Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FB hood install/fitment help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:10 PM
PumpedVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FB hood install/fitment help

I am just getting around to fitting my FG hood and have a few questions for ya.

The OEM hood has those double threaded studs to hold the hood to the hinge on but my FB hood just has threaded holes so should I just use a good nut and washer or find some double threaded studs (or what ever you call them) ?

Second best way to attach the weather stripping on the FB hood? it has no pre drilled holes. I remember reading something about replacing them with a product from home depot but couldnt find the post.

last problem is the vents are hitting my SC unit but I need to get this baby bolted down before I can tackle this.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

attaching hood to the metal hinges: bolt with loctite (or nylon lock thread) and flat washer will suffice.. just dont over tighten it else you'll pull the threaded sleeve out of the FRP hood.

the weatherstripping can be drilled into the FRP hood. be sure to use a small drill bit and then 'ease' the stock plastic clips into place.. you can do that. or if you dont want to drill, prep the underside & rubber with alcohol swabs and use heavy duty 3m all weather tape (the grey stuff) from Home depot and attach it to the rubber.. hold / clamp in place.. it has a tendency to lift off of rubber unless you really press hard. both surfaces have to be super clean/free of grease and dirt for it to adhere...

vents hitting the SC.. doh.. shave the vents is the only option i forsee.. if you can't attach using stock latch. hood pin it.

good luck!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
PumpedVA

Originally Posted by Chebosto
attaching hood to the metal hinges: bolt with loctite (or nylon lock thread) and flat washer will suffice.. just dont over tighten it else you'll pull the threaded sleeve out of the FRP hood.

the weatherstripping can be drilled into the FRP hood. be sure to use a small drill bit and then 'ease' the stock plastic clips into place.. you can do that. or if you dont want to drill, prep the underside & rubber with alcohol swabs and use heavy duty 3m all weather tape (the grey stuff) from Home depot and attach it to the rubber.. hold / clamp in place.. it has a tendency to lift off of rubber unless you really press hard. both surfaces have to be super clean/free of grease and dirt for it to adhere...

vents hitting the SC.. doh.. shave the vents is the only option i forsee.. if you can't attach using stock latch. hood pin it.

good luck!

Thanks for the info bro.

Yea I am just going to make the one vent shorter the amound needed to trim off is so small I dont think anybody would ever notice unless pointed out.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 AM
Aeleven

is this the same case with CF hoods?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 AM
eTraxx

Originally Posted by Aeleven
If you are talking about a $600 CF hood then it is 'wet' CF and is the same. It is the same thing with the CF replacing the visible (at the very least) surfaces. If you are talking about a $3000 CF hood then that is 'dry' CF which is a totally different animal and depends on the manufacturer.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeleven

what do you mean? the steps to take for weatherstripping? its pretty much the same for Dry or Wet. most hood mfg aren't going to give u the rubber..
Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Agentman03

Pumped VA !
Lets Here Some Follow up on The FG Hood ?? I have one being delivered Monday and wondered how your making out ?? Pictures ??