Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

AHH ! Help! Window Tinting Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003 | 10:22 AM
Ricky
Banned

Default AHH ! Help! Window Tinting Question!!

Okay I was suppose to get my tint done a little while ago but due to a suspended license, I couldn't go out to get it done.. well now it's unsuspended so I'm getting it done this, or coming weekend but have a question..

When you tint the windows, it has to dry, but the Z has that thing where the windows go down 10mm when you open the door, doesn't this end up making the tint peel at the bottom? Any way to de-activate this feature on the Z for a few days so the tint can dry? Thanks everyone!!
Old 02-19-2003 | 10:26 AM
WebToker

Default Re: AHH ! Help! Window Tinting Question!!

Originally posted by Ricky
Okay I was suppose to get my tint done a little while ago but due to a suspended license, I couldn't go out to get it done.. well now it's unsuspended so I'm getting it done this, or coming weekend but have a question..

When you tint the windows, it has to dry, but the Z has that thing where the windows go down 10mm when you open the door, doesn't this end up making the tint peel at the bottom? Any way to de-activate this feature on the Z for a few days so the tint can dry? Thanks everyone!!
Thats a good question. I wondered about that myself when I was at the dealer.
Old 02-19-2003 | 10:28 AM
Ricky
Banned

Yeah because I don't want to end up leaving my Z there the entire day and not driving it, but at the same time, I do'nt want it to peel. So the best would be if I could deactivate the windows going down for a few days, so it can completely dry.
Old 02-19-2003 | 10:54 AM
vova151

Many posts on this. The windows will be fine. Go to someone that has experience with these types of windows. They just need to make the tint a little longer so it goes below the bottom of the window. Do a search for more info if you need it. You don't want to disable the windows. Bad things happen when you close the doors with the windows all the way up.
Old 02-19-2003 | 10:58 AM
kaiser23

You can't deactivate that feature. If the windows don't go down, the window will actually hit the frame above the door (or so my dealer told me). Which begs the question, what happens if your battery dies? Broken window?
Old 02-19-2003 | 11:17 AM
apharmdb

I think you can open the door, but not close it in this case.
Old 02-19-2003 | 11:18 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

the door can close, and there is a fuse you can pull. but this is not nescesarry.

you need the tint to go below the seal when the window is in its full up position. you can just hot the button up when the doors open to get it fully up. then they need to pull the seal away from the window and get the tint a little farther still(you dont want the tint to barely cover the window, even when its dry it will rub constantly and could still peel)

another option to do this is to remove the door panel, whichever your shop and you are comfortable doing. you should get a lifetime gaurentee on it anyway, so if they mess it up, they get to try again.
Old 02-19-2003 | 11:33 AM
SirMikel1

umm yeah, what Ares said..
Old 02-19-2003 | 11:34 AM
vova151

Ares we always seem to be on top of these tint questions?

To answer the question about what happens when the battery dies and you are in it....you are stuck. There was a post about that the other day too. Expect a recall....it's a major problem.
Old 02-19-2003 | 11:36 AM
SirMikel1

What you can do is depress the black button where the door shuts, and this lifts up the window as if it were closed. Then have the windows tinted but leave extra room so that the person tinting can go below the sill. The tool they use can easily go inbetween the sill and do the job for you. My tint came out just fine.

-Mike
Old 02-19-2003 | 12:53 PM
MaximumPwr

Exactly, just like SirMikel! said. But when they are done make sure they use a heat gun or a blowdryer on the lower part of the window and seal. Makes the tint cure very quickly. Heck have them do the entire window. I always go home and pull out a blowdryer and spend about 15 minutes in my car doing this to all the windows anyways. I hate waiting 2 or 3 days, or more if you live in a colder climate, just for the tint to dry and to roll down the window.
Old 02-19-2003 | 02:16 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

Originally posted by vova151

To answer the question about what happens when the battery dies and you are in it....you are stuck. There was a post about that the other day too. Expect a recall....it's a major problem.
that post was wrong, go ahead and go outside, hop in, then hold the window button in the up position and open the door. viola, the door opens and the window doesnt go down. the seal is not that tight. the window often freezes and wont go down, but you can still get into your car.
Old 02-19-2003 | 04:57 PM
vova151

I'll take your word for it...I'm not gonna try it. My understanding was that windows get broken if they don't go down. As for the recall that was posted on this board so I was just passing along info.
Old 02-19-2003 | 06:25 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier
Premier Member

Originally posted by vova151

The door can close fine with the windows not moving. Its close, but its not an impossible fit.. you'll notice the windows do not go UNDER the frame.

Its not a huge deal... I'm curious why the windows even move.. its not even close really.
Old 02-20-2003 | 07:46 AM
vova151

Originally posted by ares
that post was wrong, go ahead and go outside, hop in, then hold the window button in the up position and open the door. viola, the door opens and the window doesnt go down. the seal is not that tight. the window often freezes and wont go down, but you can still get into your car.

I'm not believeing this either. I tried what you suggested this morning and the window does not go all the way up. There is still additional room. You can check this by having the door open and rolling the window all the way up. Looks like it's at the top but if push the button next to the latch the window goes up even futher. Not saying the window won't clear but I'm saying that isn't a good test to prove that it does.