Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is under-car neon too ricey?!??
Super Duper Ricey and then some
61.40%
Very Ricey
12.80%
Pretty Ricey
5.80%
Might be OK in some cases
20.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

Under car neon - ricey?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 01:24 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting in neon tail-lights.... cuz that's all anyone sees when I blast past 'em!

[just kidding about the neon, btw... if you put neon on a Z you should be pistol-whipped]
Old 05-09-2003, 02:37 PM
300ZX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RoadRagerInTherapy
[just kidding about the neon, btw... if you put neon on a Z you should be pistol-whipped]
a friend of mine put these in a bit ago. i tried to talk him out of it, but he's so thick headed, he doesnt listen to anything i say. he wanted "orange" to match his orange seats and guages whatever ("omg everything has to be orange to match my silver car with orange seats"). what little light that you actually can see looks red anyway. he didnt even install them himself and the tubes and install cost him something like 300$ huge waste.
Attached Thumbnails Under car neon - ricey?-wag5.jpg  
Old 05-09-2003, 05:41 PM
spacemanspiff

Hmmm...I like the look of neon...when looking at other cars...but wouldn't put on my own.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:47 AM
chaz

Default Re: Fear not, no neon will be added

Originally posted by AndyB
... and a horn that plays "cucaracha"?
let me know if you can find that horn, I've gotsta have that in my car
Old 05-26-2003, 01:40 PM
krinkov

Default Re: Re: Fear not, no neon will be added

Originally posted by chaz
let me know if you can find that horn, I've gotsta have that in my car
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoit...130167&BQ=jcw2
Old 06-15-2003, 08:49 PM
permit1234
Banned

i would pay $100 dollars to see a z with 13" wheels and a horn that played ****-roach-a-racha. actuially im going to buy hat horn and put it on my acura with neons out the ying-yang to start a new trend. whose jumping on the bandwagon
Old 06-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Neon is good for shows, such as Hot Import Nights, they like it and grade you on how much neon you have.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:27 PM
travelmadness

Default www.iloverice.com

one website -- www.iloverice.com says it all
Old 06-19-2003, 08:01 AM
chaknchngo

My opinion...
I think it's funny how people call this neon glow ricey. In truth the 13" rims and the neons were mostly done by Mexicans. They were put in the movies (Fast and the Furious) because the director wanted to enchance the appearance of the cars, and guess what? The director is white. Most of the cars originally didn't have them in there. The other thing that I don't understand, is how people complain about a car looking too ricey? First of all 350z, made by riceys. Second, all the nice cars that everyone drOOled over in the first Fast and the Furious; yup all owned by riceys. So all in all, people should do some more research about what nationality started doing crap like this before even start catagorizing it into a ricey thing. If it's just too ricey for you then go sell your Z and stick to the ALL AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:30 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by chaknchngo
My opinion...
I think it's funny how people call this neon glow ricey. In truth the 13" rims and the neons were mostly done by Mexicans.
For one, there's no reason to over-use words as a stereotype.. and the way you use it, is degrading to other cultures. Calling asians in particular "riceys" is the equivelent of calling Mexicans "beaners," I just dont find that as a polite comment.

Typically, the word "rice" is to describe a car made in either Japan or Korea, which has been poorly/tastelessly modified. The word "rice" can be used for any nationaltiy: black, white, mexican.. to me, it doesnt matter.. because I've seen people of ALL nationalities poorly fix up their asian-brand vehicles.

As for neon, like any lighting it has its purpose.. as long as it is used sparingly and with GOOD TASTE. Look at LED technology, APC has already bastardized the scene with wiper nozzles and exhaust tips that illuminate! Its poor taste like this which ruined the word "neon" and will eventually ruin the word "LED" -- thanks APC!

Now, take the highly exotic BMW Z8 or even the Lincoln Mark-VIII.. those two vehicles were some of the first to actually put NEON technology to good use.. and indeed, anyone who has seen these cars has probably been confused as to why those lights look so unique -- and so GOOD! The answer is: good taste on behalf of the engineers.

As for underbody neon lighting, I dont like it. Most of us here have street-cars, therefor having NEON lighting UNDER the car is absolutely pointless and attracts unncessary attention. See, this is how it works: lights attract attention. Not having lights, DOESNT attract attention. So, why attract attention to a street-car?

If your car is show, I can understand.. there's nothing like lighting up a highly polished engine bay or super-clean undercarriage. Me? I tend to respect the Japanese style of doing things: having a car that kicks ***, and using it like it was meant to be used -- on the road, getting road scuffs and rock chips, enjoying it till the end. Neon undercarriage is just pointless.

PS: For those of you wondering, undercarriage lighting IS acceptable in just about all states. You see, neon is subtle lighting.. its not a headlight or tail light, its used as "accent lighting" or illumination, therefor it is okay. One of my customers has a full-on show car and for some reason, gets his kicks out of driving around with his neon tubes lit. His car is expensive enough, I guess I can understand. He actually showed me the VC as he had it in his glove box. Obviously, he gets pulled over a lot and has that code handy. Personally, I dont care for the attention from people OR cops, so I could definately do without it.

Last edited by old_s13; 06-24-2003 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:55 AM
cincyspider

IMHO...it looks ghey!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:29 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by 300ZX
a friend of mine put these in a bit ago. i tried to talk him out of it, but he's so thick headed, he doesnt listen to anything i say. he wanted "orange" to match his orange seats and guages whatever ("omg everything has to be orange to match my silver car with orange seats"). what little light that you actually can see looks red anyway. he didnt even install them himself and the tubes and install cost him something like 300$ huge waste.
Just wait until he kicks the tube one day...

Old 06-25-2003, 01:37 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by krinkov
TOO FUNNY!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:53 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Default Ricer? Possibly... ready for take-off!

Old 07-01-2003, 08:46 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: Ricer? Possibly... ready for take-off!

Originally posted by bguy
Great sense of Humor... I'd say he get a "Golden Rice Bowl"

Cheers Amy -