Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Extender: Extend steering wheel .25" - 6" Custom Concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
kbiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Extender: Extend steering wheel .25" - 6" Custom Concept

I've been thinking about this idea for a while. I can make the spline parts to make an extender much like the kind that are found in handicapped upgraded cars… and I think it would be best to also mount the gauge cluster, etc. closer along with the steering wheel. I’m 6’4” and in order to get my legs in the proper position, my arms are overly extended and I cannot drape my hand over the top of the wheel and keep my elbows relaxed… which is supposed to be one of the tests of proper seating. I know this topic has been discussed a bit a few years ago, but no one actually talked about making an extender for the steering column. The main thing is that I don’t want an aftermarket steering wheel because I want to maintain the air bag. Also I know the Z has a seat position sensor so if I were to make this extender, I’m thinking that if the extender were say 4” then maybe I could simply relocate the seat position sensor 4” back. Just wondering what other folks, probably all the taller Zers, thought about this idea and if anyone knows a few things about the safety system on the Z. I’m sure there are some folks who think this sounds dangerous being that it messes with the safety system… but I really wish I could get better fitment… plus having the seat closer is very unsafe being that my knees are close to the dash which is a huge no-no… very common route to permanent disability is blowing out your knees and hips in a collision from sitting with knees close to the dash. Anyone else think this would be super cool?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Oleg

I am 6'2" and intrested in that. How much will it run?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
kbiz

No idea... still working on the dimensions for brackets.