Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing trunk inner plastic cover?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing trunk inner plastic cover?!

I am about to install a new wing on my car and hence need to remove the inner plastic cover on the trunk. The info i could find using the search was limited and said basically just to pull it with your fingers.

Could anyone help me out with a more specific instruction, if its just to pull it, where and how, how and what is it fastened with and where etc (i dont want to start prying with a screwdriver unless i have to...)

Thanks

/Roger
Old 05-20-2006, 05:16 PM
djnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i completely fricked up my trunk panels trying to take them off...just be very careful...the plastic rivets break pretty easily...its never as easy as anyone will tell you...you can use a screwdriver to start it, but mainly use your fingers...just be very careful
Old 05-20-2006, 05:52 PM
IceBurnzTT

Just stick your fingers in and pull down. I've taken it off several times its not something that should take an hour to do. It's attached in many spots and does require some resistance but it will come off without damaging anything.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM
showstoppertk

use a spatchula
Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I've taken it off a couple of times. There are nothing but little snap-on rivets that attach it to the metal frame. What you do it get a long/thick flat-head screwdriver and a flashlight. You can wrap the edges of the screw driver with an old t-shirt if you don't wanna place any kind of indentions on the plastic panel if you'd like. Basicall you work the screw driver into the edge of the panel. Use the flashlight to look into the gap you're creating. Find out where the rivet are, move the tip of the screwdriver as close to the rivet as possible, then twist the screw driver. This will cause the rivet to dislodge from the metal frame. You can then pry downward on the plastic panel to fully disengage the rivet. The T-shirt will prevent any indentions on the plastic panel. Work from the outter most part of the panel, and make your way inward. By using the twist method, it keeps all the pressure right at the rivet which keeps you from breaking it or bending up the plastic molding. From time to time, one of the rivets will stay in the metal frame and actually disengage from the plastic. No problem. Use some needle nose pliers to pry it out from the base, then re-attach it to the plastic panel before reattaching the panel.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
rx7/350z

those plastic rivets cost around $0.39
Old 05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Roggan

Originally Posted by vo7848
I've taken it off a couple of times. There are nothing but little snap-on rivets that attach it to the metal frame. What you do it get a long/thick flat-head screwdriver and a flashlight. You can wrap the edges of the screw driver with an old t-shirt if you don't wanna place any kind of indentions on the plastic panel if you'd like. Basicall you work the screw driver into the edge of the panel. Use the flashlight to look into the gap you're creating. Find out where the rivet are, move the tip of the screwdriver as close to the rivet as possible, then twist the screw driver. This will cause the rivet to dislodge from the metal frame. You can then pry downward on the plastic panel to fully disengage the rivet. The T-shirt will prevent any indentions on the plastic panel. Work from the outter most part of the panel, and make your way inward. By using the twist method, it keeps all the pressure right at the rivet which keeps you from breaking it or bending up the plastic molding. From time to time, one of the rivets will stay in the metal frame and actually disengage from the plastic. No problem. Use some needle nose pliers to pry it out from the base, then re-attach it to the plastic panel before reattaching the panel.
Thanks for the info! Ive already removed it almost 100% succesfull I used the back of a hammer (the part you use to pull out nails with) wrapped in tape to loosen it on the narrow part by the window, then i pulled it off from there.

Some plastic fasteners where slightly damaged though, but im planning on getting some new anyway so no big deal.

/Roger
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Roggan
Thanks for the info! Ive already removed it almost 100% succesfull I used the back of a hammer (the part you use to pull out nails with) wrapped in tape to loosen it on the narrow part by the window, then i pulled it off from there.

Some plastic fasteners where slightly damaged though, but im planning on getting some new anyway so no big deal.

/Roger
Just an extra tip: If you plan on adding some bass in the trunk and want to eliminate some rattle from the plastic panel, dab the mating parts of the panel with clear silicone b4 reattatching. This will create a rattle free bond.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
imonlykidden

Originally Posted by Roggan
I am about to install a new wing on my car and hence need to remove the inner plastic cover on the trunk. The info i could find using the search was limited and said basically just to pull it with your fingers.

Could anyone help me out with a more specific instruction, if its just to pull it, where and how, how and what is it fastened with and where etc (i dont want to start prying with a screwdriver unless i have to...)

Thanks

/Roger
try using plastic wedges, or wooden wraped in seran wrap wedges. probbly be able to pry the inner peice off and see where those knotches are. but be carefull. **** is fragile if pryed to hard...
Old 05-23-2006, 08:36 AM
imonlykidden

lets see some pics when done??
Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a plastic putty knife to pull it down enough to get my fingers under, then just pull, it will pop loose.

I broke 2 rivits but I didn't replace them and it seems fine.

Last edited by Chad68; 05-23-2006 at 09:47 AM.