Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The tint on my hatch is too light...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
d!abolic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The tint on my hatch is too light...

When i bought the car a year ago, i asked for 38% on the sides and 28% on the back, but it looks like they put 38% on the back too. If i wanna make it really dark, i.e. 28 or even 18%, what should i do? Do i have to remove the existing, or do they just put another layer on top? Will it look good?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Fletch69z

They would remove the original and put on a new layer. If done by a professional I'm sure it will look good.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
r26

i am a professional tinter. if the existing tint is good enough (minimal dust, good condition, and good cuts), it should be alright to put another layer over it. i prefer to take it off and put new film on.

as far as lightness, are talking about from the inside or the outside. note that back windows always looks lighter from the outside because of the light coming in from the windshield.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
d!abolic

Originally Posted by r26
i am a professional tinter. if the existing tint is good enough (minimal dust, good condition, and good cuts), it should be alright to put another layer over it. i prefer to take it off and put new film on.

as far as lightness, are talking about from the inside or the outside. note that back windows always looks lighter from the outside because of the light coming in from the windshield.
Ohh, you're right. Mainly from the outside. Sounds like i'm gonna need 18% film?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
kaizenro1

As to not to start a new thread, what is the darkest tint allowed in CA on front, side and rear glass?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Elohite

Wow. Search FTW

I believe in CA almost everything is illegal for the front and sides, but any % in the rear. I am not sure of this though.

I personally have a 35 sides and 20 rear and have gotten tickets for it before.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:54 PM
jamaicanj

My tint was too light in the back as well...it was in good condition...so the tint shop simply put another layer of film on top and now it is perfect.

My main concern was that you could see in the hatch area when parked, and with the new layer of tint as well as a sunshade in the windshield (no the sunshade does not look cool..but I don't care), you cannot see in the hatch area now
Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 PM
timmays350

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I work at a tint shop here in ND and putting another layer over existing tint is just wrong. you will never get the window clean enough to be able to lay your film without dust and other contaminates getting on the film. you want it done right have them lay a whole new one. you can probably save money by stripping your old stuff off yourself. i know we charge $45 an hour to remove old tint. just start in one corner and peel it back with your finger nail or carefully with a razor blade..(don't touch the defroster lines with the razor) it should come off in one or very few pieces. then get some adhesive remover, we use 3M spray that on and rub the glass with a piece of steel wool. wipe clean, and you should be good enough to bring it in.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 PM
NightRida

Originally Posted by timmays350
I work at a tint shop here in ND and putting another layer over existing tint is just wrong. you will never get the window clean enough to be able to lay your film without dust and other contaminates getting on the film. you want it done right have them lay a whole new one. you can probably save money by stripping your old stuff off yourself. i know we charge $45 an hour to remove old tint. just start in one corner and peel it back with your finger nail or carefully with a razor blade..(don't touch the defroster lines with the razor) it should come off in one or very few pieces. then get some adhesive remover, we use 3M spray that on and rub the glass with a piece of steel wool. wipe clean, and you should be good enough to bring it in.
I concur!
PEace!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by kaizenro1
As to not to start a new thread, what is the darkest tint allowed in CA on front, side and rear glass?

Thanks
except for the rear window, i think CHPies will ticket any tints on the side windows....been there done that, no more tints on my cars.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

CA nothing is legal on the driver and passinger side window , but a tint strip is legal , but i dont remember what the requirements are for that. The back window (3 on out cars) you can paint black if you want as long as you retain both side mirrors.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM
kaizenro1

Originally Posted by Ztalker
except for the rear window, i think CHPies will ticket any tints on the side windows....been there done that, no more tints on my cars.
Crapola. And I thought VA were tint *****. So do they looove (read: have hard ons) giving tickets even for like the lightest tint on the sides?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by kaizenro1
Crapola. And I thought VA were tint *****. So do they looove (read: have hard ons) giving tickets even for like the lightest tint on the sides?
my SUV was pulled over on a car pool lane during rush hour, CHPie claimed he couldn't see my rear passengers and gave me ticket for tint...yike.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM
kaizenro1

Man. I remember in VA the front driver and passenger is all they were concerned of (APBs and such). Now it's the rear seat passenger excuse out here? OMG.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:03 AM
zzz350

I have lived in Kalifornia all my life, I've owned at least a dozen cars, always tint everyone of them all the way around, except windshield. Never one ticket for tinting, even if I was getting a ticket for something else. I've lived in LA, SF, and the central valley. Just don't go over the top dark on the passenger and driver windows, you'll be fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by timmays350

You can absolutely tint over top of it and get it clean and lay correctly. I definitely wouldn't call it wrong. It happens. People think they know what they want and then realize they want it darker. Instead of bending them over for a removal why not just darken it up a bit. It can be done correctly very easily. But like someone said previously the quality of the previous work makes the difference.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been told that the darker the tint, uglier the driver; i don't know if it's true or not, but i am a tint advocate needless to say haha
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
Jesus, CA is FTL.

I've had 5%-20% (all the way around) on most of my cars growing up here in FL.
Everyone raves about the weather, but sucks to be a tuner there!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
timmays350

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can absolutely tint over top of it and get it clean and lay correctly. I definitely wouldn't call it wrong. It happens. People think they know what they want and then realize they want it darker. Instead of bending them over for a removal why not just darken it up a bit. It can be done correctly very easily. But like someone said previously the quality of the previous work makes the difference.

I personally would never do it. we have cars at our shop tinted in all the shades we carry, we point out what is what, if they choose and don't like it, well they should have put more thought into it. not like the stuff is hard to get off anyways, most people change their minds within a few days, before the **** really bakes on, plus we use 3M so it usually comes off in 1 or 2 pieces so we don't rape em to badly.

Quick Reply: The tint on my hatch is too light...