Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panel Options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Sk8fe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel Options?

I have a 2003 Track Ed. 350Z, which I run out on the track (road course) for non-competition driver ed. events. It needs to be still street legal (no trailer and its not a dedicated track car yet). I just purchased two Sparco Pro2000 seats, sliders and Sparco bottom mount rails specific for the 350Z. Just a quick note to anyone thinking of doing same, the passenger side Sparco rail needs metal work to actually line up with the stock mounting points. I don't know why Sparco actually thinks their rail lines up because a quick one minute check would show them otherwise, so unless you can weld or have a shop you can take it to, I wouldn't recommend it. I needed a passenger side setup for instructors or I would have left it alone and kept it stock. Sparco driver side is fine. My stock seats were 47lbs according to my bathroom scale and my Sparco Pro2000 seats with sliders and rails were 30lbs. So I shaved 17lbs per side!

Back to my original problem and subsequent question. The Sparco Pro2000 seats (at the shoulders) are slightly too wide and press into the door panel material when you close the door. Without spending big bucks for CF doors (the seats and hardware were expensive enough), I wouldn't get CF doors for side impact safety reasons until I get a full NASCAR style rollcage installed, are there any door panel options out there that aren't as wide as the stock door panel and hug the contour of the door more closely? A thin door panel "skin" just to cover the wires, etc.

I need like 10mm, so unless there is another "thinner" door panel I can purchase, I can either

o remove the door panel completely and drive my car until death or sale do us part with "naked" doors (assuming that would pass state inspection, would it?)
o fire up my air compressor and put on a sanding disk and sand away 10mm of my door panel material until I have enough room (then look to source other stock door panels if I should ever sell it in the future)

Not sure which forum this question should go in (Interior or Track forum), mod, please move accordingly if necessary. Anyone who tracks their Z, what do you do? Anyone who is into modifying thier interiors for car shows, do you know of any other door panel options?