Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk lid struts do not hold when it is cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 AM
.Sin.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring it to ur dealer and let them fix it for you...

i have same issue before, they order me a new trunk lid struts.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Beaker02

Originally Posted by .Sin.
Bring it to ur dealer and let them fix it for you...

i have same issue before, they order me a new trunk lid struts.
At 67K mi. for me, I don't think it's a warrenty issue.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Tru350z

Originally Posted by josebob
sears sell replacment call strongarms something like 30 bucks for a set.
Do you have a part number for replacement parts?
Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Muzlimchu

Originally Posted by Minda
At least it hurts a little less knowing that I was not alone
For the last month I've been using the technique below. Someone has alredy suggested that and it works well for me.
After opening the trunk lid, push it till the uppermost position and when at it continnue to apply upwards force for 1-2 sec (i.e. still push it up). After that the trunk holds firm and it takes just 2 extra sec.

I was doing that over the summer...now it doesn't stay up at all. To use the trunk, I hold it up with my head. I will be taking it in for replacemenc (i am still under warrenty) that at some point when i decide to take it to the dealer. Do i need to tell them ahead of time to make sure they have them in stock?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
DB Mike

welp, ive been having this same BS issue ever since winter came about... took it to the dealer to be replaced under the extended warranty i have.. of course they call me back "trunk stays up, dont know what your talking about"... obviously they let the thing sit in their nice heated garage area for an hour before trying to open it..unreal.. what can i do to prove it to these morons?? i guess make another appointment and bring the guy out there before i get shuttled off to work?? just an annoying process to keep going through taking it to the dealer all the time.. all to have them tell me im dreaming it up..
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DB Mike
welp, ive been having this same BS issue ever since winter came about... took it to the dealer to be replaced under the extended warranty i have.. of course they call me back "trunk stays up, dont know what your talking about"... obviously they let the thing sit in their nice heated garage area for an hour before trying to open it..unreal.. what can i do to prove it to these morons?? i guess make another appointment and bring the guy out there before i get shuttled off to work?? just an annoying process to keep going through taking it to the dealer all the time.. all to have them tell me im dreaming it up..
I had the same problem with two different dealers, they take it in the garage and heat it then say it is ok. I finally had mine rebuild by Strutwise, two winters now no problems. Screw NISSAN and their crappy service and dealers, I will never buy a NISSAN again.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Tayzzer22

I've been having the same problem.. trunk hitting me on the head, and having to hit the trunk release twice. Usually happens when its cold out, but I live in California!!!! Its cold, but not that cold! And I have about 4 pennies on each side! The first time you hit the trunk release, it basically breaks a "seal". You can hear it.. second time is when you can actually pull it open. I also agree paying $230 for a working replacement is ridiculous. But maybe that's the price you pay for having a nismo spoiler?

Anyone know of a cheaper replacement for a car with an aftermarket spoiler? Does that $30 from sears work with an aftermarket spoiler?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently started selling Stronger Hatch Struts that work perfectly for those of you with heavy, after market spoilers, or if your OEM struts just don't hold up like they should: Great price at $85 shipped for a set!

https://my350z.com/forum/body-exterior/251518-fs-heavy-duty-hatch-struts.html#post3363485
Old 02-23-2007, 11:57 AM
johnlotusboy

I bought mine from JT and they are the answer to cold weather and Nismo wing problem.
Prompt service and no problems.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a GB for these on another site which comes WITH the hardware.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Axel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too purchased a set of struts from JT. One of the best mods I did! No more worries about the guillotine hatch lopping off my hands or head.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:04 AM
DB Mike

hmm... i just might have to look into it.. just annoying to think that i have this extended warranty that cost the guy before me like 3 grand to get only to have it be useless when crap like this happens.. but ya, thanks for the info all!!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll now be selling set with and without mounting hardware! The FS thread for the sets WITH hardware should be up by tonight.

PM me if you're interested
Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Track

Originally Posted by Jenn350Z
Mine's still good but the trunk popper doesn't release all the way if you hit trunk release button on the remote. I gotta hit it twice before it gives it.
That is a known issue and Nissan has stronger replacement springs that will make sure the hatch clears the latch on the first try. They replaced mine for free when I went in for an oil change and I was not even having a problem.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by Track
That is a known issue and Nissan has stronger replacement springs that will make sure the hatch clears the latch on the first try. They replaced mine for free when I went in for an oil change and I was not even having a problem.

As others have posted, it's a crap shoot based on what dealer you go to.

My luck was zero, no problem, I fixed it.

And as much as I love my Z, I will never buy another new Nissan due to the really bad dealership shops.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
As others have posted, it's a crap shoot based on what dealer you go to.

My luck was zero, no problem, I fixed it.

And as much as I love my Z, I will never buy another new Nissan due to the really bad dealership shops.
Seriously! I hate Nissan Dealerships. They don't treat you well at all.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Track

Really? I love my dealership near me. Every time there has been any updates they are the ones who tell me about it when I go in for service, and then they update it for free, and have even given me a "loaner car" when I didn't even need one.

I find the service dept to be friendly, helpful, and courteous. I genuinly like my service rep.

On the other hand, the entire sales staff should be dragged into the streets and set on fire while being chopped into tiny bloody chunks with an ax.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
gringott

Originally Posted by Track
Really? I love my dealership near me. Every time there has been any updates they are the ones who tell me about it when I go in for service, and then they update it for free, and have even given me a "loaner car" when I didn't even need one.

I find the service dept to be friendly, helpful, and courteous. I genuinly like my service rep.

On the other hand, the entire sales staff should be dragged into the streets and set on fire while being chopped into tiny bloody chunks with an ax.
My closest dealership uses me to be informed about TSBs, etc. They also like leaving the bathroom key that is chained to a sawed off broom handle on my windshield wipers. The parts guy is ok, tho. Sales, well, what can I say, I guess I like them better than lawyers.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
My closest dealership uses me to be informed about TSBs, etc. They also like leaving the bathroom key that is chained to a sawed off broom handle on my windshield wipers. The parts guy is ok, tho. Sales, well, what can I say, I guess I like them better than lawyers.
lol

Quick Reply: Trunk lid struts do not hold when it is cold