Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Secret vs. Seibon

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Secret vs. Seibon

anybody's got TS hood here? how you like it? heard a few complaints with seibon (although I still trust it, especially for the price).
Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hoods from first to latest:

Seibon CF VT - cracked where the latch is...like a lot of other people after about 6 months.

Veilside CF V3 - it fits like a glove...like a baseball glove on a baby's hand...

Real Top Secret CF hood - Dry CF, fits perfectly, extremely light...but at a hefty pricetag.

Last edited by Nitrouz; 10-25-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
norapat01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just go for the real stuff, authetic stuff always goods. My INGS hood fit pretty good, just adjust here and there and vala!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:29 PM
serg 350z

Originally Posted by Cannysage
anybody's got TS hood here? how you like it? heard a few complaints with seibon (although I still trust it, especially for the price).
Im having fittment problems with the TS. I talked to Seibon people and they told me since i have the motordyne 5/16 plenum that it wont fit right.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:48 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by serg 350z
Im having fittment problems with the TS. I talked to Seibon people and they told me since i have the motordyne 5/16 plenum that it wont fit right.
That's BS since the stock hood will fit with the 5/16 spacer. Seibon "claims" fitment like OEM. Of course, this is definitely not the case. We have two of their TS hoods here. While they fit somewhat close, they definitely don't fit like OEM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

I've got all my TS hoods to fit fine. It just takes some tinkering with the latch and hinges to get it to fit 100% perfect. Thats why professional installation is recommended.
Jim
Old 10-26-2006, 06:47 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by CarbonLTD
I've got all my TS hoods to fit fine. It just takes some tinkering with the latch and hinges to get it to fit 100% perfect. Thats why professional installation is recommended.
Jim
I don't want them to just fit fine. They definitely do not fit like stock, which Seibon claims they will. It is not a latch or hinge problem. When the gaps on the sides are larger than stock, all the messing with the latch and hinges won't get you anything.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

..yes it will. If the gap is on the side you simply dremel the holes in the factory hinges and you can slide it side to side. If you have $1000+ to drop on a hood then I say go for it. I on the other hand would rather have a 3-5lbs heavier wet carbon fiber hood and use the remaining cash to get a hatch or performance upgrade. I've installed 3 TS hoods on Z's and yes they did take some tinkering to get them to fit like I wanted them to. No aftermarket hood is going to fit like OEM.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 AM
THE TECH

..yes it will. If the gap is on the side you simply dremel the holes in the factory hinges and you can slide it side to side. If you have $1000+ to drop on a hood then I say go for it. I on the other hand would rather have a 3-5lbs heavier wet carbon fiber hood and use the remaining cash to get a hatch or performance upgrade. I've installed 3 TS hoods on Z's and yes they did take some tinkering to get them to fit like I wanted them to. No aftermarket hood is going to fit like OEM.
Sir, you tell me how to make the gaps on BOTH sides of the car decrease by messing with the factory hinges. If you line up the hood on the car in the center, there are equal gaps on both sides (larger than stock). If you get one side of the hood to line up with a nice gap, you will get a very large gap on the other side of the car. You cannot eliminate this by dremeling the hinge.

I know that most likely all aftermarket hoods won't fit like OEM, but Seibon makes the claim all over their site that they will.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 AM
savvy

if the motordyne spacer fits perfectly fine under the stock strut bar why would the hood be having problems fitting with it on? Is it rubbing on the plenum now because its a tad bit higher?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

be sure to re-clear coat the real Top secret hood with UV coating.. else the hood resin is gonna yellow on you.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 AM
davidf

I currently have a TS and though I'm using hood pins fitment is very good. I did dremel a little on my hinges to bring it forward but I'm also using a Aerosync bumper which may be why I had to dremel slightly. All in all I satisfied.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 AM
LiNks

I have been trying to fit my seibon TS hood now for 2 weeks and have had no patients.... i could not make it latch, however the gaps on the side and front looked pretty good, now i just put the OEM hood back on and my first try tightning the bolts it latched perfect. Now i have to take the car to the body shop to get the hood on and they have to drill holes for hood pins too cause i dont trust it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 AM
cavallino33

I had a seibon scoop on my wrx. I was not impressed with the quality. To of the bolt holes were completely off, the weave wasn't very good and it started to yellow over time.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Originally Posted by LiNks
I have been trying to fit my seibon TS hood now for 2 weeks and have had no patients.... i could not make it latch, however the gaps on the side and front looked pretty good, now i just put the OEM hood back on and my first try tightning the bolts it latched perfect. Now i have to take the car to the body shop to get the hood on and they have to drill holes for hood pins too cause i dont trust it.
Did you try adjusting the height of your stock latch. 90% of the time that the problem.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 AM
davidf

Actually my latch loop on the hood was to short from the get go but was of no concern to me since I'm using pins anyway. I never really like hood pins until I was forced to use them and now I like em alot. Trust me drilling for hood pins is no big deal. I've had a lot of CF hoods and most would shake somewhat at highway speeds but the pins keep it solid as a rock.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
sponsorsthisway

I've never had a problem with my TS shaking. It is rock solid without hood pins but I do have that problem with the latching you guys are talking about. Its such a pain to get it to latch down right. I almost never want to open my hood cause I know its gonna be a nuisance.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 PM
LiNks

Did you try adjusting the height of your stock latch. 90% of the time that the problem.
Should i be adjusting the height up or down? I guess I have nothing to loose at this point. The OEM one goes on so easy anyway. But i am going to eliminate the latch and go with the aerocatch/top secret locking hood pins.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Should i be adjusting the height up or down? I guess I have nothing to loose at this point. The OEM one goes on so easy anyway. But i am going to eliminate the latch and go with the aerocatch/top secret locking hood pins.
It depends, usually down. I would suggest trying it, thats most likely the problem. Aerocatch hood pins are pretty sweet. I think im going to start offering them with hoods. Let me know if adjusting the latch helps.
Jim
Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 PM
slinksZ

Is the TS dry carbon? For the extra ching it should be, and if so most of the time you will not have that high gloss. Dry carbon is where its at when it comes to weight savings though.

Quick Reply: Top Secret vs. Seibon