Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
mikeSSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Spoiler question

I was wondering how the OEM spoilers attach on. Sorry I just got my Z a couple days ago and I like the spoilers on the grand touring Zs. How would I put it on if I bought it?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:02 PM
rockinbboy

Its drilled. I think a few people have tried double sided tape, but the dealer usually installs this part drilled.

Personally I wouldn't use tape for parts like a spoiler. At high speeds, various weather conditions, etc, its bound to fall off.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:09 PM
mikeSSD

thanks! how much do they usually cost?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
jsupetran

I installed mine after buying it off a board member. Trust me, 3m double sided tape for the low-profile spoiler works. Its on there super tight; I imagine if you force it out at this point, you'd take the paint off. So far, its gone through some rain, a dozen carwashes, and a harsh socal summer. Now if we were talking about a park-bench spoiler, I'd agree about drilling. I doubt the small spoiler aids much in downforce and is really there for cosmetic purposes.

The install was just a matter of sneaking into sneaking into a toyota dealership where they had a Z with the spoiler, taking measurements with a ruler, taking a few pics of various angles. Then I went to kragen for the 3m tape, applied it to the spoiler, cleaned up the base of the spoiler. I had masking tape I used and applied to my trunk, then got a pencil, made the measurements, then pressed the spoiler on. I let the spoiler bake under the sun for a few hours and the rest is history.

Last edited by jsupetran; 11-19-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM
z-u-later

You can get these spoilers at Spoiler Depot for $165 ($85 extra painted). You don't need to bolt-on their spoilers -- they come with the double-edged tape. The OEM type spoilers are small so there's no need to bolt them. Go to the site below for info:

http://spoilerdepot.com/Catalog.asp?idModel=268&idB=
Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 PM
titanjc

Originally Posted by jsupetran
I installed mine after buying it off a board member. Trust me, 3m double sided tape for the low-profile spoiler works. Its on there super tight; I imagine if you force it out at this point, you'd take the paint off. So far, its gone through some rain, a dozen carwashes, and a harsh socal summer. Now if we were talking about a park-bench spoiler, I'd agree about drilling. I doubt the small spoiler aids much in downforce and is really there for cosmetic purposes.

The install was just a matter of sneaking into sneaking into a toyota dealership where they had a Z with the spoiler, taking measurements with a ruler, taking a few pics of various angles. Then I went to kragen for the 3m tape, applied it to the spoiler, cleaned up the base of the spoiler. I had masking tape I used and applied to my trunk, then got a pencil, made the measurements, then pressed the spoiler on. I let the spoiler bake under the sun for a few hours and the rest is history.
I've always been curious, when you say that you used tape, do you guys use a strip the entire length of the spoiler, or are you just applying a few pieces in some strategic places? I'm just imagining what you said, about taking the paint off if you removed the spoiler... I can just see a long strip of paint getting torn right off...

That would =

I ask because my car is wingless and I've been debating getting one of the spoilerdepot or Ebay spoilers that are painted and shipped for like $180-200, and throwing it on with the double-sided tape.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
mikeSSD

Thanks for info!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Takfire

I guess taping in a few strategic places would work.
I simply cut a small strip of ds tape and went the entire perimeter of the underside of the spoiler.
Just depends if you are planning on removing the spoiler.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeSSD
I was wondering how the OEM spoilers attach on. Sorry I just got my Z a couple days ago and I like the spoilers on the grand touring Zs. How would I put it on if I bought it?
The OEM spoiler uses double sided tape and you have to drill holes. There won't be a problem. Just be sure to use the template properly.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
jsupetran

I just cut the 3m double-sided tape and placed it on the spoiler's perimeter. If you look underneath the spoiler, there are grooves in place already where you can place the tape at.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:21 PM
MarJenAri

I just got a 2006 Magnetic Black Z and wanted to get an OEM spoiler for it. I went to Courtesy Parts and I can get it painted and shipped for $423.
I went to Spoiler Depot and didn't see the Magnetic Black option.
Does anyone have any ideas or other options where I can get this spoiler cheaper or should I just stop being cheap and order it from Courtesy?
Thanks.

Edit: Assume the magnetic black = black pearl.

sorry.

Last edited by MarJenAri; 12-31-2006 at 03:33 PM.