Sponsored by:

SUNROOF on my Brick I just had Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SUNROOF on my Brick I just had Installed

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
Well, I went and did it! I had a hole put in the roof of my Z. I thought about it for a long time, waited until the convertible came out, perhaps I would upgrade to it, but alas, I didn't like the look of the convertible top. So being a SoCal native, needing lots of coastal air and sunshine on me from all sides and above, I gave in. Plus I saw those pictures someone else had posted, it looked rather well. So I called around, found a local San Diego shop (ASC American Sunroof Company), liked the people, good price ($795-a bit more then usual due to the curtain airbags, but still an excellent price and much better then the dealer charging $3900). So I thought about it overnight, tossing and turning, stomach churning...how could I let someone cut a big hole in my precious???

Somehow I found myself driving to the ASC shop the next morning (this past Tuesday), dropped off the car. It was the first Z sunroof they had worked on (nervousness kicks in). Went away to work with my fingers crossed. Got a few calls on my cell phone, oh no, I thought, did they cut too much, jig when they should have jagged, but it was just salespeople trying to sell me long distance, toner kits, etc.

Finally late that afternoon, I get the call, it is ready. I rush down to the shop.

WOW! It looks good! I like! I feel so much better!

Anyways, Kit is a Webasto Stratos 300 Med, Electric. One touch with 3 presets (2 user controlled, 1 fully open). One touch close. Auto close when turn off car. Controls very easy to use. Rather then a hard sunscreen (the piece that goes under the glass that you move out of the way). Kit is a fabric sunscreen. So you can somewhat see through it. A hard sunscreen would not fit in the slope of the Z they said. This fabric sunscreen looks excellent, most would never even notice. The sunscreen is a manual operation (just slide it back/forth).

What about noise? It does add a little tiny bit more wind noise when closed. Doesn't bother me at all. And when open, the wind noise is very normal, quieter then an open side window, same as it was in my Eclipse. Very acceptable. Drove around on freeway at 60-80, fully open, closed, partially open, wind noise a-ok.

New rattle. Well what do you expect? I already had 4 or so rattles in the car from various places. One more tiny one that seems to come from the sunroof, who cares at this point. I can barely hear it (especially over the roar of my misaligned tires). Unable to hear it with Stereo or the Sunroof open.

Headliner. When I dropped it off in the morning, they said they would have to either replace the entire headliner or re-upholstery it. Hmmm, I didn't like the sound of that. I thought the current headliner with the little bumpy design was neat. Well, when I came to pick it up, they had figured out how to re-use the same headliner! It looks good. I did lose about 1 inch of space between my head and headliner since the sunroof frame hidden under the headliner needed that space.

When fully open, the rear hatch operates perfectly, no chance of the two ever hitting. Plenty of space between fully open sunroof and fully open rear hatch.

Only complaint I actually have is that every other time I get out of the car after driving around, with key out of ignition, the door ding goes off when I open the door to get out, and open it to get back in. Next time, it doesn't do that, the time after it does, etc., so some toggle thing a little weird I think. I'm still testing scenarios on this one.

Also probably something that will go away shortly, a slight oily smell from the materials of the sunroof (metal, lubricant, etc.). I'm expecting this smell to dissipate quickly.

Stability of car, will see if I notice any differences during the next Palomar mountain run. I really doubt I'll notice any changes. There is plenty of roof left to keep whatever stability the roof added intact IMHO.

Pics in the following messages.
Well, you picked the right company. I had been trying to remember the shop that did convertible conversions when the Z custom convertibles were spotted. American Sunroof Co.(ASC), if I am remembering correctly, have been in business for a long time and have earned a well deserved reputation for their custom work. Not for me, but looks like a polished conversion.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:20 PM
erock

Wow very clean looking..... Where in SD are they located? Do they warranty their work/product........ I was spoiled by my last car's sunroof....... I miss it, but I don't know if I'd do it on the Z...... Maybe, maybe not..... Next time there's a SD meet would you mind takin me for a spin so I can hear the cabin noise.....
Old 03-26-2003, 07:21 PM
jrreed350togo

Thumbs up

Looks great...If sunroofs were optional from the factory I don't think it could look much better. They did and excellent job.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 PM
djlynch

awesome.

My boy dropped by the other day with his g35, and I was SO jealous of his sunroof (and back seat, for that).

That looks GREAT. I am too far from Cali. to go there to get it done, though.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:42 PM
jeffa

Don't really like it. I think it screws up the sleek lines of the roof...but too each his own. Not for me, but hope you enjoy it!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:51 AM
Zmoney

It looks ok to me.

Who is going to get a removable targa top next?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:13 AM
padam07

Originally posted by ares
it does fit great, but just looks unnussual, they could certainly use to make it in the right color... we all have the same color roof, and it doesnt go IMO.

but other than color, it looks like it belongs from the inside.
I was thinking the same thing. From the outside it looks strange and too small but from the indside it looks perfect other thant than the color of the dun screen. I wonder what it would look like if it were not a sun roof but a moon roof, having a body color panel rather than a piece of glass. Thank god you got a clean install.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:24 PM
spacemanspiff

Two days of driving around with my new Sunroof. Loving it even more! Some daylight pics to be posted soon, easier to see what it looks like. As some mentioned...the color of the sunscreen really is darker then I first noticed. And normally I would think that weird...but I actually like it. The darker sunscreen color matches the darker highlights of my Frost interior...while most of the interior is a light grey...there is a lot of dark gray highlight everywhere in the car also. The sunscreen seems to go with it. Each to his own tastes. So far...I have been driving to/from work, errands, etc...5 hours or so in the car last two days...sunroof open the entire time. The right choice for me.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:00 PM
socalsoda

I dont think I would have the ***** to do it... But it looks very good, and I bet it makes the driving even better.... especially long distances..
I used to have the last generation Eclipse Spyder Convertible and an Acura Legend with a sunroof... I would take the sunroof over the convert anyday.
Congrats... Looks great...

I bet the Z will offer the sunroof eventially... Even if it is the permanately closed type like in the new Maxima.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:36 PM
altima35

Really looks great. I've had my Z for 4 months and in the past I've always done some aftermarket mods to my cars. The sunroof will definitely be a consideration. My only concerns are if there is a big increase in cabin noise and the potential for leaks down the road.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:59 AM
spacemanspiff

Thanks VQRacer for posting these into an album at
https://my350z.com/gallery/albun94

For those that haven't taken a look at it yet...we added about 10 pictures taking in the daylight, so you can see more details. Check both pages of the album as the Daylight pics are spread between the two.

Fully open on freeway at 60-80...wind noise extremely low, very little wind buffering going into cockpit area. I'm a happy camper. Much better and safer then a side window being open while driving around to get fresh air.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:26 PM
3rdpower

CONGRADS!

Not for ME!! BUT GOOD FOR YOU!!
Old 03-28-2003, 04:20 PM
lemans

Cool

Thanks VQRacer for posting these into an album at
https://my350z.com/gallery/albun94

For those that haven't taken a look at it yet...we added about 10 pictures taking in the daylight, so you can see more details. Check both pages of the album as the Daylight pics are spread between the two.

Fully open on freeway at 60-80...wind noise extremely low, very little wind buffering going into cockpit area. I'm a happy camper. Much better and safer then a side window being open while driving around to get fresh air.

VERY NICE JOB! And you are making use of it. Definitely choose the sunroof oer the convertible if decide I need air. Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Zrated

Very clean looking install. I like the Brickyard/Frost combo. Enjoy it!
Old 05-02-2003, 03:03 PM
spacemanspiff

Thought I'd give an update to you all on my sunroof. I've had it a bit over a month now, put about 2K miles on the car with it (I'm at 12K now and got the car in September 02).

I still love having this sunroof. Although I have some cautions for others considering to get one.

The sunroof is beginning to rattle more, I think the glass is rubbing on the rubber gasket and because this car has such a tough ride, it's playing havoc on the sunroof. So small rattles can be heard quite often when the sunroof is closed. The car ride really does put some strain on the sunroof.

Since I live in SoCal where it is always sunny, I drive around 99% of the time with the sunroof open partially or fully day or night. So am unable to hear these small rattles when it is open. And this is fine with me. I plan on driving with it open all the time except for those rare occasions of rain. Having it open all the time was why I had it installed.

Those of you with less sunshine might want to rethink getting one of these. I'm thinking the rattles will really get on your nerves over time if you are unable to drive around with the sunroof open all the time.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 PM
ATC Ken

Spaceman:

Very courageous of you to be the first (at least posting) for the sunroof mod. I know many of us are lusting for this mod - we just can't bring ourselves to go the full distance. If nothing else, maybe your mod will inspire Nissan to consider this as an option for later year models. Have you sent you mod pics to Nissan? Let 'em see what is possible with some creativity and their excellent vehicle as a platform.

Good luck...and keep the top open!

Ken
Old 06-09-2003, 10:41 AM
spacemanspiff

Default Update after Palomar Run

Here's the latest update on my sunroof after our Palomar Run this weekend.

See https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=sunroof
for pics from the run if interested.

Anyways, sunroof seemed to have zero impact on car handling on the twisties. I ran harder and faster then ever before. Sunroof open fully the entire time (sunburnt my forehead...owww!!!). No flex or noise or anything weird during the ride. In fact, I liked hearing the road noise (tires screeching around the corners) via the sunroof better then an open side window with the wind blowing directly at you. And easier to hear the other drivers on the radios with the side windows up.

So...I'm very happy with the performance...the sunroof made the drive even better!

As for the rattling when the sunroof is closed that I mentioned in previous post, another member who recently got a sunroof commented that rubber protectant would help cure those rattles...I tried it and it does work.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 AM
DURSO

Default Re: Update after Palomar Run

As for the rattling when the sunroof is closed that I mentioned in previous post, another member who recently got a sunroof commented that rubber protectant would help cure those rattles...I tried it and it does work.
Im still loving mine as well....I second the fact that my sunroof has caused no noticable handling issues.
Glad the Rubber Protectant helped with your rattle, mine is quiet as well now.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:53 AM
mschwartz26

spacemanspiff,

I live in SD and have been thinking about a sunroof for a while now. Is there any other way that I could contact you to discuss this other than on here? I really want to do this but am very very nervous.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
JLCARR

I am having mine installed tomorrow 7/2!! Hope they don't screw it up and cut the hole to big!!

Quick Reply: SUNROOF on my Brick I just had Installed