Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra, worth the money??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 AM
IceBurnzTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah considering that I've taken multiple 1k+ mile drives on the highway I can't say im chipless. Some peolpe can baby their cars around town but im a highway man for life so i guess that means i have to wear a bra
Old 05-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Absolutely worth it. I had it on my 05 ZR and you could see some of the big impacts on the bra that would have made nasty chips on the bumper. Now I'm getting the full kit put on my 06 GT. I'll never get a car without a clear bra.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
thirty5ounces

Yea wait untill your car is about 3 years old. Dirt will build up in the crack of the bra and leave a line where the bra begins and ends. Yea and then try to have someone try and replace it hahahah you will see for yourself.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z12
Where do I get this done?? I am in Houston.
Look up Steve Perez; his shop is Clear Tech Pro around the 1960 area. He'll do the Xpel kit for around $400 (excluding headlights). I've had two cars done by him and he does great work. Was couple years ago, though; hopefully he's still around. I don't have the number on me, but do a search on FreshAlloy; I think I posted it there once.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you plan to keep your car stock forever, then clear bra it. But for the $600 price tag, you can get an aftermarket bumper and change up the look every once in a while.

Theres also touch up paint... and its pretty easy to touch up on a black car. Just dab, wait a week then wet sand, won't even know its there.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 AM
IceBurnzTT

Originally Posted by aznmojo
if you plan to keep your car stock forever, then clear bra it. But for the $600 price tag, you can get an aftermarket bumper and change up the look every once in a while.

Theres also touch up paint... and its pretty easy to touch up on a black car. Just dab, wait a week then wet sand, won't even know its there.
The aftermarket bumper isnt god the same criteria for damage holds true for it. In some cases its worse and I think it holds true that anyone that has an aftermarket bumper hates flaws even more. Plus touch up paint may blend decent on black but other cars especially after sun wear it doesnt so much.

As far as thirty5ounces' comments. If you only gripe after 3 years is a dirt line on your hood that may or may not happen at the savings of countless rock chips I still think it's worth it so hahahaha to you
Old 05-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Tommy007

If anyone is interested in the 3M clear paint protection film (clear bra), I've got a ton of it at an unbeatable price on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3ALCA%3AUS%3A31
Old 05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Z12

How are we supposed to install this??
I am trying to find a place in Houston that will do it....
Do we just need to do the front bumper/hood? I have heard some people doing the side mirrors etc as well....
How much should this cost?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:20 PM
MustGoFastR

did you read my post above???
Old 05-19-2006, 04:34 PM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by Tommy007
If anyone is interested in the 3M clear paint protection film (clear bra), I've got a ton of it at an unbeatable price on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3ALCA%3AUS%3A31
Link not working...
Old 05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
synth19

not worth it imo, if I park in the city, and someone jacks up my front bumper, I'll have a damaged bra AND have to repaint the car. Just last week I was rear-ended and my car was pushed and I hit the car in front of me, I would have been pissed if I invested in a clear bra.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:55 AM
HockeyZ39

The beauty of living in the burbs....
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 AM
StraySheep

I was thinking of getting the 3M clear bra for the front bumper as well.

But after washing my 06 white Z, I am having 2nd thoughts.

Reason is because as all Z owners know, on the OEM side skirts just in front of the rear wheels, there's a piece of clear plastic that covers about a 2" x 2" surface at the end of the side skirt.

After washing my Z today, I can see that there's a build up of dirt at the front edge of the clear plastic.

I got a feeling the same thing will happen at the edge where the clear bra ends on the hood. I guess if you have a darker color Z, it won't be as much of a problem.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:39 PM
mista350z

So If The Clear Bra Prevents Rock Chips On Your Paint. What Does It Do To The Bra? Does It Make Scrapes On The Bra? And If It Does Dont U Jus Have A Nice Bumper With A Ripped Up Clear Bra Stuck On Your Bumper?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Tommy007

Dunno what happened, here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 AM
MustGoFastR

Here's the info. on the guy to go to in Houston; looks like he moved his shop over to the west side:

http://www.cleartechpro.com/index.php?prog=contact

Good work and great prices.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Z12

MustGo,

Thanks!! Have you used them?
Is there different choices for the film or just 1 that you would recommend?
Also, Am I just asking to cover the front bumper or is there something else I should be worried about?

Thanks again.
Scott
Old 05-22-2006, 07:24 AM
gregszx23

Thumbs up Not fussing!

Okay for all you guys/gals (i don't know) that are "NO" to the Clear bra, have you done any research and read up on what the purpose of the bra is, life of the bra, guarantees are, how the bra weathers? Do your research and you will find that it is a very good idea to have especially for people that live in commuter areas and have to get on the highways for work. Of course anything can happen to your car such as someone hitting you as one guy stated, but honestly that has nothing to do with the purpose of the bra it's not a "forcefield of steel" for everything. So I suggest you go to a few websites and really read a little bit it's worth it, it's worth your investment.

Damn, you people got me sounding like a salesman or something!

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
http://www.invisiblepatterns.com
http://www.clearbra.net/

Last edited by gregszx23; 05-22-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added some info
Old 05-22-2006, 08:30 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Z12
MustGo,

Thanks!! Have you used them?
Is there different choices for the film or just 1 that you would recommend?
Also, Am I just asking to cover the front bumper or is there something else I should be worried about?

Thanks again.
Scott
I have used them for my G35c and FX35 and have referred them to several people. They do a great job, are cheaper than just about anywhere else by a mile and stand by their work. Steve Perez is a great guy. He uses the 3M film and X-pel patterns. He also has the abilility to custom design and computer cut any pattern you want. I had him do custom pieces for my door handle cups on the FX and a thicker piece of film to protect the top edge of the rear bumper on the FX as well. I bought my Z used and it already had some chips, so I'm just going to live with it until I need a repaint, then I'll clear bra it as well. I'd do the bumper, front part of the hood and fenders and the mirrors; that is the standard X-pel package for the Z. Should run you around $400. It's been a couple years since I had my cars done, so I don't know if the prices have gone up since then, but dealers are charging $6-700 and Steve does alot of the clear bras for many dealers in town, so you can see how much they're making from the markup; best to deal with him directly.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive seen a clearbra on a black Z with an aftermarket front end. It ended 1/2 way up the hood and I would have never noticed it unless the owner pointed it out, even then it was not noticible. Im going to look into a clearbra after I repaint my front end.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra, worth the money??