Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:52 PM
IluvIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default half the size??

dang!! half the size! I see a bunch of black pieces on the 3 gauge pod that are about half the size of the PLCC but that's about it. Could you post a link to a picture of the resistors?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This pic is from the gauge cluster, not the pod.

It's the thing above the led that says 681. That's the current resistor value in Ohms.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:05 PM
IluvIt

Default these

These are from the 3 pod cluster. I'm assuming this is what you're talking about as well.
Attached Thumbnails BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2534.jpg  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Acree

Yup, those are the resistors. Do you have a multimeter? If you do, plug the board back into the car, turn the key and test the voltage at these 2 points. Tell me what the voltage is and tell me the specs of the leds you are using and I can tell you exactly what resistor you need for it.

PS. Next time, try not to hold the iron on the board or the led for so long.
Attached Thumbnails BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2534.jpg  
Old 01-07-2006, 02:24 PM
IluvIt

Default ok...

Sorry to disappoint but after chatting with Acree about this whole setup I've decided to scrap what I'm doing and start over. I'll post one last pic of what i have but Acree has found brighter LEDs than I have as well as the fact that it is quite time consuming and I'd rather it be pumped about it the first time than having to go back and redo it because it could be better. Anyways, check back later tonight for pics!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:22 PM
IluvIt

I lied. no pictures. Not in the mood today and going out of town tomorrow. But, I've been chatting with Acree and he's been helping me quit a bit. So much so that we're going to be using the same parts. Anyways, the setup I have now just isn't bright enough and the digital cluster looks almost turquoise at it's brightest setting! On top of all that I'm working with www.blackcatcustoms.com on some custom gauges. So, instead of putting the LEDs in and then having to redo the whole thing when I get my new gauge faces I've decided to just put the whole project on hold. I should have it done by the end of January as due to waiting for the gauge faces to be designed and printed. Will post pics to this thread when I'm completed!

Tom
Old 01-08-2006, 05:37 PM
IluvIt

Default Some pictures

Tonight I took some pictures of the the AC unit before I take it apart and redo it. It looks decent now but I expect that it will look at lot better when I throw in the new brighter LEDs as well as put in proper resistors.

I personally think that I should change the outer ***** so that they light up red and have the center of the know blue (as it is now) and then have the buttons/square lights be red as well. I plan on keeping the needles red on the dash and 3 pod gauge so I think it would look sweet if I made it somewhat similar to the rest of the gauges. I think there's toooooo much blue going on and it needs something. The LEDs that light up the outer dial though are a PITA to change so I may just end up changing the square lights.

Do any of you guys have any comments? Any input would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2538.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2541.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2542.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2543.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
mahont

Looks sweet! Keep it up
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Sponge

I would used some red in the ac controls to offset the needles. Just make sure it doesn't outshine the blue in intensity, might be distracting.

Can't wait to see the re-do!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
sambo

nice job! are you removing the original orange LEDs from the circut board?

i think it would look nice if just the digital speed/temp/fuel gauge was blue, as to how it would stand out.

looks good, keeps us posted.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Looks much better!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats hot. Any plans to try the gauge cluster above?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:04 PM
IluvIt

Default thanks

Yeah, the main guage cluster is going ot be the final project. You'll notice in one of the pics above that you can't see the 3 pod on the dash. It's because it's not in the car right now. I'm in the process of switching those out to blue now. I've been back and forth with Acree (who knows everything about LEDs) and I'm pretty much going by what he's been telling me. We ordered the same LEDs but we're going to switch out the resistors as well to get maximum brightness from the blue LEDs. I have to wait for him on that cuz I don't know jack about calculating those values. Eventually, there will be no orange other than warning signals. I think it'll look nice once it's done. Unfortunately I just started a business trip so it'll be another couple weeks before I get back to my car and have a chance to work on it again.

Thanks for the comments! I'll keep 'em coming as soon as i can.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:15 AM
IluvIt

Default About Dang Time!!!

Well ladies and gentleman! I finally got the whole project finished. It took me 2 months with a 3 week trip to Albany, NY and a 4 week trip to Singapore in between. Anyways, I didn't have my car with me at either of those places so that's whats been holding me up. I was also waiting for some custom gauges from Blackcat Customs which I finally received in the middle of this week. Anyways, there's really nothing special to this other than my hot new non stock looking gauges! As stated in earlier replies, I got a lot of help from Acree and thank him immensely for making this happen. I've wanted to do this the day I bought the car. Oh well...check out the pics below and tell me what you think! I LOVE IT and think it is sooo hot looking!

For reference i used this partial guide here https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/166631-blue-led-interior-conversion-finished.html as well as here. https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/107912-anyone-ever-wondered-what-our-gauge-pod-looks-like-inside-no-56k.html Both of these were extremely helpful! Feel free to ask questions if you'd like!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2600.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2601.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2602.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2603.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2604.jpg  

Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 AM
IluvIt

Default more pics

Some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2607.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2608.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2609.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2610.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2611.jpg  

Old 03-12-2006, 12:19 AM
IluvIt

Default last ones

last ones

The orange ones are just to give you an idea of what it used to look like. The new ones are based of the Mustangs radial design. I think it looks sexy. I will provide day pics tomorrow. Currently it's a black background with silver numbering.
Attached Thumbnails BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2612.jpg   BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE-imgp2613.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 04:45 AM
IceBurnzTT

Very nice
Old 03-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Acree

Looks good man! I like the old style numbers. I'm glad you finally got to finish this project up. Looks like the wait was worth while.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Act of God

that's amazing looking, and I am very very jealous
Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Acree

Originally Posted by Act of God
that's amazing looking, and I am very very jealous

::EDIT:: I totally mixed this thread up with mine. Sorry dude.

-Acree

Last edited by Acree; 03-13-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: BLUE LEDs ON DIGITAL GUAGE