Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble popping hatch, penny trick not helping???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble popping hatch, penny trick not helping???

So the hatch is a bit heavy for the poppers after installing the Nismo wing; catch won't release it completely when popped (and yes, I took out the counter weight. Took off my rear wiper and motor, too, for that matter). The lifters are fine; the hatch doesn't fall when raised; it's just the strength of the poppers that lift it from the catch.

I tried the penny trick; 3 pennys in each, then 4. Hit and miss at first with three pennys, then it seemed to work great with four, but after a few days, it's right back to not popping it up high enough again.

I made the mistake of trying 5 pennys once and was rewarded with two nice little dimples on my hatch from the inside , as the addition of that many pannys compressed the spring so much and pushed the rod that runs up the middle of the spring up into the sheetmetal. Trip to PDR guy fixed that up and I went back to three pennys. To be safe with four, I cut down the shaft a little so as not to get a repeat, but am still warry of going to 5 pannys again, especially since 4 seemed to work great at first, but now doesn't.

Is there anything else I can try? Any alternative to the penny trick? I thought about a stronger spring, but have no idea where to get one the right size, plus I dismantled one of the poppers before and was very lucky to get it back together; major B!ATCH, so I doub't I could do it with a stronger spring.

HELP! Need suggestions, PLZ.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:38 AM
MustGoFastR

Anyone?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
davidf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats weird cause mine works fine, {no pennies}. I don't suppose hatch adjustment would help!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
MustGoFastR

Yeah, it's weird; I wonder if I just need new poppers or something?

Hatch adjustment how? What is there to adjust?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:13 PM
minispider

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Anyone?
use a roll of quarters....stop being cheap
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

sound like its time for a CF hatch and lexan rear window
Old 11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by minispider
use a roll of quarters....stop being cheap
bahah..

I have 3 pennies in there and it still won't open. You can buy Nismo hatch shocks which are like $250 at performance nissan. I use my head to keep the damn trunk open, cuz my wing is too heavy
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
masterj26

Originally Posted by Cannysage
bahah..

I have 3 pennies in there and it still won't open. You can buy Nismo hatch shocks which are like $250 at performance nissan. I use my head to keep the damn trunk open, cuz my wing is too heavy

LOL i do the same thing, i have the INGS spoiler. Only other shocks are the nismo ones for 250
Old 11-07-2006, 05:38 PM
MustGoFastR

Yeah, my shocks are fine, though; they don't pop the hatch up out of the catch when you hit the release, the spring things do. Might just try new ones; they're like $17 each, but I dunno if it'll do any good.

As for opening it, I don't have to relatch it all the way, I just grab the edge of the hatch and lift as I hit the release. Works the same if it only partially pops up. Real PITA, though, as I open my hatch at least 4X a day.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOO I never said to use more pennies on each side. I would never use that many due to the fact that it can leave dimples in the hatch. I have used this penny trick since I discovered it and only in chilly weather does it not work.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 AM
davidf

Yeah, it's weird; I wonder if I just need new poppers or something?

Hatch adjustment how? What is there to adjust?
Well I'm not sure if it will adjust but a thought was if it were pulled down a little tighter it would be more likely to pop up better when released. It may be adjustable under the plastic. Just a thought.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Ed 718
NOOOOOOOOOOOO I never said to use more pennies on each side. I would never use that many due to the fact that it can leave dimples in the hatch. I have used this penny trick since I discovered it and only in chilly weather does it not work.

Heh, yeah, I found that out the hard way...

Hmm, it has been cooler here lately; maybe that has something to do with it. Supposed to be mid eighties today, though, so we'll see if it works when I get off work today. I still have 4 pennys in each side and it's fine since I cut the shafts down a little.

Only other thing I can think of is to somehow wedge something in between the spring coils in a place or two to out more tension on the spring from the inside. This won't affect how far it pushes the pin up into the hatch like the pennys do...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 AM
bonusfrag

Yeah, my shocks are fine, though; they don't pop the hatch up out of the catch when you hit the release, the spring things do. Might just try new ones; they're like $17 each, but I dunno if it'll do any good..
I dont think that is entirely true. I replaced the stock shocks w/ the heavier strength ones from 350zsource.com. Not only do I no longer fear for my life, but the hatch now pops properly as well. I believe the heavier shocks helped because there is now more force pushing up and outwards from the shocks wanting to decompress. I don't know how else it would all of a sudden decide to work again.

You are lucky you are in that Texas heat, that's why your hatch hasn't killed you yet. I've been playing the "Lets see if I can get my golf clubs out of the trunk before I get my head chopped off" game since September here in Maryland, before I had them shocks replaced.

Last edited by bonusfrag; 11-08-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:54 AM
davidf

You could get the Seibon carbon hatch but then I'd have to find you and kill you.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by bonusfrag
I dont think that is entirely true. I replaced the stock shocks w/ the heavier strength ones from 350zsource.com. Not only do I no longer fear for my life, but the hatch now pops properly as well. I believe the heavier shocks helped because there is now more force pushing up and outwards from the shocks wanting to decompress. I don't know how else it would all of a sudden decide to work again.

You are lucky you are in that Texas heat, that's why your hatch hasn't killed you yet. I've been playing the "Lets see if I can get my golf clubs out of the trunk before I get my head chopped off" game since September here in Maryland, before I had them shocks replaced.
Hmm, maybe; just no way I'm forking out that kind of cash for the heavy duty struts if my hatch doesn't fall, though...
Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by davidf
You could get the Seibon carbon hatch but then I'd have to find you and kill you.
yeah, but then I'd have to get a CF hood, A-pillars and roof overlay to go with it... not to mention al all CF Nismo wing. ugh...
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
MustGoFastR

Ok, I had some thick washers laying around and I cut them into sections that I could wedge between the spring coils to produce more tension when they are compressed. I just used one section of washer per spring, per side and that seems to have done the trick (in conjunction with the 4 pennys I have on each side). We'll see if it holds...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mc350z
mine wont release either every know and then because of the nismo wing. its also gotten to where the shocks wont keep the hatch open anymore.

but im not paying like $250 for the new shocks

as for the hatch pop thing if it doesnt release i just shut it and try again until it works hadnt tried the penny thing yet
Call your local truck camper/ or bed lid sales store. They have gas props for cheap. here you can get nearly any size or lb rating for no more than 20 bucks each if you really want to replace them.
- J
Old 12-04-2006, 06:44 AM
GreekZ33

check out strutwise...

Quick Reply: Trouble popping hatch, penny trick not helping???