Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milelage

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 AM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 that the mileage is most likley only stored in the gauge cluster...not sure if the car will run without it.

at my previous job, I consulted for insurance companies looking into vehicle fires/fraud type of stuff (I'm a mechanical engineer)...there was a Hummer H2 that was 'reported' stolen - insurance company knew something wasn't right and suspected that the owner put enough miles on the car to be out of warrenty and then had a failure of some sort...simple test showed the engine had blown, but I couldn't determine the mileage b/c they had stripped the interior and took the gauge cluster - no other way to find the mileage [no other service records either], so the owner got his claim paid.....but be careful, if an insurance company thinks something isn't right, they'll willing to spend much more $$ on the case than it's really worth to make sure that other ppl don't try the same thing (I've had cases that we charged over $10K for a car worth less than $5K)

-Peter

Last edited by first350; 12-10-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by first350
+1 that the mileage is most likley only stored in the gauge cluster...not sure if the car will run without it.

at my previous job, I consulted for insurance companies looking into vehicle fires/fraud type of stuff (I'm a mechanical engineer)...there was a Hummer H2 that was 'reported' stolen - insurance company knew something wasn't right and suspected that the owner put enough miles on the car to be out of warrenty and then had a failure of some sort...simple test showed the engine had blown, but I couldn't determine the mileage b/c they had stripped the interior and took the gauge cluster - no other way to find the mileage [no other service records either], so the owner got his claim paid.....but be careful, if an insurance company thinks something isn't right, they'll willing to spend much more $$ on the case than it's really worth to make sure that other ppl don't try the same thing (I've had cases that we charged over $10K for a car worth less than $5K)

-Peter
thanks for the info...some people on here really dont agree with this but like i said earlier im not doing this to burn the next buyer...im keeping my z till it dies for good...but i do put alot of miles on my car and its just a thought since they do have alot more prob. then s2k's and other 34k cars
Old 12-10-2006, 07:56 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Well, first off, if you're thinking that EVERYONE's tranny goes out, you're mistaken. The frequency of postings about it here are not neccessarily representative of the entire Z population. Also, what year is your car? They have gone through several revisions to the transmission since the '03 model and I don't think the newest ones are having problems; for any that are, I'd be willing to bet that operator treatment of the tranny has alot to do with it. Do you think you'll pass 60k miles within 4 years of the car first being titled? Regardless of what your odometer reads, when 4 years have passed from the car being sold to it's first owner, the warranty is up on the drivetrain (unless you purchased an extended warranty, but then you wouldn't be worried aboiut the 60k mark).

To answer your question: NO, I don't think anyone has done what you are proposing. Drive the car, enjoy it and you have plenty of warranty left for the time being; if anything was going to go wrong, it'll likely happen within that time frame. If you're so paranoid about it that you're considering such shady measures to begin with, you probably should have bought an extended warranty.

My '03 Track had a 5th gear grind when I bought it in May of '05 with 17k miles. Local dealer (diff. from where I bought it) replaced the tranny under warranty no questions asked. I don't think my tranny is the newest version out and I haven't had any problems at all since. I don't abuse it, either; if you drive the car hard, don't expect not to have to pay in the future for the extra enjoyment you've wrung out of it.

i have an 06 grand touring...the tranny was just one issue, as you've prob. read about the 06 oil prob....i love my z but some of the prob. they have are quite expensive....what happens if in a few years down the line i forget to put oil in my car every 1500 miles and the engine goes....no big deal if its under warranty but if its not and i still have a 600 dollar car payment and a house payment...thats alot of extra cash to have to throw up...just a thought..i have always been a honda guy but couldnt deal with the tinyness of the s2k
Old 12-10-2006, 08:39 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I understand your line of thinking; still doesn't make it right (at least don't look for approval on a public forum ). Really, though, I don't think thee's a way to do what you want; they build cars these days with fraud in mind and it's not so easy to cheat as it used to be by just unhooking a cable on the back of the gauge. Now if one were to obtain another cluster out of a wrecked Z or something... well, there are always ways, but I wouldn't condone them.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:19 AM
davidf

Damn you have an 03 w/5,500 original miles , talk about low.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:00 PM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by davidf
huh..i have an 06
Old 12-11-2006, 05:02 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy an extended warranty. Odometer fraud is still fraud, even if you plan on keeping the car.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 AM
davidf

Damn I thought you said 03, still you have 5 yr/60,000 warranty I would'nt worry just yet, you have quite a while.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:11 AM
pushing4wardbac

err.. just disable the speedo, only need to cross two tires/solder in switch to turn your speedo on and off, that is how the car knows how far it has gone, because it can tell two things speed and time.

not recommending it but it has worked on other forums that I know of for other cars however ours may not be that simple.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 PM
st350z

how do you take the cluster out? any thread on that?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 AM
AUtigers350z

I actually found this out on accident.. Shortly after I purchased my Z, I was installing my Alpine head unit. I think I ran into some sort of problem and had to get to work asap. I left the gauge cluster/center console off on the way to work (nothing on the instrument panel worked) and when I got back the odometer hadn't changed.. so i guess i have about 12 more miles on my car than the dash says But yeah, I wouldn't suggest doing it on purpose..
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by davidf

yea, someone probably replaced the cluster after they flipped 100k miles. Karma's a b*tch huh?

I don't care the reasoning...its wrong. You could get in a couple of wrecks and decide you hate the Z now....ppl change their minds....i know I do all the time. Diiiiiiirty...whether for warranty or to rip someone off. You bought a sports car...if you can't afford to maintain it....sell that sh*t.

I just dropped a grip at the performance shop (roughly $1800) a month or so ago. They installed the parts I brought them and they tuned the car on the dyno. They burned up the stock clutch on the dyno. I had to throw down an extra $1200 (totaling $3000)...point is....I did not anticipate this problem and had to pay for it. Paid cash (never credit). I'm not rich, but I knew when I bought the Z that maintenance wouldn't be cheap. When something breaks, I have enough sense to have money put away for things like this (instead of committing a felony by screwing with mileage). Couldn't be happier now though...not everyone has 440wtq in their daily driver.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by Old School
yea, someone probably replaced the cluster after they flipped 100k miles. Karma's a b*tch huh?

I don't care the reasoning...its wrong. You could get in a couple of wrecks and decide you hate the Z now....ppl change their minds....i know I do all the time. Diiiiiiirty...whether for warranty or to rip someone off. You bought a sports car...if you can't afford to maintain it....sell that sh*t.

I just dropped a grip at the performance shop (roughly $1800) a month or so ago. They installed the parts I brought them and they tuned the car on the dyno. They burned up the stock clutch on the dyno. I had to throw down an extra $1200 (totaling $3000)...point is....I did not anticipate this problem and had to pay for it. Paid cash (never credit). I'm not rich, but I knew when I bought the Z that maintenance wouldn't be cheap. When something breaks, I have enough sense to have money put away for things like this (instead of committing a felony by screwing with mileage). Couldn't be happier now though...not everyone has 440wtq in their daily driver.

its not about regular maintnence...im not going to do anything to my z...dont need too...i just meant for the tranny and oil problems which i said earlier
Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by pushing4wardbac
err.. just disable the speedo, only need to cross two tires/solder in switch to turn your speedo on and off, that is how the car knows how far it has gone, because it can tell two things speed and time.

not recommending it but it has worked on other forums that I know of for other cars however ours may not be that simple.
thanks for the response
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3506MT
its not about regular maintnence...im not going to do anything to my z...dont need too...i just meant for the tranny and oil problems which i said earlier
Regardless....don't do it. Driver her...if she goes bad, she goes bad....most everyone who has had these problems show symptoms the first 20k miles.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
TurboSteve

thanks for the info...some people on here really dont agree with this
Yeah. They're called the United States Government, you ****ing criminal.

Oh and by the way, it's spelled "mileage".

Last edited by TurboSteve; 12-12-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by TurboSteve
Yeah. They're called the United States Government, you ****ing criminal.

Oh and by the way, it's spelled "mileage".
thanks for the spell check paper clip guy
Old 12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by Old School
Regardless....don't do it. Driver her...if she goes bad, she goes bad....most everyone who has had these problems show symptoms the first 20k miles.
yeah thats what im gonna have to do it looks like
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
TurboSteve

thanks for the spell check paper clip guy
OK! I'll be the "paper clip" guy, just as long as I'm not a criminal.. works for me
Old 12-12-2006, 09:59 AM
GT3506MT

Originally Posted by TurboSteve
OK! I'll be the "paper clip" guy, just as long as I'm not a criminal.. works for me
sweet....would you guys still like ferris buller if it worked for him? i bet you would...maybe ill just get a time machine...i hear they dont burn 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles..and they have a million mile warranty

Quick Reply: milelage