Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bra do you all recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 PM
GR82BBlondie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which bra do you all recommend?

We just purchased an '06 Z. We've decided that we should probably put a bra on the car to protect it. The car is Silverstone and we're not sure which color will look better or which brand someone may recommend.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GR82BBlondie
Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bra that will vibrate the paint off and make a nice UV missmatch when it's taken off in 2 years ?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
VQLOVER

Although I don't own one, most people on here will recommend a clear bra made by 3m.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Mewantbfp

I know you can buy a clear bra but im not sure what the website is im sure someone here can remember and help you out.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 PM
GR82BBlondie

I'm amazed at how quickly folks respond here.

Need to clarify somthing. I don't plan on leaving it on for two years. As in the past I'll take it off to wash the vehicle every other wash and it's fine. Had a couple other cars and done this and they've been fine.

But thanks for the input.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
thepostman

I have had the Colgan bra and am very satisfied with it as front end body armor. I have hit a steel pipe and some other debris and curbs and it has held up really well. The Colgan is a two piece set which I find convenient to access the engine. After much thought/research I went with the Colgan traditional bra as opposed to the 3M clear bra for several key reasons. First the Colgan shouldn't cost more than $100 while the clear bra could range anywhere from $400-1500 depending what you end up getting covered. Second I've seen the clear bra and I have seen a tendency for them to peel at the corners and get pretty thrashed. Another factor is finding someone who knows what they are doing installing the bra and not using yours for practice. Applying it can be tricky and deffered to the simply bra. Finally, the 3M clear bra blocks UV just the same as the regular bra which addresses the theory of fading paint. The colgan has its trade offs, at the first sign of rain I pull mine off. I'm in rainy Oregon so I use the bra only ~4 months of the year. If you leave it on wet the moisture is trapped and may fade and ruin the paint. If I ever get a windfall I may put the clear bra on the front bumper and hood. However....that won't stop any chips on the hood near the wipers where I already took a nasty chip. Washing the bra is very easy, I washed it while its on the car then dry it. I can put it on or off in less than 5 mins. I don't remember where I bought mine...it was more than 2 yrs ago.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
GR82BBlondie

That's great information. Very informative and exactly what we were looking for.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 PM
MeetJoeAsian

try "Cross Your Heart"...I'm not sure what size you are, but if you're a guy, I don't think it'll look THAT good on you, so I'd recommend the black...if you're a girl, go for a red bra....if you need help in the panty department, I can call my X up, she knows a lot about them too...
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM
IMAKIWI

Get the 3M material (sometimes sold under other names because of the pattern companies). Many dealers will install it and a number of auto body shops will as well. Here is a link to the 3M site. there even is a video of gravel hitting the stuff.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the/Consumer/

I just had it put on my recently purchased Z and it makes it a lot more fun not having to worry about chips or screw around with a vinyl bra. I had the headlights, door edges and mirrors done as well.

Be careful to get a installer that stands behind their work. You should never have to take it off. Just wash and wax right over it.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:02 PM
z-u-later

Get a 3M clear bra -- you won't regret it. I have an '06 and I wasted no time installing the clear bra. I had it installed on my hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, door edges, and more importantly, headlamps. Each headlamp on an '06 costs over $1K to replace. The cheap $100 black bras do not cover your headlamps. Those old black bras are '60s technology. The clear bra is current technology. With the 3M clear bra, it is hardly noticeable and you keep your Zs lines, if you know what I mean.

You spent $30K on your Z -- don't go cheap on her -- it only cost me $700 to have it installed and the professional installer came to my house for the custom install. The installer that did my clear bra installs them on exotic cars like Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Lexus, etc. If these high-end car owners see the need for a clear bra, I don't see why we can't do it on our Zs.

For additional information on the 3M clear bra and installers in your area, go to the site below:

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. The clear bra will probably be one of your best investments on your new Z.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
thepostman

the leather traditional bra is great for the cost (something is better than nothing). If you have the cash get the clear bra and make sure you get the headlights done also ($1500 replacement for each one!). keep in mind, you pay for what you get and there are a lot of details involved in application of the bra from cutting, to adhesive mixture to application and its all done on time. Try to get the installation guide and find pics of installing the clear bra to give you an idea of what is involved. I have had two friends who had the clearbra installed and the shop stated they did it before and they obviously didn't. there were many bubbles and the cuts weren't even close. I plan on putting a front lip modification (veilside ver 1) on my Z and I plan to get the clearbra at that time.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get clear bra on your bumper and hood.
I have so many small chips on both my bumper and hood and I regret so much not getting the clear bra when the car was shiny and new.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 PM
LegionnaireZ

i prefer Victoria Secret myself... they have a nice see-thru mesh that never fails...

on a serious note... i have bought a newer bumper to replace my old messed up one...

it has clear bra already installed... it's very nice, barely noticable... only to those that know what they're looking for... and it shines just like clear coat...

not to mention doesn't chip under "normal" circumstances... so little pebbles and rocks just bounce off and leave virtually no marks... i don't see how i got around with out it...
Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Blu Hvn

It's all a matter of personal taste. In my observation the Clear Bra tends to look better on lighter color cars such as yours. Mine is Daytona Blue. I recently looked at a Redline with a Clear Bra and, to me, it was quite noticeable. You could see where they waxed the car and wax built up on the edge of the Clear Bra. Of course, more careful waxing or using Zaino would have elminated that.
I bought a Colgan Bra from Motorsport Auto-www.zcarparts.com-and have been very pleased with it. I can pop it on or off in 5-10 minutes and never drive in the rain with it on or leave it on wet. I also bought the mirror covers.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 AM
jamnew

Originally Posted by GR82BBlondie
We just purchased an '06 Z. We've decided that we should probably put a bra on the car to protect it. The car is Silverstone and we're not sure which color will look better or which brand someone may recommend.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GR82BBlondie

I have a silverstone ZR and I bought the black Nissan bra for my ZR. The fit is very tight with lots of extra clips. No problems with the paint and I have gotten alot of compliments on it.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
highside107

Go for the clearbra. There are many other companies besides 3M that are also reputable like Venture. The clearbra protects your headlights, rearview mirrors and 1/3 of the hood (in addition the front bumper, etc. of course) which the traditional bra does not cover. Believe me, you will eventually get rock chips on your hood. There is a reason why many Z owners and other car owners of nice cars (Porsches, M3s, S2Ks, etc.) prefer the clearbra.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
BELLE13X

Hahahahaa...I was going to say Victoria's Secret...but I guess you already did!

Originally Posted by LegionnaireZ
i prefer Victoria Secret myself... they have a nice see-thru mesh that never fails...

on a serious note... i have bought a newer bumper to replace my old messed up one...

it has clear bra already installed... it's very nice, barely noticable... only to those that know what they're looking for... and it shines just like clear coat...

not to mention doesn't chip under "normal" circumstances... so little pebbles and rocks just bounce off and leave virtually no marks... i don't see how i got around with out it...
Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Jdmjunkie

Another good company for a clear Bra is www.StarShieldArmor.com I have a couple of friends who have this on the cars and it looks great you would need a proffesional installer though
Thats just my .02
Old 08-29-2006, 12:22 PM
davidf

Originally Posted by GR82BBlondie
I'm amazed at how quickly folks respond here.

Need to clarify somthing. I don't plan on leaving it on for two years. As in the past I'll take it off to wash the vehicle every other wash and it's fine. Had a couple other cars and done this and they've been fine.

But thanks for the input.
Being your screen name has blondie in it we all assume your a girl which in turn gets you faster responses and more attention. I'm suprised no one has asked for pics.yet.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 PM
davidf

Pics. please.

Quick Reply: Which bra do you all recommend?