Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's it, I'm getting a Clear Bra!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Sk8fe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When someone in 1971 bought a HEMI 'Cuda for around $5000, were they buying it as an investment? Did they ever dream that if they maintained it well and kept it nice that it would be worth 6-digits to someone at Barrett-Jackson thirty years later? Probably not. They bought it for its performance, because they liked its styling and to kick a** at the drags and on the street!

Makes you wonder what cars today (that don't already cost 6-digits) will be worth 6-digits (or more) to someone 30 years from now...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:01 AM
rolling

Originally Posted by mjmaltese
An automobile is absolutely an investment, albeit a bad one. Therefore, it's in your best interest to keep it in as good condition both mechanically and cosmetically to help minimize your inevitable financial loss. Further, a decent car is more than just a monetary investment. Think of the time and energy you put into one (at least one you care about) over your term of ownership.
this part is really intresting to me...
How is this an investment exactly?? i thought a real investment becomes worth More over time, not less. money you put into it you will not get back, just using it as designed looses money..

the only way i can see it as an investment is buying, driving straight to climate controlled place and only driving/ showing it minimally, and only with a semi-rare car to start with.

Now i completely agree with you for beiing an emotional investment as you say.... time/ enery and memories you make with the car.
to minimalize the LOSS financially. i definatly care about my car as well heh

anyway what did you mean by "investment" that is all im questioning ..
Old 02-02-2006, 06:05 AM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

Joey:

Thanks for the link. I had previously found that but it wasn't immediately clear if those were 3M dealers.

You're a twit. I realize it's not some high-end car, but it is an investment nonetheless. That and the fact that I've only had it for a week.
You shouldn't call me names. A car is going to get dinged up. That is why manufacturers do not warranty paint.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 AM
mjmaltese

Originally Posted by UBERMENSCH
You shouldn't call me names. A car is going to get dinged up. That is why manufacturers do not warranty paint.
Welcome to the Internet. Buck up, douchebag.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 AM
highside107

I think you guys above ^^^ are talking about different kinds of investments. No, the Z or any car is not a financial investment, but I can see it being an emotional one.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alex12
Can they make clearbras for the Nismo front bumper?
I have seen shops that will do cutom work over any part of any car. Wow I love how these posts change into "investment" debates
Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

after all the posts, rants, recommendations.. I have never seen a pic of a Z with a clear-bra installed. I kind of changed my mind about the clear bra.. because I think I can deal with some nicks and sratches.

/me putting on flame suit.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
ZPatrick

Was just out lookiing at my car and noticed a nice rock chip on the hood and windshield of my week-old MB Z. God damn it, you just can't have nice things, can you?

Can anyone recommend an installer in the LA/IE area? Also, what has everyone been paying for the full bumper/hood/mirror set?
+1
Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
rolling

after you have the clear bra installed for awhile, and you have scratches and nicks. if you ever want to remove it your gonna have one helluva nightmare on yer hands, imagine all that loue and sticky residue! like a decal but 100x as bad and strong too.. no thanks for the price of clear bra, i can get a nice extra thick repaint!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:26 AM
midlifecrises

questions from a newbie:

I just picked up my new Z and the dealer started in on this whole song and dance for extended warranties, service agreements, 3M protectant and the like. The only one that I even was slightly interested in was the 3M product (I was really miffed that they bombarded me at closing instead of telling me about this ahead of time so I could have conducted my research first). It sounds from the tenor on this thread that most of you would have opted for it had you had the chance, but only a couple talked about what it actually looks like. Have you any photos of the car with this clear bra to share?

What about the other type of bra, the removable one? How does that work and is it worth it? Are there any waxing products that have a protective effect that can help with the inevitable stone chips?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 AM
cal_z

one: there would be no reason to take photos because you can't really see it.
two: The paint on the nissan is very thin. The rocks and sand from the roads will take the paint right off. I put mine on over three years ago and it still looks good. There are some places where rocks have hit the bra and ripped the protection but never made it to the paint. And it is cheeper to replace the part that is torn than to have the hood or entire bumper painted.
It's definately a money saver.
three: Unlike the leather bra. you never have to take it off rain or shine. you don't lose the look of the car.

Last edited by cal_z; 02-27-2006 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:11 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by rolling
after you have the clear bra installed for awhile, and you have scratches and nicks. if you ever want to remove it your gonna have one helluva nightmare on yer hands, imagine all that loue and sticky residue! like a decal but 100x as bad and strong too.. no thanks for the price of clear bra, i can get a nice extra thick repaint!

Is this really a point? I would think that any adhesive used would be manageble (read - reasonably removable). Does anyone have experience with the removal of the Clearbra? Also, if you get a new car, how long do you have to wait, (if at all), to put on the bra so that the paint is fully cured?

BTW - not to clown but couldn't figure out 'loue' - you mean gooey?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kewlii
I have a 2005 SB with 12k miles with no chip on the front bumper. I bought it brand new, and till this day, no chip whatsoever. I have seen a lot of ppl getting rock chips. i guess it's the driving style, i usually don't drive too closely to the car infront of me.
do you take your car out of the driveway?

to those that think chips are no big deal...you obviously don't care much about your z do you?

i am having my front bumber repainted (airwalker) and lucky for me the bodyshop is going to hold it till i can clear bra it (45 days). i am using my stock during the cure time...but i am worried about my hood. i wanted to do both so now i have to take my chances not getting a chip...damn...maybe i should just go cf...if i get a chip i will

i did some searching to...i heard that its not bad to remove....is this true?

you can only paint your bumper a couple of times before your sol....so good luck with that theory...thats what the bodyshop guy told me and they do top quality work

also, to those lucky enough to read this thread before buying your z...getter done kids

rw...out

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-01-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Premier

If it's installed onto factory paint, then the paint should not come up. It's usually when a car's being repainted and the shop didn't do great prep-work, then the paint is fairly easy to pull up........not to mention get rock chips. For more information about paint protection film, please feel free and visit us at www.premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlii
I have a 2005 SB with 12k miles with no chip on the front bumper. I bought it brand new, and till this day, no chip whatsoever. I have seen a lot of ppl getting rock chips. i guess it's the driving style, i usually don't drive too closely to the car infront of me.
+1 mines a 04 PPW, I have zero chips on the bumper. I detail my car once a week and I'm pretty ****. I make it point not to follow behind large vehicles at all and make sure Im a good distance behind smaller vehicles. On top of not getting chips, its much safer to drive this way.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:30 PM
stein

I thougth about getting the clear bra when I got my z last month but have since changed my mind. My reasoning was I am only on the highway < 5% of the time and put < 500 miles/month on her. My last car which I had 2 years had some rocks chips on it but not bad, a few on the hood and lower bumper area. When it gets to the point I don't like I will get it re-painted.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:47 AM
nothingremains

how can I find out where does the clear bra around me and how much is it out the door usually?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Road Warrior

i got a quote for 400...partial hood and front bumper.

my front bumper is not stock so should be less...depends on how much you want to clear bra

i recommend the hood and front bumper...thats where all of my chipping has occured. i have a small chip on the roof too but not enough for me to do..my mirrors don't have any chips

i have less than 10k on my car and only drive to and from work...mostly on city streets and i don't follow trucks either. i am very meticulous about my car too and hardly any freeway driving. my car is lowered so maybe i am more prone to chipping...but you guys with no chips are lucky. for me, i think it will be worth it because it didn't take long for my bumper to look like crap after a fresh paint job. not going to have to worry about that again with the clear bra and cheaper than having to repaint every couple of years
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 AM
jenna350z

The one of the greatest things invented I have one on both of my Z's and I love it keeps it clean looking and also chip free. Another plus is that it makes it easy to clean the bug juice off your car.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
milanista

Hey mjmaltese, you just bought a Z, probably just joined this forum, and you're already calling people names and display an all-around deplorable attitude to say the least (not to mention the blasphemy in your initial post). You're a disgrace.

Not a good start....

A car is not an investment, and unless you keep it under wraps in the garage and take it out sparingly only to look at it (and drool and cream your shorts over it) and don't drive it, will get blemished. The first one is always the hardest to get over...

Quick Reply: That's it, I'm getting a Clear Bra!