my money back from these guys and take my business somewhere else if I were in your shoes. I reside in the Queens area and know a couple of good body shops that charge a resonable price for superb work. My brother just got his replica body kit body painted for $1400 which included about 25-30 hours of prep to get the pieces fitting close to OEM as possible. They did wonders by getting the front bumper to meet the fenders because they were 1/2 short on each side, molded the sideskirts on the inside because there were some gaps present. Paint match was dead on too! If your interested, you can come by and take a look at the quality of work that was done. I'm in no way affiliated with the body shop, just a very satisfied customer. With the quality of the authentic Ings+1 kit, my body shop would most likely only charge $900 to paint the whole kit. PM me for more info if you are interested.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
ZRAYGO

$2500 is the going rate out here in Cali (thats to color match the kit to the car) it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. thats no ta bad deal at all.....unless the ***** it up as they did....
Old 12-08-2005, 06:46 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I have known the Rubios from Performance Motorsports since July of 2003, and I have had lots of work being done at the shop. In fact I presently have my Zee at the shop for a complete engine rebuilt, and repainting job in the works.

So far I have never had an issue that was left unresolved; no one shop is perfect, and certainly I’ve had my share of disappointments and yes, dissatisfactions, as well. It is difficult to find perfection when one has the tendency to be hopelessly unrealistic and personifies a package where Murphy ’s Law prevails; too many pieces to many variables; with too many weak links.

My point is that even Performance Motorsports was not able to get everything done 100% the way I wanted for the love of my life, but then again who can. The main point is that they’ve never let me down, left me hanging without options; always worked things out to smoothen out the rough edges.

Do they know what they’re doing, absolutely; are they customer focused, absolutely; are they perfect, not at all; but it is difficult to believe that they totally screwed anyone the way that’s been described by some on this thread.

Not to belittle someone else’s hurt, but the reality is that this sport is filled with heartbreaks; but one thing is certain, whatever the problem may be, it can be fixed; and actually made better.

There are always 2 sides to a story, and considering that a prior relationship existed between sandman and performance motorsports, the picture takes on a cloudy tint, no more black and white.

From the numerous encounters that I’ve had with mod shops, from way up north to down south, I find the Rubios totally unpretentious, sincerely motivated to make the VQ better, and with Vinny Ten on the team, we can look forward to a wonderful adventure with our Mighty VQs ahead of us.

A happy camper, with a crippled engine; it was nobody's fault but mine. Owner of a Nismo body kit that was trampled by gorillas in transit (just like the samsonite ad) from Japan; trying to get that fixed. I must be nuts.

I sincerely hope that you will resolve your Z problems satisfactorily, Kim; but this route that you have started with will not get you closer to your objectives. There is still time to change your direction to get things worked out with your Z.

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 12-08-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:03 AM
SandMan

If you would like to see the car with your own eyes, I have no problem to take the time to meet up with you. I know no one is perfect, but why were all these things happening?

I was supposed to pay for exhaust modification, yet I got it installed exactly the way it was originally, then the paint fell apart. I was waiting once again for the exhaust to be modified, they try to put on a heatshield that backfires. Not only that, but why would they put a heatshield on without asking me first? What would they do if I didn't want a heatshield? I was willing to pay for the exhaust to be modified.

I had a good experience with them before (I was a customer before it opened to the public), I just don't know where it all fell apart. I did my research and INGS +1 is supposed to be one of the best kits out there. The fit should be a 10 out of 10, not a 7/8 out of ten.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM
barthelb
Master

For instance look at this picture you can't even see the lines where it bolts up. Its sooo clean. J/k that picture is way to small for anyone to see anything.

Originally Posted by ZRAYGO
YES IT IS.....

FOR INSTANCE....
Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Beer Goggles

I've never heard of a body kit that is 10/10 for fitment, they all need to be "fitted" to the car and if you crashed and had body damage previously I would tend to think that would make things more difficult.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
SandMan

I hate bodywork, it is tough to do for someone who hasn't done it before. That is why I took it to performance autobody. I mean it has been around for 40 years I am told. Does this work look up to par for some place that has been open 40 years? It literaly looks like a kit took a paintbrush and slathered it on. But the work I was told was done by their best. The best what? I paid a good amount to get this work done right. To my eyes, it fails to show me any effort was put into putting this kit on.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to 3 different shope to get my mix-matched body kit painted.
- Side skirts were done at shine street. I was very disappointed at the quality of the paint job itself, and the color matching. I didn't expect perfection, but it about 2 shades lighter 6/10
- wing was done at mob works fitment was color was perfect 10/10, quality of the paint was above average
- front bumper $1k and the fitment was about 8/10 m1 autobody did a 10/10 of the quality of the paint and color matching
- m1 again.. rear - 10/10 fitment, absolutely perfect - the color matching was 8.5/10
but the quality was better than the factory paint job.. it had much more shine to it.. but a chunk of paint came off later

so yeah.. you can achieve perfection, but it's hard to come by.. my perfect paint job of the front is filled with rock chips now, like how my oem was.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:23 PM
zul8r

My car is currently at Performance. So far they have been very pleasent. Yes they were very busy w/ racing for the past few months but as soon as the season was over they contacted me. I would definately reccomend them. Don't know anything about the body shop though. They also did a great job on Rob's car. Rob you owe me a ride!! haha sorry I can't wait till mines done I need a ride now...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
JDMFairlady21

yea rob you gotta give me a ride too!!! hehe cant wait till the next meet, whenever that is.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
1G-350Z

LOL LOL...... The both of you are welcome to go for a ride any time.... I work in Syosset. It's pretty quick for a single turbo. I just met James Kim, real nice guy... I hope he takes my advise. I'm sure things will work out for him...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
ColdFusion

I say just dont deal with bodykits period unless you are ready to spend alot of money. I went through a similar experience in the past and it was just a big headache. Also, if the shop isnt experienced with fiberglass, then it will not come out perfectly. For fiberglass kits, extensive prepping needs to be done to get it perfect and lump free. With that said, sorry about your experience. I know exactly how you feel.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM
JDMFairlady21

hey ron, i will be calling you soon!!! hehe maybe on a nice day! are you even going to store your ride for the winter? seems like you're not LoL... btw- which kit did you put on?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by JDMFairlady21
hey ron, i will be calling you soon!!! hehe maybe on a nice day! are you even going to store your ride for the winter? seems like you're not LoL... btw- which kit did you put on?
It's hard.... To put it away... I have a lot of things planned for the winter. So it will be in and out, plus it's hard not drive it! The kit is TN...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 PM
JDMFairlady21

oh great! just keep on makin us look like stock! j/k
Old 05-22-2006, 08:00 AM
DDS_RACER

I just read your story. That sucks man. I had a f--ked up experience w/WHEELMAX (re: DON'T BUY THERE!!!) where i even went so far as to hire a "consumer lawyer."
I hate getting f--ked in the anus and it makes me even more angry when my fellow Z bro's get it in the *** too. If your within driving distance, SUE the **** out of them. Just make sure you bring all your documents and pics to court, which it sounds by your story that you are pretty organized. good luck with that man.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 PM
KelekonaKustoms

a friend of mine got his whole car redone by a local bodyshop. they had the car for 5 months and turned over the sh*ttiest thing ive ever seen. it was supposed to be a top-noth job. it was a sponsored show car, the job was so bad he almost lost his sponsors. long story short, he took them to small claims and got all his money back.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:56 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by SandMan
If you would like to see the car with your own eyes, I have no problem to take the time to meet up with you. I know no one is perfect, but why were all these things happening?

I was supposed to pay for exhaust modification, yet I got it installed exactly the way it was originally, then the paint fell apart. I was waiting once again for the exhaust to be modified, they try to put on a heatshield that backfires. Not only that, but why would they put a heatshield on without asking me first? What would they do if I didn't want a heatshield? I was willing to pay for the exhaust to be modified.

I had a good experience with them before (I was a customer before it opened to the public), I just don't know where it all fell apart. I did my research and INGS +1 is supposed to be one of the best kits out there. The fit should be a 10 out of 10, not a 7/8 out of ten.
10/10 if your car hasn't been wrecked.

Quick Reply: Horrible Bodykit experience