Sponsored by:

repaint then clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 07:28 AM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repaint then clear bra?

So I finally had an experience to pushed me to get a clear bra. Got a new tranny at the delaer, also got my wheels reallligned. I get the car back,, and 2 days later, when its sunny outside,, I notice a nice big horizontal scuff mark on the front bumber,, like some dumbass mechanic scraped it or something. Needless to say, I am pissed, so am going to go get the front bumber repainted (lots of prior chip mark on it also). My question is,, how long after the repaint do I have to wait before putting on a 3M clear bra?? Is there a waiting period at all.

Oh, and as far as my dealer, I'm never going to them again. I dont know about complaining to them since I noticed it 2 days later. Oh well,, here goes another 1K for repaintin and clear bra

RaymanZ
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
MirZa w da Z

lol
dude , u got the same problem as me .
ill repaint my front today and have to wait 3-4 weeks before installing a clear bra .
so within those period, u shouldn't go to highway ...NEVER...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
HTP AutoWorks

30 days is a good rule of thumb unless the paint shop will bake the panel. Even then I still would wait at least a week before installing the clear bra.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM
NizzmoJoe

One week is plenty of time for bc/cc to cure even without it having been baked. Stay away from invisibleshields.com though, not at all impressed with the quality of their film. I'm am having to get them to send me replacement pieces for mine right now due to poor quality film.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by NizzmoJoe
One week is plenty of time for bc/cc to cure even without it having been baked. Stay away from invisibleshields.com though, not at all impressed with the quality of their film. I'm am having to get them to send me replacement pieces for mine right now due to poor quality film.
I dont know what experience you have regarding this subject, but as an installer I will NOT put film on a car that the paint hasnt fully cured. If you do then it will lift the paint when it is removed. 99% of the stories of paint lifting is from people who did not let the paint full cure before application. Every reputable installer I know (along with body shops) recommend 30 days.

As far as InvisibleShields.com, that domain is still for sale so there is no business there. Check the domain name and let me know what it is. I will find out what type of film they are using.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
I dont know what experience you have regarding this subject, but as an installer I will NOT put film on a car that the paint hasnt fully cured. If you do then it will lift the paint when it is removed. 99% of the stories of paint lifting is from people who did not let the paint full cure before application. Every reputable installer I know (along with body shops) recommend 30 days.

As far as InvisibleShields.com, that domain is still for sale so there is no business there. Check the domain name and let me know what it is. I will find out what type of film they are using.
Precisely. Same reason you shouldn't use certain waxes on fresh paint.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:40 PM
zeruck

When I repaint, I will not be able to drive my car at all till the clear bra is applied. When I even think of driving my 350z my front end chips.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
NizzmoJoe

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by 03Zilverstone
Precisely. Same reason you shouldn't use certain waxes on fresh paint.
Oops, my bad......wrong name!!! What I meant was invisiblemask.com and they use a 3M film. I tend to think this is not a quality 3M film though, or possibly a lower grade. I took the kit I purchased to a local professional installer to compare the film I received to the 3M film he stocks and the difference was night and day. Mine was extremely orange peel looking and lots of imperfections in the film its self while his was very smooth a uniform. As for the paint, my background is about 15 years of employment as a professional automotive refinisher that has attended both the Dupont and PPG schools on several occasions. All of my jobs are baked in a Blowtherm Booth and I can easily lay film over paint that has cured for a week. Cured is cured, once solvents evaporate there is no further drying left to do. Were not in the stone age painting with laquer or acrylic enamel any longer guys.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
rlw222

check out armor auto. It's a spray chip proof clear coat. I have had it on the last 3 cars. On the vette I had the whole car done except the roof and back bumper. no lines and makes the car look waxed and buffed all the time and you never have to . Bugs will not stain it and stuff aholes throw on your car will not hurt it like eggs and most paints and so on. check it out. little more $$ but you get what you pay for. The job on the vette cost 2k and was well worth it.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Mapleleaf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also used Armor Coat as well on my 2 bumpers , side skirts work excellent
http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/
Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by NizzmoJoe
Oops, my bad......wrong name!!! What I meant was invisiblemask.com and they use a 3M film. I tend to think this is not a quality 3M film though, or possibly a lower grade. I took the kit I purchased to a local professional installer to compare the film I received to the 3M film he stocks and the difference was night and day. Mine was extremely orange peel looking and lots of imperfections in the film its self while his was very smooth a uniform. As for the paint, my background is about 15 years of employment as a professional automotive refinisher that has attended both the Dupont and PPG schools on several occasions. All of my jobs are baked in a Blowtherm Booth and I can easily lay film over paint that has cured for a week. Cured is cured, once solvents evaporate there is no further drying left to do. Were not in the stone age painting with laquer or acrylic enamel any longer guys.

3M is notorious for having the worst orange peel on the market. I iwll check out the other film and see what they are using... but 3M is so bad I will not install it due to the orange peel. Plus I have seen 3M crack when it hot weather for extended periods of time.

I think if you read my first post above it says if you bake the panel then wait a week. You just stated you bake the panels so I am not sure why you contradicted my statement in your second post. Either way sounds like we are saying the same thing.

I also have checked out the website you mentioned and have some serious issues with them. Any installer that recommends you buy their kits and install them yourself is strictly in this to make money. 99% of the people out there will try to install film and have poor results. They know this so they are trying to make it sound like its an easy process... so you will buy their film. Its definately a process that should be done by a professional installer... that is if you want good results. The film that they push as InsibleMask film is actually someone else's film that they brand under their own name. I will have to call them to find out if they will even tell me. I would imagine its VentureShield Ultra since they are promoting the lifetime warranty... either that or ClearMask AR. Either way these two films are MUCH better than 3M.

Last edited by HTP AutoWorks; 04-10-2009 at 05:33 AM.