Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics: New Origin Urban Lip And Full Bumper Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there are Japanese made replicas. Take Version Select for instance. Their HQ is in Japan & they make replicas of the Vertex Kit. If you browse through a bunch of the various kits that Origin has & compare them to what T&E has, you'll see a lot of similarities.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 AM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Yes, there are Japanese made replicas. Take Version Select for instance. Their HQ is in Japan & they make replicas of the Vertex Kit. If you browse through a bunch of the various kits that Origin has & compare them to what T&E has, you'll see a lot of similarities.
You know what's funny though? The Origin logo is another replica of the Playboy bunny.

So, yes or no, do you consider Origin a replica company like for instance, Evo-R and Shine Auto? Obviously, they have their own, original molds; even though it's shape was inspired by other companies. Or is it like f it, if your kit bears enough of a resemblance, you're tossed into replica status?

Seriously, what's the perception of Origin outside the Z community? Screw it, I'm not even in the market for this kit... just interesting, especially since I read the "support real goods" thread where things got heated.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 AM
dsmal

I toss it in the replica batch. Bears too much resemblance. Doesnt matter to me where it comes from.

Thats my take on it.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of replicas...for those that missed this thread please read

Some bitter truth about what replicas do to our hobby
Old 09-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Auto RnD

It is what it is. It's unfortunate. we've stood true to the movement for authentic parts but the sad part is that this market is very different from Japan. These Japanese aerokits are ungodly expensive. There just aren't enough people out there to buy the authentic kits and on certain applications they won't fit US models.

Origin is viewed as an original design because it is different. Version Select however would not be. those would be considered replicas. How many different bumpers can one possibly design before you start running into similarities. it's bound to happen.

I think the people who buy these affordable parts would never buy the authentic parts in the first place. It's just out of their budget. the guys who buy the authentic parts will take pride in purchasing authentic stuff and voice it so that it can be recognized.

For all intensive purposes, these cars are daily driven and I'd assume that the aerokit needs to be somewhat expendable. I've bought way way too many expensive kits to know that once it's installed you're going to freak out with every rock and every ****ty driver out there, etc.... I end up just letting them sit in the garage and my once "commuter" car has become a "garage" car. almost defeats the purpose.

Another issue with Authentic Japan parts is availability and lead times. More importantly, accurate lead times. hehe. The parts are just too expensive to stock and supply the demand.

I will say that you always get what you pay for and Origin is probably the nicest FRP manufacturer of kits I've ever seen in this price point.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
SaigonaZn69

does the lip fit on the 06?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:25 PM
stan

Originally Posted by SaigonaZn69
does the lip fit on the 06?
+1 million dollar question. we can only hope
Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

I'm all for authentic kits, but in this instance, though there are similarities I've never thought of Origin-Lab as a replica maker. I always thought that Replica meant a company made an identical copy of a product made by another company. This kit in question again looks very similar but it does have it's minor differences. Simply an interpretation of what that designer felt the original should have been. There was an article in a mag that touched on this subject and they used the multi spoke wheel as an example. Though most would aggree that BBS is the originator of that particular wheel design and no one would call Volk or Work replicas, you can easily see the similarities between some of the BBS designs and the SF-Winning and Work VS-XX. Just something to think about.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 AM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MethodRN
I'm all for authentic kits, but in this instance, though there are similarities I've never thought of Origin-Lab as a replica maker. I always thought that Replica meant a company made an identical copy of a product made by another company. This kit in question again looks very similar but it does have it's minor differences. Simply an interpretation of what that designer felt the original should have been. There was an article in a mag that touched on this subject and they used the multi spoke wheel as an example. Though most would aggree that BBS is the originator of that particular wheel design and no one would call Volk or Work replicas, you can easily see the similarities between some of the BBS designs and the SF-Winning and Work VS-XX. Just something to think about.
This is what I was saying. Thanks for the BBS example. That made the idea more clear.

This replica stuff is certainly a touchy subjet with some here, as well it should be. I myself, would never buy a knock-off, or buy anything pirated... which carries over with video games, music, videos, etc. I like to support the companies that produces things I like, and I'd like them to succeed and contine to produce those things.

On the surface, it seems that having companies pirate body kits would hurt the original manufacturer. A closer analysis leads us to beleive, like it already been stated, that the enthusiasts that cannot afford authentic, would never even consider buying a kit, if not for the replicas. Is this really hurting the original manufacturer then if people who can't affor authentic, wouldn't even consider buying authentic even if replicas weren't around?

But there are other variables too. Now remember, again, I support companies whose original products appeal to me. I help keep them in business when I buy their products. Also, it also makes me feel good to show off what I got, like the "Guess" or "Banana Republic" logos on shirts. If it's a knock-off Guess shirt, subconsiously, it has to affect how you wear it, how you strut... just my view. So.... I remember this one thread where this member had a replica Ings kit, and he stated it was replica after being asked. Then there were subsequent posts about authentic Ings kit owners wanting to get rid of theirs because it was getting saturated with the same kit, and the "exclusivity" was no longer there... sorta like, I can imagine for girls, having Coach bags. With so many replicas out there, who can tell who got authentic stuff... the feeling of exclusivity, and being "special" will no longer be there.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:04 AM
xedes

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
You know what's funny though? The Origin logo is another replica of the Playboy bunny.
Correction! The playboy bunny has two erect ears...and no stogie
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
kidynomite

nvm this post got my answer

Last edited by kidynomite; 10-12-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
fucy626

will they offer the spoiler in the picture?