Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diy paint project

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Zlayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diy paint project

It seems like alot of people do their own work when it comes to performance mods, but I havent seen that alot of people paint their own body parts. I have recently purchased some nismo sides and rears (off a local Z owner)that had been freshly painted DB, and I need them to be Redline so Ive decided to paint them myself. My father-in-law has a nice compressor and a gravity fed paint gun so I should be good to go in that department. I got my paint at a local paint shop, and the guy there has been helpful in answering my painting questions. He said to use a scotchbright pad to scuff the DBs clearcoat for good paint adhesion, then clean and dry, followed by using a tack cloth, then paint and clear. Hopefully I wont screw up!! If it turns out good, then I will have saved alot of money + maybe down the road I can get good enough to repaint my rock chipped front end! Hopefully Ill be painting friday cause im off work, so Ill post up before and afters. If anybody has any words of wisdom, go ahead and chime in.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 PM
350z00m

i dont think painting is the hard part.. whats hard is paint matching... gl tho! lets see some pics when done
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, good luck. Good thing about painting is that if you screw up you can always have a shop re-do it; no harm done.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Kurru

the painting and fading isn't the hard part. having a nice clean atmosphere where u wont have tons of fisheyes and such is near impossible unless u are in a controlled atmosphere like a spray booth.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 PM
wckdclw

yeah, i paint my own stuff because i work at a body shop, a garage job you have to worry about the temperature becaue the colder it i the better chance of runs you have, and the dirt is usually a big problem, even with the tack cloth the clear stays wet for awile....and hopefully the paint shop got the right match, some codes have alternate color matches
Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Kurru

Originally Posted by wckdclw
yeah, i paint my own stuff because i work at a body shop, a garage job you have to worry about the temperature becaue the colder it i the better chance of runs you have, and the dirt is usually a big problem, even with the tack cloth the clear stays wet for awile....and hopefully the paint shop got the right match, some codes have alternate color matches
yea the guy who owned Z before i did. he just got the hood painted and the color doesn't match for crap. so now i'm gonna have it repainted when ig et some more cash on hand.