Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED in Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
imjust2goofy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED in Headlight

I just ordered some 168/194 size led bulbs for the headlight, when I got them they say not to put them in the headlight because it will void the warranty because of the heat output of the headlight.
I have a couple of questions:
-Is it a bad idea to put them in my headlight anyway?
-Does this void the Nissan warranty, or the LED company warranty?

thanks.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
sorphin

No it does not void the nissan warranty, and i had led blinkers and parking lights in mine and no damage has occured to them.. (well, they're not in there now, but will be again once i get my Z back next week)
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What? Heat output of the LED bulbs or headlight, itself? The slightest chance these LED bulbs can "harm" the car is if the bulbs come with an internal short. Otherwise, these bulbs eat up a fraction of the power of OEM bulbs.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:43 PM
sorphin

Originally Posted by djtonium
What? Heat output of the LED bulbs or headlight, itself? The slightest chance these LED bulbs can "harm" the car is if the bulbs come with an internal short. Otherwise, these bulbs eat up a fraction of the power of OEM bulbs.

Generally they're talking about heat from the headlights... but the thing to remember, if you have Xenons, it's a whole different ballgame in the headlights than if they were halogens, heat production wise
Old 08-19-2006, 03:54 PM
imjust2goofy

Originally Posted by sorphin
Generally they're talking about heat from the headlights... but the thing to remember, if you have Xenons, it's a whole different ballgame in the headlights than if they were halogens, heat production wise

I'm putting the LED's into the HID headlight, I currnetly have Halogen, but my guess it that halogen might melt the plastic of the LED... or are the HID's the ones that might be releasing more heat?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 PM
imjust2goofy

No it does not void the nissan warranty, and i had led blinkers and parking lights in mine and no damage has occured to them.. (well, they're not in there now, but will be again once i get my Z back next week)
That's good to know, because I have been to the dealer about 4 times now, and it's all been on them... so, I'm not going to do anything that might void the warranty until it actually expires...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine haven't melted but I do have about half of the LED elements dead on my headlight bulbs. The tail lights have faired much better. The festoon lights went out pretty quickly - I'm thinking the LEDs are over driven pretty hard and that the LEDs themselves are poorly built.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:41 PM
sorphin

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Mine haven't melted but I do have about half of the LED elements dead on my headlight bulbs. The tail lights have faired much better. The festoon lights went out pretty quickly - I'm thinking the LEDs are over driven pretty hard and that the LEDs themselves are poorly built.

Right. So far i've only had one of my festoon's die, and they replaced it, no questions asked.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:11 AM
imjust2goofy

That's good to know for future refrence. Which LED company are you using?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Marc Mc

Be very careful with LED's gents. I work for a commercial lighting manufacturer. We have been studying LED's for a certain application, and found many issues. A lot has to do with the design of the product. There needs to be proper heat sinking or the light output will drastically diminish over a short period of time- while it consumes the same amount of energy. Of course, LED's use up a fraction of the energy used as comared to HID or Halogen, but you aren't paying any extra for that energy when dealing with your car.

You are going to pay when your headlights don't put out enough light to see what you need to see. The technology is getting better, but it isn't to the point where I would want to rely on them as my main source of night vision in my car.

Good luck. Keep those halogens or HID's handy.
Marc Mc
Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imjust2goofy
I just ordered some 168/194 size led bulbs for the headlight, when I got them they say not to put them in the headlight because it will void the warranty because of the heat output of the headlight.
I have a couple of questions:
-Is it a bad idea to put them in my headlight anyway?
-Does this void the Nissan warranty, or the LED company warranty?

thanks.
Had LED in the parking light and the glue from the bulb leaked into my headlights. Be careful!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to know for future refrence. Which LED company are you using?
I've been using both www.autolumination.com and www.superbrightLEDs.com. When my lights failed they did ask questions and were happy to sell me another light rather than exchange the defective one they sold me. Off hand I don't remember which of the two it was. I've likely saved the email at home.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 AM
sorphin

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I've been using both www.autolumination.com and www.superbrightLEDs.com. When my lights failed they did ask questions and were happy to sell me another light rather than exchange the defective one they sold me. Off hand I don't remember which of the two it was. I've likely saved the email at home.

Superbright replaced mine under warranty.. heh
Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 AM
driftk1d

i have nothing to add to this thread lol
Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM
maxpowers

My autolumination LEDs failed numerous times (and replaced under warranty) due to the heat produced by the HID.

I bought some high quality LEDs and they've been working for well over a year now.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 AM
sorphin

Originally Posted by maxpowers
My autolumination LEDs failed numerous times (and replaced under warranty) due to the heat produced by the HID.

I bought some high quality LEDs and they've been working for well over a year now.

well shortly i shall see how mine continue to hold up.. get car back wednesday finally
Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
imjust2goofy

Originally Posted by Biochem7
Had LED in the parking light and the glue from the bulb leaked into my headlights. Be careful!

Man that has to stink!!! glue inside your headlight... wow... sorry bro...

Well, I just got mine in... I got them from superbrightleds.com, we'll see how they hold up...
Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
sorphin

the only complaint i've had is that getting the bulbs to stay in the parking light sockets is a PITA.. course, i'm not using the little 168's, i'm using the 921's, so...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 AM
imjust2goofy

the only complaint i've had is that getting the bulbs to stay in the parking light sockets is a PITA.. course, i'm not using the little 168's, i'm using the 921's, so...

lol... so... there's the problem...

Why don't you use some black electrical tape, almost all the plugs are black anyway..
Old 08-22-2006, 06:07 PM
sorphin

lol... so... there's the problem...

Why don't you use some black electrical tape, almost all the plugs are black anyway..

last time hotglue worked actually.. hehe.. they kept shooting into the headlight.. heck, when i had the accident ALL my LEDS went flying into the headlights.. lol.. i think bulbs may have too in this instance

Quick Reply: LED in Headlight