Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's it, I'm getting a Clear Bra!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milanista
The first one is always the hardest to get over...
+1 on that
Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
herbrock17

I got a little parking lot stray shopping cart bump or whatever on my 2004 Daytona Blue 350Z 6MT. I've had a clear bra on it since I picked the car up at the dealer. When I got into an accident and the insurance is paying to replace it, fine.....but when you have a little ding like this and they have to repair the front bumper and fender, the adhesive of the clear bra has to come off and a new one needs to be applied. Cost is about $500 added onto the estimate. I was thinking of getting the front bumper repaired and not putting the clear bra back on to save on cost.....the hood, headlights, and mirrors are still covered though.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:49 PM
milanista

If I could do it over again, I would get a clear bra installed even before leaving the dealer's lot. In my case, I picked up the car about 40 busy freeway miles from my house, so by the time I got home, there were already a couple of light marks on the paint, the biggest one on the right front windshield pillar, which the clear bra would not have protected against. Now I just use touch-up paint on the bigger ones. Once you get the hang of it, one can do a pretty decent job hiding them. You can also use Langka Blob Eliminator for even better results.
http://www.langka.com/the-blob-eliminator-p-31.html
Old 03-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by highside107
I think you guys above ^^^ are talking about different kinds of investments. No, the Z or any car is not a financial investment, but I can see it being an emotional one.
Ah .... If you want to consider the 350Z an investment you can in my book. It's just a bad investment.

Now, if you are talking about getting the highest resale valve .... I'm with you on that. The better your car looks at the time of resale the more money you'll get for it generally.

Even stocks can be a bad investment but they have a lot better chance of returning a high yield than a 350Z has. Lol .....

The chip that hurt be the most was the one that got tossed across a lane into my door. I just can't get that one to touch up so that I am happy. No one else knows about it except me. I zoom into it everytime I walk up to the car. People just shake their heads and go your crazy. Where is it again????

I'm glad I had a Colgan bra ($89) on my car this last weekend. Frankly, I still can't justify $600 when it only cost $300 to repaint a bumper. If I'd had a clear bra on there I'd be replacing it for a tune of $600. Making a total of $1200 I would have had to spend to keep my car looking good. I am glad I bought the Colgan. It give a little padding from those guys that park too close. I don't think it looks too bad. I use it when I go to the city or on a long ride where I know the Semi's Run.

It only takes 30 seconds to take it off and 60 secs to reinstall it. Just about the same time it takes to put a car cover on. This is with 15K miles and 2 1/2 years of use. Bra only goes on during high stress times.
That's 30% of the time.

OK, now with this picture you guys know I care about how my car looks.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-02-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:54 PM
milanista

Originally Posted by mecinoid

BTW - I'm glad I had a Colgan bra ($89) on my car this last weekend. Frankly, I still can't justify $600 when it only cost $300 to repaint a bumper. If I'd had a clear bra on there I'd be replacing it for a tune of $600. Making a total of $1200 I would have had to spend to keep my car looking good. I am glad I bought the Colgan. It give a little padding from those guys that park too close. I don't think it looks too bad. I use it when I go to the city or on a long ride where I know the Semi's Run.

mecinoid, I have a Colgan bra as well. Where do you clip on the ties that hold the hood piece in place? When I tried putting that piece on, I couldn't close the hood. Is there a trick to it? Please advise...Thanks...
Old 03-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Z_Driver
Master

mecinoid, I have a Colgan bra as well. Where do you clip on the ties that hold the hood piece in place? When I tried putting that piece on, I couldn't close the hood. Is there a trick to it? Please advise...Thanks...
Here:

You might have to adjust the hood latch a bit. Once it is adjusted with the right gap etc.... You drop the hood from 18" to latch. Nothing to it.

If you need me to adjust the hood, bring it over. I do it for a lunch. Then we can take a short ride in the hills nearby if you like. Livermore, Ca. PM me.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
milanista

Here:

You might have to adjust the hood latch a bit. Once it is adjusted with the right gap etc.... You drop the hood from 18" to latch. Nothing to it.

If you need me to adjust the hood, bring it over. I do it for a lunch. Then we can take a short ride in the hills nearby if you like. Livermore, Ca. PM me.
Thanks, mecinoid. That's the holes I was using to fasten the two straps. I'll try it again, and will adjust the hood latch if needed. I'll have to take you up on the ride (race) in the hills...
Old 03-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Anytime milanista - Just PM and I'll give you directions etc...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Black_Sunshine

Hey mjmaltese, you just bought a Z, probably just joined this forum, and you're already calling people names and display an all-around deplorable attitude to say the least (not to mention the blasphemy in your initial post). You're a disgrace.

Not a good start....
Ok, I'm the OP here. I chose that name real quick just to get going here. Having said that, yes, I called someone a name. So what. The world is a rough place, get over it. I'm guessing your mother taught you to pee sitting down.

Further, there was no blasphemy as I'm atheist. It's just an expression to me.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Road Warrior

I'm glad I had a Colgan bra ($89) on my car this last weekend. Frankly, I still can't justify $600 when it only cost $300 to repaint a bumper. If I'd had a clear bra on there I'd be replacing it for a tune of $600. Making a total of $1200 I would have had to spend to keep my car looking good. I am glad I bought the Colgan. It give a little padding from those guys that park too close. I don't think it looks too bad. I use it when I go to the city or on a long ride where I know the Semi's Run.
[
i really don't car for that style...to me it takes away from the car...but to each his own. wouldn't work for me anyway since i have aftermarket front.

i'd rather throw down 3-4 and have the clear bra and the car looks better imo than the leather.

i wonder if insurance would cover the cost of clear bra after installation if you needed to replace from accident?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i really don't car for that style...to me it takes away from the car...but to each his own. wouldn't work for me anyway since i have aftermarket front.

i'd rather throw down 3-4 and have the clear bra and the car looks better imo than the leather.

i wonder if insurance would cover the cost of clear bra after installation if you needed to replace from accident?
The nice thing about the bra is you can take it off for shows and around town etc... Like I mentioned before mine is only on 30% of the time and in high risk situations. I really don't car what other think as I am driving down the road. My wife actually likes it better with the Colgan bra on. She always reminds me to put the bra on before long trips to the folks house etc....
Here is a picture of what she looked like yesterday:

Earlier in the week:

Leather is too sticky for me, I don't care for leather if I can get the car without. Plus you slide around on it if your seat isn't form fitting. So, like you said to each his own.

Insurance as listed above should cover it if you get in an accident. I am just trying to point out the fact that you have more protection with the Colgan bra than clear bra so you might not have to fork over a $500 or $1000 deductable to get the clear bra fixed. I was so please when I saw that there wasn't any damage. I thought for sure I was gonna have to pay $300 to fix and repaint the bumper. However, you can do that twice for the price of a clear bra. Don't forget, you might actually get lucky and never have to worry about repainting the bumper because of someone bumping into it. Then with the Colgan you'll have $500 more for mods.

Most people have at least $500 ded as it doesn't make much since to report anything below that to your insurance company for Collision. So, for most people, if some idiot hits your clear bra and messes it up; it's gonna cost you $500 or more to get that peice replaced. That if they only mess up the clear bra.

I wonder if they charge a take off charge if you ever have to take off and replace the clear bra because of damage?

I am just pointing out there are other options for those of us that don't want to pay $600 for a clear bra. $89<$600

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-03-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Road Warrior

i hear you mecinoid...actually the bra on your car is a really nice fit...i just have experience with them in the past and don't care for them

price is always a factor in making these kind of decisions so your point is well taken

ive got a 250 ded...and i am gonna check out if my insurance will cover cost of removal if i ever have to because of an accident...if they do its a no brainer for me. if not, i am still gonna do it because you need some kinda protection on there to keep the car looking nice
Old 03-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Z_Driver
Master

i hear you mecinoid...actually the bra on your car is a really nice fit...i just have experience with them in the past and don't care for them

price is always a factor in making these kind of decisions so your point is well taken

ive got a 250 ded...and i am gonna check out if my insurance will cover cost of removal if i ever have to because of an accident...if they do its a no brainer for me. if not, i am still gonna do it because you need some kinda protection on there to keep the car looking nice
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I had a bra for my '84 & '86 300ZXT's It looked awful. I never used it.
That was the factory Nissan bra. Not good, not good at all!

However, the one from Colgan fits tight, doesn't slap, and look pretty good as far car bras go.

My appologies to the original poster for taking us off the topic a bit. Now back to clear bras -

I don't have anything against clear bra. I think it is a great idea. I mean why do we have to cover up the front end of our beautiful car. The clear bra comes the closest to perfection of that ideal. However, my wife didn't like the line it leaves across the hood. The first time she saw one on a Z she saw thought it had a scratch across the hood and fender. She was like.....Ah look at what someone did to that nice car. I hear for an extra cost they can bevel that edge so that it almost disappears. However, I have yet to see anyone do it. Or, it doesn't really work.

Your insurance should cover it after you $250 ded. You might want to get your comp down to $50. Then when a shopping cart hits your baby you can get it taken car of for a $50 ded.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-03-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Road Warrior

just another fyi for those freaking out on the removal costs

i just called a custom rod shop, been in business of clear bras for about 4 years now and he said 20-50 to remove if you needed to. also, he said 3m is absolutely the best and not to go with anything else.

i can get him to come out to the house so that should work out great...get the bumper back from body shop, install, and have clear bra put on without having to drive down there and risk chipping on the way.

i will post pics when i have the clear bra done....should be in another month or so before it cures out. as far as the hood goes i'm gonna have to chance it until i do my fender...if it chips then i will just do the bumper
Old 03-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Z_Driver
Master

just another fyi for those freaking out on the removal costs

i just called a custom rod shop, been in business of clear bras for about 4 years now and he said 20-50 to remove if you needed to. also, he said 3m is absolutely the best and not to go with anything else.

i can get him to come out to the house so that should work out great...get the bumper back from body shop, install, and have clear bra put on without having to drive down there and risk chipping on the way.

i will post pics when i have the clear bra done....should be in another month or so before it cures out. as far as the hood goes i'm gonna have to chance it until i do my fender...if it chips then i will just do the bumper
Sounds great even $50 is a deal!